PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: A “journalist” is highly critical of Tom Brady’s son being ball boy

I’m sure Slater was never on the free lunch program as a kid. Mahomes’ father made millions. Imagine the inheritance waitin* for Jordans kids?

You work hard to give your kids a better life, if you can give them a start in your business you do it.

Jack’s mother is an actress, Hollywood is famous for nepotism (and a casting couch). So he has an advantage there too if he wants to go into acting.

I wonder if Parker complained when Mayo’s daughter (who was so cute in them) was doing those videos for Pats productions?

Kids are saddled or enjoy some spoils depending on who their parents are. That is just a fact of life, and not racist.

The point is that people, regardless of race, often like having their kids nearby. The point is that people, regardless of race, often help those they know get entry level jobs. The point is that you agreed with that idiot about a complete non-issue, and foolishly agreed with the false idea that it's a problem.

It is not a false idea that nepotism is/can be a problem. It is not a RACE issue, that, I agree. I mean, of course, the more contacts you have, the better chance of getting a good job you have. Like I got most of my summer jobs because my parents worked there or knew people. Same for many of us. It becomes a problem when you can a job over a way more qualified person because of who you are related to. That happens and it CAN be a problem. It is a "natural" thing, but it can be problematic... which is why many companies have policies against it. Does the NFL need one? Now, that's another question and I honestly do not have an answer for it.

Now, the issue of representation in management position in the NFL is ANOTHER issue completely. It is a fact that a league in which player are majorly Black do not have a lot of Black head coaches and Black GMs. Is it, in 2021, a huge problem? Will it slowly change with more qualified people getting chances? Did it get better in the last 20 years? All good questions worthy of discussion. Is it active racism? I honestly do not believe so. Is there still some systemic racism in the NFL? Sure.

I was not agreeing with Parker at all, I was just saying that he denatured real issues with a very stupid analogy and that he bundled everything together in a weird way.

Rob Parker is a racist.

Maybe a pedophile, too.
Technically, yes, but more specifically: he's anti-White. Given how socially acceptable and encouraged that particular kind of hatred is, using an ambiguous and frivolously-used word like "racist" to call it out is pointless. You also don't open yourself up to the dumb yet common rebuttal (deflection) of: "it's impossible to be racist towards White people".

Technically, yes, but more specifically: he's anti-White. Given how socially acceptable and encouraged that particular kind of hatred is, using an ambiguous and frivolously-used word like "racist" to call it out is pointless. You also don't open yourself up to the dumb yet common rebuttal (deflection) of: "it's impossible to be racist towards White people".
The word honestly has no meaning anymore. It has its dictionary definition, but it ceased having any actual meaning or sting. It’s been so overused and watered-down that I highly doubt any normal Joe or Jane is offended if they’re accused as being one anymore. Now, if someone gets doxxed and has to apologize or lose their jobs, that’s another story.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Wasn't Larry Fitzgerald a ball boy? Same with Deshaun Watson? I remember seeing a video of a teenage Desean Jackson running around at some NFL team's training camp as well.

It is not a false idea that nepotism is/can be a problem. It is not a RACE issue, that, I agree. I mean, of course, the more contacts you have, the better chance of getting a good job you have. Like I got most of my summer jobs because my parents worked there or knew people. Same for many of us. It becomes a problem when you can a job over a way more qualified person because of who you are related to. That happens and it CAN be a problem. It is a "natural" thing, but it can be problematic... which is why many companies have policies against it. Does the NFL need one? Now, that's another question and I honestly do not have an answer for it.

Now, the issue of representation in management position in the NFL is ANOTHER issue completely. It is a fact that a league in which player are majorly Black do not have a lot of Black head coaches and Black GMs. Is it, in 2021, a huge problem? Will it slowly change with more qualified people getting chances? Did it get better in the last 20 years? All good questions worthy of discussion. Is it active racism? I honestly do not believe so. Is there still some systemic racism in the NFL? Sure.

I was not agreeing with Parker at all, I was just saying that he denatured real issues with a very stupid analogy and that he bundled everything together in a weird way.

There is very active racism at the ownership level. Only one owner is a minority, Shahid Khan, who owns the Jaguars.

I don't count Kim Pegula because her husband made the purchase.

Cronyism is always a form of corruption; when it happens incidentally, for a kid, nobody really cares. And when "hey I'll work for you, but I want my family around" is part of a job negotiation, then nobody cares (as long as it is transparent).

What that happens in the context of one race hoarding the access to employment for a few hundred years, then is becomes an example of systemic racism.

This is how innocent individual acts are essentially meaningless at the individual level, and symoblic and significant at the systemic level. Both are true at the same time. People enter the conversation with an opinion already formed and use one side or the other to bolster it.

I don't agree with Parker that this incident is the right one to use when making a case. It is a terrible example. And I think he knows that, but is trying to make a living in a click-based entertainment market. Its working for him; look at the length of this thread.

Suggest we hate the game, not the player, and move on.

There’s now a sub-group of forum members who spend 99% of their time whining that Tom Brady is discussed on the forum. They talk less about the Patriots than the people they complain about.

