PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 49ers Fire Wilks

What about special teams? That is what lost the game
f6ac40a3a78fb654dddafcb300d018dd.jpg

LOL ... sort of felt like that was coming.

Someone had to take the fall there - and I didn't feel like it was going to be Kyle Shanahan. :rolleyes:

Thank you Ian. The 9ners D was good all year and one of the main reasons they were in the superbowl. I'll say though.. if they make it deep into the post season next year, and falter Shanahan could possibly be out! He's a great regular season coach!

Reactions: Ian
Unfair firing IMHO. They held the Chiefs to 19 regulation points, 7 of which came off that gift of a muffed punt. You can't blame Wilks for Greenlaw pulling his hamstring running onto the field.
I would use other words than unfair.

Wilks did a fine job. I guess not stopping Mahomes is a fireable offense. Firing all the coaches. Of course, that includes the ST coaches.

SF basically conceded 2024 to KC

Shanahan should’ve fired himself..

Shanacant isn’t going to take the blame. He thinks he did everything right, hopefully SF doesn’t get back next year. Easy 3 peat for the Chiefs.

Horrible firing. All phases of the game failed against the chiefs.

Wouldn't be shocked if the two had an exchange, and that's why he's out. It's entirely possible he stuck up for his guys and potentially said something Shanahan didn't like ("if you had just ... ") and it escalated. Or that's my two cents...otherwise, I can't understand the reasoning. Good DCs are hard to find, and they honestly played a great game.
I would not at all be surprised. Shanahan very much looks the part of an egomaniac.

Whoever’s decision to switch to off coverage zone for KCs last 2 possessions should be fired. They gave Mahomes easy 10 yd completions until he got close to the red zone.

How does this address their glaring issue at QB?

LOL ... sort of felt like that was coming.

Someone had to take the fall there - and I didn't feel like it was going to be Kyle Shanahan. :rolleyes:

Yep. Can't fire the HC who didn't know the overtime rule change.

Defense played great - but the offense left them out on the field for nearly 9-minutes in the third quarter. So by the end, they were gassed. Agree with you 100%, he's absolutely being made the scapegoat.

This is pretty outrageous. They held the alleged GOAT-in-progress to 19 points in regulation. It could've been less (and a victory) without KC's short-field score after the muffed punt. I know Shanahan's forte is offense, but you would think he signed off on the defensive game pIan. So unless Wilks did something he shouldn't have, the scapegoating is obvious. I feel bad for the guy.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
So when are they firing the OC who only managed 19 points in regulation and especially the ST coach who basically cost them 7 points with a muffed point as well as the missed XP?

Sounds like Kyle wants someone from the Quinn tree. Wilks was up and down all year, but does he get fired had the 49ers not muffed the punt and Moody hits the extra point?

Interesting. I definitely was not a fan of the all-out blitzes (there were two late game that they just needed to play clean on). Twice it converted on 3rd.

That offensive play calling was atrocious. The offensive gameplay forced the hand of the defense to call a perfect game. So many opportunities for them to cement a lead and they never could. The offense did not hold up its half enough (at least that's my take). Yeah, Purdy would walk off the field with a lead. But it was their job to build that lead and they never could. It was always vulnerable.
SF had multiple opportunities to widen the lead, and apparently felt no urgency to do so

Sounds like Kyle wants someone from the Quinn tree. Wilks was up and down all year, but does he get fired had the 49ers not muffed the punt and Moody hits the extra point?
Moody hits the XP, Chiefs win in regulation with a late TD

Moody hits the XP, Chiefs win in regulation with a late TD
Chefs got 7 off a muffed punt. That's 8 points right there including the missed XP.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back