PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 10 Worst Fan Bases Across Sports

Playing the "Boston is racist" card for cheap laughs again I see. Weren't the Celtics the first NBA team to integrate?

I'm in no position of knowledge or experience to rank worst fanbases across the country. I can give Patriots fans credit for a few things...We actually show up to to the games. There isn't a magistrate residing in the stadium. We don't throw batteries or octopi or marital aides onto the field of play. We don't intentionally injure ourselves by diving through tables. We did not make a conscious choice to be Jets fans.

That said, Patriots fans probably belong on this list. It's the only stadium where fans are threatened by other fans for standing during a game.
Boston is most definitely racist in the blue collar section especially. No real question about that. But…so are lots of other places.

First of all, the Pats aren't the most successful franchise of my lifetime, but if they were it wouldn't be because of the coaching. It's about the players, just like Bill has told us repeatedly.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of our HC. The real problem is the very defensive Bill supporters who take every thread down the Brady road and then complain about the responses they receive. It's the Patsfans version of peeing down our backs and telling us it's raining.
Thank you for proving my point.

What a stupid article that doesn't even equate with the title, which more aptly should be, "Fan bases other fan bases love to hate." To me, a "worst fan base" should be one that doesn't support the local team, doesn't go to games, doesn't fill the stadium, doesn't get fired up on sports media about their team. I don't think anyone on the list fits the bill, certainly not any of the Boston sports teams. Even when our teams are lousy we support them. If this qualifies us as "the worst," then bring it.
Stupidest Fan Base=Raiders

Stupidest Fan Base=Raiders
Gerry Callahan's article just before the Snow Bowl on Raider fans was gold.
Pity the fools: Raiders fans a pathetic lot
by Gerry Callahan

Tuesday, January 15, 2002

Like any other cult, it preys on the young, the confused, the simple-minded. The most likely victim is a boy in those awkward teen years, with no friends to speak of, no date to the prom, no hope that his acne problem will clear up before his 30th birthday.

He would like to buy a Harley and get a tattoo and dangle a thick, manly chain from his wallet, but he knows that's just not possible. His mother would kill him. So he does the next best thing. He roots for the Oakland Raiders.

Suddenly, he is no longer alone. He is somebody. Even better, he is a bad ass. A hard guy. Someone you don't want to mess with. He looks in the mirror and sees Chuck Zito. He wears black, has a skull and crossbones on his baseball cap and occasionally goes to town, dressing on Sundays in the fall like an extra in a ``Mad Max'' movie to show his devotion to the cult. He would love to get a nose ring and a dog collar and really make people step back when he walks by, but again: Mom would freak.

So he does his best to get the message across, and the message, as always, is: Look at me. I'm bad. I root for the Raiders. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. In his heart, he believes that if he ever sees Ken Stabler in an airport, the Snake will stop and do shots with him. He would consider it an honor to change Al Davis' sheets at the rest home. He would name his son Biletnikoff, if he ever had a son and could spell Biletnikoff.

Raiders games are the Star Trek conventions of sports: a sorry assembly of lost souls who dress like the last cut at the Village People tryouts and find camaraderie in the company of like-minded losers. They don't really care about their team the way, say, Patriots fans or Packers fans or Bears fans do. No, they're just trying to carve out an image, baby.

Unfortunately, Raider games, unlike Star Trek conventions, are on TV, which makes it easier for the cult to find new recruits. That's the bad news. The good news is that you will rarely see a Raiders fan, in full Darth Vader regalia, accompanied by a member of the opposite sex. Some of them have children, and hopefully the local DYS will succeed in taking most of them away.

Let's be honest: Could anything cause more lasting damage to a child than waiting in the car while Dad looks for his ``Gladiator'' mask and his sword? Then when they get to the stadium, father and son cheer for the likes of Sebastian Janikowski, a loathsome slug who once was arrested for possession of the date-rape drug GHB. Apparently, Janikowski wants to carry on the fine Raider tradition but doesn't want to work as hard as John Matuszak, who once dangled a woman by her ankles from a balcony.

