PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opponent update : Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as Johnson and Johnson, the younger contributing to catching passes out of the backfield.

That team has plenty of weapons, plus Fitzgerald claimed that he wouldn't have missed any games if it were the regular season and that's when there was more than 3 weeks until the opener. I bet he'll be just fine.

They have this new kid Jaron Brown who is making plays for them at WR. They have weapons all over the place, that's for sure.

I think week 1 will be tough but winnable. Plenty of time to game plan the crap out of the Cardinals. I think Jimmy will be good enough and Palmer will struggle against our D. Low scoring game most likely.

On the other hand, it would be the balls if we lit them up. A real statement to "The 31" and the NFL*.

these first 4 games we're gonna see if the OL helps Brady, or Brady has always made our OL look much better than it actually is

these first 4 games we're gonna see if the OL helps Brady, or Brady has always made our OL look much better than it actually is
or let jimmy work out the kinks with OL in the first 4 games, then when brady returns, the OL will be operating like a well-oiled machine. kind of like 2014, except brady won't be the one taking the beatings.

They're not going to be helping him at all while Tom is watching the game on TV unless you know something I don't.

If we can win week 1 in Arizona I think that takes a HUGE amount of the pressure off both Jimmy and the team as a whole. It basically guarantees a good month.
Not only would it guarantee a "good month," it would make the Patriots, once again, "the story" in the League.

They go into the House of the team that hosted the NFCCG last January and come out on top with a backup QB who never started a game in the NFL, while still having the GOAT seething on the sidelines.

I just can't wait to see how BB gets into the heads of Palmer & Co. in the week leading up to the game...he'll know how to bring just the right touch, hitting on the themes of the blowout by the Panthers in their last game and suggesting that all the pressure is on the Cardinals against a team without its best player.

Something like, "Well, it's a big test for us right out of the gate. The Cardinals went all the way to their Conference Championship game last year and they have a veteran Quarterback for whom we have nothing but the highest respect. They have a great Coaching Staff and a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. They're opening the season at Home on Sunday Night on national TV. What else can I say? We'll have to bring our A game and hope that it's enough." (Barf!)

Edit: error corrected

Last edited:
Mike Jenkins looks like he's done for the year. Carted off after what looked like a pretty bad non-contact knee injury. That's a significant blow to the Cardinals' CB depth.

I think that Houston turf/field is cursed..either that or it's likely the only place that compares to the crap at the old Veteran's stadium in Philly.....

They go into the House of the team that hosted the NFCCG last January and come out on top with a backup QB who never started a game in the NFL, while still having the GOAT seething on the sidelines...

...Something like, "Well, it's a big test for us right out of the gate. The Cardinals earned the right to host their Conference Championship game last year and they have a veteran Quarterback for whom we have nothing but the highest respect. They have a great Coaching Staff and a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. They're opening the season at Home on Sunday Night on national TV. What else can I say? We'll have to bring our A game and hope that it's enough." (Barf!)

Uh, that never happened...;)

Beware him on special teams

Jamie Collins is the only one to have successfully made this play without drawing a penalty. Despite Chancellor pioneering it(I assume?) and others after Collins trying to replicate it and failing.

Thats good news for us but I think Fitzgerald is their #3 WR now behind Floyd and Brown
he had the most receptions, yards, and TDs last year for the cardinals (109 rec, 1215 yd, 9 td). he's also the only one of the three to start all 16 games.

Arizona should NOT be taking lightly at all. Like us they have serious talent, depth and good coaching.

They are beatable though. It all starts with Palmer. The guy has never been a big game QB. For all the pressure talk surrounding Jimmy and rightfully so. Palmer can and has looked like a bottom 5 guy at times. He looks bad so far and has looked bad going back to the last few games in 15. A lot of people are expecting Fitzpatrick to revert back to his old form. The same can be said for Palmer. Last year was far and away his best season. By miles. Can he replicate that play again?

They have a great secondary but most likely banged up for sure week one. You can and we will attack whoever their #2 is (Williams or Johnson), they only carry 3 because of the versatility of their S's. Like every team we'll play they'll have to make a decision about our TE's. Last year they were middle of the pack covering tight ends. Giving up 807 yards, 5 TDS, 79 recs and 10.22 ypc. So between Gronk, Bennett, Hogan, Edelman and Amendola/Mitchell/Martin we will have a big match up advantage with 2 of these guys. As good as they are they are in trouble in that respect.

This will be an excellent test for our line and Grapo. Arizona will absolutely send extra guys and give Jimmy everything he can handle. It's no secret what he struggles with. And while Arizona didn't collect a lot of sacks we know they'll send the house. This is where his scrambling ability becomes crucial. Keep the chains moving, slide/out of bounds and keep it moving.

he had the most receptions, yards, and TDs last year for the cardinals (109 rec, 1215 yd, 9 td). he's also the only one of the three to start all 16 games.

The guy is a true HOF'r imo. Can do it from the slot and outside. Much like Moss, Fitz would have smashed more records if he played with an above-average QB his career.

Man they would have been the perfect complement for each other.

Anyway our DB's better be ready. They run more 4-5 sets than anyone and have a nice rbbc going for them. I thought David Johnson would have been perfect here.

The Amazon.com docu series was very good, arguably better than what "Hard Knocks" is putting out there lately. It's definitely worth checking out. It shows that the Cards have a lot of heart, talent, and a decent HFA.

The Amazon.com docu series was very good, arguably better than what "Hard Knocks" is putting out there lately. It's definitely worth checking out. It shows that the Cards have a lot of heart, talent, and a decent HFA.

Agreed. It was quite enjoyable, and I'm rooting for Arizona other than the first game. One thing I noticed, however, is that their coaching style is more "rah rah, don't give up, fight hard," etc, etc. It's not as detailed and meticulous as the Patriots' approach. Think that gives us the edge.

nice article about larry fitzgerald in the arizona republic today. he's always been very complimentary of the patriots, and he's no different here:

The Arizona Republic: Larry Fitzgerald ready for a date with the Patriots
In the regular season, Fitzgerald watches video of other players and teams to try to pick up tips on route running and passing game concepts. In addition to the 10 or so players he regularly follows, he’s consistently watched and learned from the Patriots’ passing game.

He could talk about the Patriots system and its history all afternoon.

“They’re so innovative in what they do,” he said. “You can tell they have a lot of trust amongst the receiver corps, with (Danny) Amendola, (Julian) Edelman and obviously Rob Gronkowski. You even go back into the day when Troy Brown and guys like that were doing it really well for them.

“They do a really good job of scheming people. What they do really, really well is they get the ball out of their hands quick, the quarterback, and into the receivers’ hands so they can break tackles and make plays after the catch. You can’t get a lot of pressure and they do a great job with running and the screen game. They keep you off-balance.”

Sunday will be the fourth time the Cardinals have played the Patriots in Fitzgerald’s 13-year career.

They lost two of three, and Fitzgerald has never had a big game against them. His only touchdown was a 78-yarder in a 47-7 loss in 2008.
hopefully that pattern continues on sunday.

I just haven't seen a 17m QB yet.

You realize that isn't much right?

17m in today's league gets you a pretty mediocre starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore