PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Bruins vs Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.
The end of the Bruins season was a disappointment, and I really thought they were going to pull a rabbit out of a hat and at least get to game 7. However, they had so many injuries before and during the series that they were basically playing with Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and a bunch of kids. The kids made mistakes, but they also kept them in games and gave a lot of hope for next year. Do you think Bruce Cassidy earned the coaching job? I wish that guy would smile a little - he's so intense. However, I DO think he earned the job, for the aforementioned reasons. He had a bunch of kids that he had to put out there, and even though they didn't win enough games, they were in every single one right to the end.

Edit - and of course Tukka. He played great in this series except for the end of game 2, which again, I don't know how much you can blame him when he has unfamiliar defensive pairs in front of him.

Last edited:
The end of the Bruins season was a disappointment, and I really thought they were going to pull a rabbit out of a hat and at least get to game 7. However, they had so many injuries before and during the series that they were basically playing with Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and a bunch of kids. The kids made mistakes, but they also kept them in games and gave a lot of hope for next year. Do you think Bruce Cassidy earned the coaching job? I wish that guy would smile a little - he's so intense. However, I DO think he earned the job, for the aforementioned reasons. He had a bunch of kids that he had to put out there, and even though they didn't win enough games, they were in every single one right to the end.

I think Cassidy earned the job, in general. But, I also think you move on from him if there's a guy out there that you think is a top coach.

Edit - and of course Tukka. He played great in this series except for the end of game 2, which again, I don't know how much you can blame him when he has unfamiliar defensive pairs in front of him.

Tuuka deserves a full share of blame for game 2, just as he deserves real credit for most of the rest of the series.

Morrow, Spooner, Liles, Belesky, Hayes - Keep the bags packed. Regardless of current status, you're not likely to be back next season.

I think Cassidy earned the job, in general. But, I also think you move on from him if there's a guy out there that you think is a top coach.

Tuuka deserves a full share of blame for game 2, just as he deserves real credit for most of the rest of the series.

Morrow, Spooner, Liles, Belesky, Hayes - Keep the bags packed. Regardless of current status, you're not likely to be back next season.

Agree with all this. I'd keep Cassidy on. I was especially happy with how he managed the youngsters.

I'd like to see Backes get shipped out, but no one's going to take that contract on. He was definitely better as a centerman this year, and I'd look into dealing Krejci this offseason if you're going to be stuck with Backes as your second-line center. Problem is, Krejci's probably at the nadir of his value right now. Stafford could be brought back on a minimum contract, he played well while he was here. Jesse Gabrielle or Zach Senyshyn could push for some scoring line minutes next year too.

Chara, Krug, McAvoy, Carlo, and Chiller are five good defensemen, and McQuaid and Killer are fine rotational 6/7s. Ideally, you'd like to cut Chara's minutes moving forward. Shattenkirk is the guy I'd like to see them grab this offseason, because there's no one else in the organization who can be that #1/2 guy. Someone like Thomas Vanek or even Jagr could be an option on the second-line wing, while Vatrano will hopefully be ready for a top-6 deployment next year as well.

I'm not a bruins fan, but i'm not sold on rask winning a cup.

I'm not sure how to describe the end of the Bruins season. I want to say 'disappointment' because they had a chance to win but even that doesn't feel right.

After all, I feel like they only be a 'disappointment' if they fell short of expectations.

The reality is that they were a fringe playoff team to begin with AND had many injuries. If we take our 'homer hats' off for a second and think about it, the Bruins really had no business winning this series. What gave them some false hope of being a better team than they were was that a 7th seeded team usually has to play a 2nd seeded juggernaut. The Bruins got to play the Senators, who actually only had the 6th best record in the conference.

It would be disappointing if the Bruins looked like the better team but couldn't get the goal when they needed it most. The reality is they generated very few chances and it was the Senators who had the much better run of play.

I'm not sure how to describe the end of the Bruins season. I want to say 'disappointment' because they had a chance to win but even that doesn't feel right.

After all, I feel like they only be a 'disappointment' if they fell short of expectations.