One of the great myths in sports is that Raider fans are genuinely tough and intimidating. That's like saying guys who drive Corvettes are cool, or that fat, balding, middle-aged men with hairy chests look sexier with gold chains around their necks. Talk to any psychiatrist and he'll give you the medical data: Wearing spiked shoulder pads and painting your head silver is a telltale sign that you are woefully insecure in your own manhood.

Of course, rooting for the Raiders while growing up in the Oakland area is one thing. Veal is treated better by its owner than those people, but at least they have a tenuous, on-again, off-again hometown connection. You really can't blame them for siding with Davis' drifters. The Raider fans who are truly beneath contempt are the ones in the neutral cities, the ones who are so obnoxious that they root for a team that produced the lowest form of NFL life, Jack Tatum. Those are the fans who should be sent to Guantanamo Bay to clean cages. We'll start with the ones from New England.

This Saturday the Patriots will host Oakland in a playoff game at Foxboro Stadium, which means all the local Raider fans will crawl out of their mothers' basements and pound their chests and say the silver and black is back. And why not? Didn't you hear? Their team won a game last Saturday night! That may not sound like much, but it was their first win since Dec. 15. It was their first win against a team that finished above .500 since October. The Raiders lost at home to the Jets six days earlier, but then New York flew home, flew back and came down with flu-like symptoms. The Raiders won, earning the trip to Foxboro for Saturday night's showdown.

This will be the third postseason meeting between the Patriots and Raiders. The Patriots won both previous playoff games, although the first meeting, on Dec. 18, 1976, was stolen from them by referee Ben Dreith, the biggest Raider fan in history. The Patriots got their revenge 10 years later, knocking off the Raiders in the Los Angeles Coliseum on their way to the Super Bowl.

This is the first time the teams will square off in New England in the playoffs, and it's hard to imagine a visitor stepping into a more intimidating atmosphere. It's the first Saturday night playoff game ever in Foxboro, a place not known for its orderly crowds. It could the last game ever played in the stadium. It will be cold, windy, dark, loud and genuinely crazy. There will be nothing contrived or trendy about it.

The Raiders - and all the phony Village People who root for them - won't know what hit them.

Gerry Callahan's article just before the Snow Bowl on Raider fans was gold.
Callahan hit the nail on the head w/ his description of Mac10.

Patriots fans can say whatever they want. Tom Brady fans, who used to like the Patriots, but now spend their time complaining about everything the Patriots do because they are still upset Tom Brady left, add nothing to the forum and are not welcome. Is that straight forward enough for you? If all you do is complain you aren't really a fan, except for the good Captain, he is just that way and we appreciate him for it.

Most everyone on the board can name the 4 or 5 posters I am talking about.
Also, no one ever considers the thought that it was actually Brady who wanted to leave. Especially after his power play with Arians.

Also, no one ever considers the thought that it was actually Brady who wanted to leave. Especially after his power play with Arians.
People do consider that nonsense, because, what player that actually wants to leave would insist on a multi-year contract?

Yeah but I'm sure that was black players in any city other then just Boston.
It is an illusion to believe that blacks were treated as well in Boston as anywhere else. IMO, it is very likely that they were (and are) treated better in most places, especially NY, LA, OAK/LV, DET, and MIA.

I'll put in another way. If a top black free agent with a family was choosing based on how he and his family would be treated would he chose to live in BOS or NY or LA or OAK/LV or DET or MIA?

Perhaps this is not an issue in BOS, since players would simply live in Providence and avoid BOS.

FWIW, the last Pats game I went to (last season) I took an African-American friend. He had a great time and loved the atmosphere to bits. That said, his was the only dark-brown face for quite an area around us. I'm no expert, but I think Boston and its sports fans must have been much worse in Bill Russell's day.

FWIW, the last Pats game I went to (last season) I took an African-American friend. He had a great time and loved the atmosphere to bits. That said, his was the only dark-brown face for quite an area around us. I'm no expert, but I think Boston and its sports fans must have been much worse in Bill Russell's day.
The number of teams in the NFL with a smaller percentage of black fans: ZERO. GB has an equal percentage.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back