PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 49ers Fire Wilks

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
LOL ... sort of felt like that was coming.

Someone had to take the fall there - and I didn't feel like it was going to be Kyle Shanahan. :rolleyes:

I thought the defense was mostly fine.... Could have been better but was fine. The offensive play-calling in the second half was a much bigger issue, you know, just like every other Kyle Shanahan Super Bowl. Feels like a big scapegoat here and I am sure defensive players don't appreciate it because it is basically blaming the loss on them.

I thought the defense was mostly fine.... Could have been better but was fine. The offensive play-calling in the second half was a much bigger issue. Feels like a big scapegoat here and I am sure defensive players don't appreciate it because it is basically blaming the loss on them.
Defense played great - but the offense left them out on the field for nearly 9-minutes in the third quarter. So by the end, they were gassed. Agree with you 100%, he's absolutely being made the scapegoat.

I thought the defense was mostly fine.... Could have been better but was fine. The offensive play-calling in the second half was a much bigger issue, you know, just like every other Kyle Shanahan Super Bowl. Feels like a big scapegoat here and I am sure defensive players don't appreciate it because it is basically blaming the loss on them.

They held the Chiefs and Mahomes to 19 points in regulation, with 7 of those coming in one play after an idiotic punt muff. By the time Mahomes was having his way with them in OT, that defense was gassed, and had lost one of it's best linebackers to a major fluke injury. Firing Wilks is Shanahan passing the buck for yet another offensive implosion when they had multiple chances to PUT. MAHOMES. AWAY. Once you fail at those, there aren't many defenses in the world that are going to hold up.

wOU9JM.gif

Wouldn't be shocked if the two had an exchange, and that's why he's out. It's entirely possible he stuck up for his guys and potentially said something Shanahan didn't like ("if you had just ... ") and it escalated. Or that's my two cents...otherwise, I can't understand the reasoning. Good DCs are hard to find, and they honestly played a great game.

Don’t see an issue with this. Their defense took a step back since Ryans left.

Wouldn't be shocked if the two had an exchange, and that's why he's out. It's entirely possible he stuck up for his guys and potentially said something Shanahan didn't like ("if you had just ... ") and it escalated. Or that's my two cents...otherwise, I can't understand the reasoning. Good DCs are hard to find, and they honestly played a great game.
Wilks: What did you think would happen if you gave Mahomes the ball last?

1707942695350.gif
Well, we were told that a certain someone was going to be pursuing other opportunities. Those Ticonderogas are not environmentally-friendly, though, so he may have to go with a different pencil if he moves to California.

I don't think anyone deserved to be fired. Yet, everytime Purdy stepped off the field they had the lead. There's one play, the naked boot on 4th and 1, where if Bosa doesn't shoot straight for the RB, but holds the edge, it's game over.

Was Wilks the one who called the all-out blitz on Mahomes? If so, I can see an argument for firing him.
That's actually a valid point. I also forgot about the timeout they called in overtime because Shanahan didn't like the defense they were in.

LOL ... sort of felt like that was coming.

Someone had to take the fall there - and I didn't feel like it was going to be Kyle Shanahan. :rolleyes:

That's a ****ing tragedy because the defense is the ONLY thing that kept them in that game. Wild that they thought this was a good decision.

Uhhh... Could we snag him? Demarcus and Wilks? Combo DC's?

I'd imagine if teams hadn't filled their DC role yet, people would take him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Ian
I don't think anyone deserved to be fired. Yet, everytime Purdy stepped off the field they had the lead. There's one play, the naked boot on 4th and 1, where if Bosa doesn't shoot straight for the RB, but holds the edge, it's game over.

Interesting. I definitely was not a fan of the all-out blitzes (there were two late game that they just needed to play clean on). Twice it converted on 3rd.

That offensive play calling was atrocious. The offensive gameplay forced the hand of the defense to call a perfect game. So many opportunities for them to cement a lead and they never could. The offense did not hold up its half enough (at least that's my take). Yeah, Purdy would walk off the field with a lead. But it was their job to build that lead and they never could. It was always vulnerable.

I think the guy is wrong on it. I think it was an RPO. Leave Bosa unblocked, if he crashes, keep. If he sets the edge, give to RB. If Bosa attacks to QB or mesh point, dump to Kelse. Kelse looks back at Mahomes to check, but he knew Bosa crashed, so he followed he rules for the play and blocked #33. Either way, one of your two best players are touching the ball with the SB on the line. Maybe Wilks called a stunt where Bosa crashes? Doubtful in that instance he's freelancing, but no one else has contain on that play. Someone eff'd up.

Good pick up on the post tho.

Last edited:
Unfair firing IMHO. They held the Chiefs to 19 regulation points, 7 of which came off that gift of a muffed punt. You can't blame Wilks for Greenlaw pulling his hamstring running onto the field.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back