There’s now a sub-group of forum members who spend 99% of their time whining that Tom Brady is discussed on the forum. They talk less about the Patriots than the people they complain about.

Does that matter? Is your point if they don't post, they can't have an opinion or share it? Shame on you.

The point is that people, regardless of race, often like having their kids nearby. The point is that people, regardless of race, often help those they know get entry level jobs. The point is that you agreed with that idiot about a complete non-issue, and foolishly agreed with the false idea that it's a problem.

Agree with this completely.

Rob Parker is not worth your time. Sadly, a lot of sports talk nowadays consists of the he/said she/said rhetoric accept in most cases its two men where each take the opposite chair in debate with a contrarian approach. Society loves it though. Sadly there are a lot of sheep out there that eat it up.

Parker has been using Brady to sell himself for years. This is just more of the same.

Last edited:
I'm actually regularly at odds with posts I see here, where folks do tend to think "racism" means "when people call out racism." But I have my limits.

One of them is to just calmly accept that the NFL is 70% black as the opening predicate of "In a league that's 70% black, how can only 35% of coaches and 9% of head coaches be Black?"

So I get that it is a sport played at the highest level by predominantly Black players. If we think the team's coaches should look like the team's players, they should be 70% Black at every level. If we think the team's coaches and players should look like the fans, rut-roh, there's your "kneeling for the anthem" problem in a nutshell. (I'm actually fine with the kneeling for the anthem thing, ironically.)

So suffice it to say I am nobody's capitol-storming white nationalist, but the basics of this opinion are just beyond me in so many ways. I understand the argument that the teams should generally not UNDERREPRESENT African Americans at head coach, so instead of 3 Black head coaches, 5 would represent the whole population better. I understand where it might be more satisfying if Head Coaches were at a higher representation level, reflecting more closely the huge representation difference among players. But demanding a full 70% is to lock in the preexistent disparity. That seems weird.

To me, it undercuts the whole argument when you open with "In a 70% Black league..." unless I understand why it's a 70% Black league. And also let me know what percentage of Black head coaches you're shooting for, because geez, I agree more than 9% is a given.... but should it be 70%? Is that the implication? Because I am on your side... mainly... at heart... but help me understand the end game here. HC number 4, no problem, number 5, no problem... hell, number 10, no problem. But after a while I really need to know where this 70% players number we're bootstrapping from came from.

So I am with you with "70% shouldn't yield 9%" but somehow, somebody get me to how 70% Black players happened. Are they going with the Jimmy-the-Greek explanation? Or maybe desire is greater when it's the only way out? Is this supposed to be nature or nurture?

As for the nepotism thing, I blame Archie Manning. Somebody just gave that no-talent Peyton his first job and it's been downhill for the league ever since :D

Does that matter? Is your point if they don't post, they can't have an opinion or share it? Shame on you.

You sound like a freshman idiot in college. Derp…I can’t have an opinion though!!

I'm actually regularly at odds with posts I see here, where folks do tend to think "racism" means "when people call out racism." But I have my limits.

One of them is to just calmly accept that the NFL is 70% black as the opening predicate of "In a league that's 70% black, how can only 35% of coaches and 9% of head coaches be Black?"

So I get that it is a sport played at the highest level by predominantly Black players. If we think the team's coaches should look like the team's players, they should be 70% Black at every level. If we think the team's coaches and players should look like the fans, rut-roh, there's your "kneeling for the anthem" problem in a nutshell. (I'm actually fine with the kneeling for the anthem thing, ironically.)

So suffice it to say I am nobody's capitol-storming white nationalist, but the basics of this opinion are just beyond me in so many ways. I understand the argument that the teams should generally not UNDERREPRESENT African Americans at head coach, so instead of 3 Black head coaches, 5 would represent the whole population better. I understand where it might be more satisfying if Head Coaches were at a higher representation level, reflecting more closely the huge representation difference among players. But demanding a full 70% is to lock in the preexistent disparity. That seems weird.

To me, it undercuts the whole argument when you open with "In a 70% Black league..." unless I understand why it's a 70% Black league. And also let me know what percentage of Black head coaches you're shooting for, because geez, I agree more than 9% is a given.... but should it be 70%? Is that the implication? Because I am on your side... mainly... at heart... but help me understand the end game here. HC number 4, no problem, number 5, no problem... hell, number 10, no problem. But after a while I really need to know where this 70% players number we're bootstrapping from came from.

So I am with you with "70% shouldn't yield 9%" but somehow, somebody get me to how 70% Black players happened. Are they going with the Jimmy-the-Greek explanation? Or maybe desire is greater when it's the only way out? Is this supposed to be nature or nurture?

As for the nepotism thing, I blame Archie Manning. Somebody just gave that no-talent Peyton his first job and it's been downhill for the league ever since :D

Why should the team's coaches look like the team's players?

At least there's some thought process to why the players are black. Same reason top sprinters are black, basketball players are black, etc. Genetic gifts.

Coaches require cerebral prowess, and leadership, and insight into the game. Why would black coaches have that more? I would think if there are black coaches in proportion to the population % (same as congressman and senators and CEOs and etc) then it's plenty fair and we're on our way.

To borrow the phrase from @captain stone ”thanks Dad” happens in all industries.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back