PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Onwenu at Right Tackle

If I had to grade our OL by position this year prior to yesterday's game, on a scale 1-10:
LT: 8
LG: 4
C: 7
RG: 7
RT: 5

Yesterday it was:
LT: 8
LG: 8
C: 8
RG: 6
RT: 7

Onwenu stabilizes RT, and Sow is starting to look pretty solid in his place at RG. Onwenu may be better as a G, but overall the Sow-Onwenu combo is better than any other combo we have there.

LG has been our biggest problem, with nobody capable behind Strange. Strange's health is the key to our OL's performance. He's a very good player at a position where we have no depth, and more than anything we need the interior to be solid.

Let him be a full time rt and sign him long term would really help fixing the crucial OT position where free agents are rare and very expensive
I'm good with this ... but I'd like to see aggressive weight incentives in that new contract. Onwenu is at risk of eating himself out of a job without them. He'd be a lot better if he was lighter on his feet.

This is a man deserving of an extension.

I love Owenu, but it's just as much about getting rid of Vederian Lowe at RT, as it is having Owenu take over. Vederian Lowe has been the worst RT in the NFL this year. He's simply not fast enough to keep up with DEs when they try to turn the corner. It has been pathetic to watch. His poor play was the most consistent negative on OL week by week.

I'm good with this ... but I'd like to see aggressive weight incentives in that new contract. Onwenu is at risk of eating himself out of a job without them. He'd be a lot better if he was lighter on his feet.
FWIW, I suspect they would've put weight incentives in his rookie contract, but they're not allowed. That said, I don't think he needs aggressive clauses; he seems to understand that his weight matters.

Assuming that he's in their long-term plans, I would honestly consider giving Onwenu the franchise tag, as any contract they'd be likely to sign him to would have even more guaranteed money.

Onwenu definitely benefitting by this switch to RT as a FA. Some team will offer him stupid money that Bill won't match.

FWIW, I suspect they would've put weight incentives in his rookie contract, but they're not allowed. That said, I don't think he needs aggressive clauses; he seems to understand that his weight matters.

Assuming that he's in their long-term plans, I would honestly consider giving Onwenu the franchise tag, as any contract they'd be likely to sign him to would have even more guaranteed money.
The Tag would be the only way we can keep him. With him being able to play Tackle puts him in a coveted position on the FA market. Good Tackles and Guards are a Desperate Need in this league Today. Onwenu is going make a lot of $$$$$$$ if healthy.

Onwenu definitely benefitting by this switch to RT as a FA. Some team will offer him stupid money that Bill won't match.
We have the Tag.

Bill will tag him @ $23M? Doubtful
Wow Onwenu will win either way we better get all we can out of Him. A Tag and Trade might be a possibility. I am leaning towards keeping him we have to help Mac. IF Mac is your QB going forward you do all you can to surround him with necessary pieces. Onwenu is very necessary.

Wow Onwenu will win either way we better get all we can out of Him. A Tag and Trade might be a possibility. I am leaning towards keeping him we have to help Mac. IF Mac is your QB going forward you do all you can to surround him with necessary pieces. Onwenu is very necessary.
Pretty sure even without Mac having a solid OL is very important.

As we see with lowe. Bargain basement guys on the line is a disaster

I thought Mac played significantly better after the bears game. We lost due to lot of self inflicted wounds.

You mean after da Bears game last season? Did you watch the next two games? They won IN SPITE OF Corky's best efforts to lose them.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back