The reality is that they were a fringe playoff team to begin with AND had many injuries. If we take our 'homer hats' off for a second and think about it, the Bruins really had no business winning this series. What gave them some false hope of being a better team than they were was that a 7th seeded team usually has to play a 2nd seeded juggernaut. The Bruins got to play the Senators, who actually only had the 6th best record in the conference.

It would be disappointing if the Bruins looked like the better team but couldn't get the goal when they needed it most. The reality is they generated very few chances and it was the Senators who had the much better run of play.
I disagree. I saw most of this series. And regardless of injuries, the Bruins were at the top of the league records since the coaching change.

98.5 The Troll Hub wants to blather on about how poorly the Bruins played and about some of the penalties they actually committed.

The contention from several posters on this thread of a conspiracy is simply not farfetched.

The single reason Boston is not facing the New York Rangers in the next round now is the totally one-sided egregiously poor officiating against them. Specifically, multiple glaringly obvious non-calls for the Senators and incorrect calls against the Bruins, in all of the six games. Hearing and reading all the countless media descriptions of the Senators being so good and better and giving no mention or consequence to the referee's behavior reminds me of the Russian News Agency TASS right after the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant disaster: "Nothing to see here!"

Chara, Krug, McAvoy, Carlo, and Chiller are five good defensemen, and McQuaid and Killer are fine rotational 6/7s. Ideally, you'd like to cut Chara's minutes moving forward. Shattenkirk is the guy I'd like to see them grab this offseason, because there's no one else in the organization who can be that #1/2 guy. Someone like Thomas Vanek or even Jagr could be an option on the second-line wing, while Vatrano will hopefully be ready for a top-6 deployment next year as well.

Just my $.02:

Shattenkirk's going to be too much money, and the team has more defensemen in the pipeline.

Chara/McAvoy
Krug/Carlo
Miller/Miller

If they can go into camp with that group (it might take a deal with the Vegas team), and the competition from below, I'm content with that. Moving forward, I think, oddly enough, given how things looked on opening day 2016-2017, this team's defense is in pretty good shape, and the offense is a huge problem.

So we need, two or three guys?

Not bad, if the rest of the team is okay. We should get Zdeno to adopt Tom Brady's diet.

Right now, offensively, the team basically has a 1st line and a 4th line, and almost nothing in the middle.

Bergeron/Marchand - First line players
Pastrnak - Second line player, first line scoring capability
Krejci - Second line center, when healthy (which at least seems less often every year)

After that, it's a bunch of 4s, and that's being kind with some of them. Or, to put it another way,

who among this group:

Tim Schaller-Sean Kuraly-David Backes

Frank Vatrano-Noel Acciari-Drew Stafford

Matt Beleskey-Dominic Moore-Riley Nash

Jimmy Hayes/Ryan Spooner

-is definitely better than a 4th line level player (and under contract for 2017-2018) at this stage of their career?

Just my $.02:

Shattenkirk's going to be too much money, and the team has more defensemen in the pipeline.

Chara/McAvoy
Krug/Carlo
Miller/Miller

If they can go into camp with that group (it might take a deal with the Vegas team), and the competition from below, I'm content with that. Moving forward, I think, oddly enough, given how things looked on opening day 2016-2017, this team's defense is in pretty good shape, and the offense is a huge problem.

Agreed on Shattenkirk. He's good but not worth upsetting the apple cart on D with what they have going. Without the lopsided officiating I think the Bs would have won this series even with the players down they had. Beating the Sens trap (which should be illegal), plus their non called constant holding/interference that they run on both ends, is a whole lot easier if you have multiple tape to tape puck movers a la Krug and McAvoy.

Come to think of it, the only way they get away with their trap IS because they hold and run interference on every entry pass.

The offense will be ok with some shrewd additions and growth from certain guys, plus possibly some of the young guys from 2 seasons ago are ready plus Trent Frederick whom I believe is the heir to Bergeron as the two way forward.

Right now, offensively, the team basically has a 1st line and a 4th line, and almost nothing in the middle.

who among this group:

Jimmy Hayes/Ryan Spooner

-is definitely better than a 4th line level player (and under contract for 2017-2018) at this stage of their career?

I mean I suppose Backes has to be the pick, right? But I definitely get what you are saying and that's why I wouldn't call the team a disappointment. I'm far from a hockey expert but all those names you list all just seem very average at best to me.

Add in the injuries at defense and it would have been amazing (not expected) for them to win a series.

The single reason Boston is not facing the New York Rangers in the next round now is the totally one-sided egregiously poor officiating against them. Specifically, multiple glaringly obvious non-calls for the Senators and incorrect calls against the Bruins, in all of the six games. Hearing and reading all the countless media descriptions of the Senators being so good and better and giving no mention or consequence to the referee's behavior reminds me of the Russian News Agency TASS right after the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant disaster: "Nothing to see here!"

I think it can be both.........there was bad officiating AND the Senators were better.

Using the 'eye test' I saw the Bruins put in a scrappy effort given what they had, but I also saw Ottawa generate more chances.

I mean I suppose Backes has to be the pick, right? But I definitely get what you are saying and that's why I wouldn't call the team a disappointment. I'm far from a hockey expert but all those names you list all just seem very average at best to me.

Add in the injuries at defense and it would have been amazing (not expected) for them to win a series.

I think the team is probably surprised by how slow Backes was this year. He's like McQuaid, in that they are both toughs who just don't seem to be able to keep up with the pace of play anymore.

Bergeron/Marchand - First line players
Pastrnak - Second line player, first line scoring capability
Krejci - Second line center, when healthy (which at least seems less often every year)

After that, it's a bunch of 4s, and that's being kind with some of them. Or, to put it another way,

who among this group:

Jimmy Hayes/Ryan Spooner

Out of that group I would keep Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak Kuraly, Acciari, Backes, and Schaller (only as a 4th liner doesn't belong in top 9)

Would look to trade Krecji, K. Miller and Chara.

Hopefully the expansion Las Vegas Golden Knights will take Beleskey and Hayes but I doubt it.

The projected Bruins cap space for 17/18 is just under 10m and Pastrnak is a RFA who could take a chunk out of that. Will have to rely on the kids unless they are able to send out some salary or get bailed out by the expansion draft.

Out of that group I would keep Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak Kuraly, Acciari, Backes, and Schaller (only as a 4th liner doesn't belong in top 9)

Would look to trade Krecji, K. Miller and Chara.

Hopefully the expansion Las Vegas Golden Knights will take Beleskey and Hayes but I doubt it.

The projected Bruins cap space for 17/18 is just under 10m and Pastrnak is a RFA who could take a chunk out of that. Will have to rely on the kids unless they are able to send out some salary or get bailed out by the expansion draft.

Kevin Miller was their 2nd best defenseman in this series behind Charlie, or maybe even tied. He played really well and it's possible Cassidy had a a good influence on his game because he was really good. Chara isn't going anywhere, unless you get an offer you can't refuse. He's a great mentor to Carlo and Charlie and will accelerate their growth exponentially.

Chara/Carlo
Krug/McAvoy
Miller/Miller

Good balance of puck moving plus shutdown type D across all pairings.

Kevin Miller was their 2nd best defenseman in this series behind Charlie, or maybe even tied. He played really well and it's possible Cassidy had a a good influence on his game because he was really good. Chara isn't going anywhere, unless you get an offer you can't refuse. He's a great mentor to Carlo and Charlie and will accelerate their growth exponentially.

Chara/Carlo
Krug/McAvoy
Miller/Miller

Kevin Miller was much better this year, IMO, particularly after Julien left and Cassidy gave him more leeway to press the offensive zone. I've gone from wanting him shipped out yesterday to hoping the Bruins can find a way to make sure LV doesn't take either Miller off the defense.

With regards to your pairings, I wouldn't say that either Chara or Carlo is a puck moving D at this point. Just my take, though.

Kevin Miller was much better this year, IMO, particularly after Julien left and Cassidy gave him more leeway to press the offensive zone. I've gone from wanting him shipped out yesterday to hoping the Bruins can find a way to make sure LV doesn't take either Miller off the defense.

With regards to your pairings, I wouldn't say that either Chara or Carlo is a puck moving D at this point. Just my take, though.

Chara certainly isn't I agree. Carlo has some puck moving to him and with some more development he should get better.

Chara/Carlo
Krug/McAvoy
Miller/Miller

Krug and McAvoy could probably be split as you would want their mobility spread out probably (at least most of the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes