PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't work something out and Thuney walks after this year, we get a 3rd comp?

Or potentially, MI & a 4th.

He's rushed from almost every alignment/technique, stunts, blitzes. You can line him on the edge and he'll be a pain. Definitely still has some juice left, no doubt.

There's no one on D like him and we've lost a lost of pass rush/finish. He'd be the best pass rusher on the team by a mile & the best one we've had in a while. Defensive play is shaky from year to year but we still have enough and a guy like MI could be exactly what we (secondary) needs.

That said, as I've said for a while now. We potentially have a legit top 5-10 OL with a little luck in the health dept and RT.

Joe has been our best OL'm for a while now. There would be a drop off. You don't have to win playing OL. Just be good enough in most cases but the margins are thin at QB if I'm/we're being objective rn, no? Looks like we could use an elite year from that unit?

Man I love Joe. When people talk about Sony & the SB they really mean Joe. Tough call but that's a pretty fair deal all around.

If we don't work something out and Thuney walks after this year, we get a 3rd comp?

Or potentially, MI & a 4th.

He's rushed from almost every alignment/technique, stunts, blitzes. You can line him on the edge and he'll be a pain. Definitely still has some juice left, no doubt.

There's no one on D like him and we've lost a lost of pass rush/finish. He'd be the best pass rusher on the team by a mile & the best one we've had in a while. Defensive play is shaky from year to year but we still have enough and a guy like MI could be exactly what we (secondary) needs.

That said, as I've said for a while now. We potentially have a legit top 5-10 OL with a little luck in the health dept and RT.

Joe has been our best OL'm for a while now. There would be a drop off. You don't have to win playing OL. Just be good enough in most cases but the margins are thin at QB if I'm/we're being objective rn, no? Looks like we could use an elite year from that unit?

Man I love Joe. When people talk about Sony & the SB they really mean Joe. Tough call but that's a pretty fair deal all around.
Correct. Love Thuney, but for just about equal money...give me the pass rusher.

Correct. Love Thuney, but for just about equal money...give me the pass rusher.
Normally I would also say Yes, especially in exchange for a non-OT...but there are still too many question marks here at LT (can Wynn be counted-upon for a full season), Center (ditto), RG (will Shack ever start earning his money) and RT (is anybody here worthy of starting there)...
I'd rather just deal a pick or picks for Ingram rather than include our only consistently dependable OLman.

Normally I would also say Yes, especially in exchange for a non-OT...but there are still too many question marks here at LT (can Wynn be counted-upon for a full season), Center (ditto), RG (will Shack ever start earning his money) and RT (is anybody here worthy of starting there)...
I'd rather just deal a pick or picks for Ingram rather than include our only consistently dependable OLman.
Very plausible as well.

Given the current state of the team's TE position, I'm still trying to figure out why some of the available veterans haven't been brought in.

Given the current state of the team's TE position, I'm still trying to figure out why some of the available veterans haven't been brought in.
Given the signings of Paul Butler and Alex Ellis they seem to be in the market for blocking.

Both of Paul Quessenberry's brothers are plus athletes (O-Linemen) who play in the NFL, Paul seems to be more fullback than TE. It's another kick the tires look to find a diamond in the rough.

All the vet TE's out there may be hesitant to sign with a team who just drafted two of them, and not for nothing but all reports out of camp with the rookies seems to be positive.

I’d love to know what the plan is for the interior DL. Reports from camp have been the interior/run defense has been an issue thus far. Even with Beau they are thin and who knows if he will stick. 49ers NT just got injured. Others teams too will develop a need or perhaps have been monitoring the available FA IDLs.

I’d love to know what the plan is for the interior DL. Reports from camp have been the interior/run defense has been an issue thus far. Even with Beau they are thin and who knows if he will stick. 49ers NT just got injured. Others teams too will develop a need or perhaps have been monitoring the available FA IDLs.

If Beau is an adequate NT, we are in the same place as last year. I wanted an additional DT last year. Belichick said no and went with Cowart as the backup. the same is likely this year, although Kilgo might make the 53. Of course, as last year, my choice is to add a veteran NT.

“Athlon sports had the 6-foot-4, 304 pound Barnett as No. 39 on their list of top 40 defensive tackles in the 2020 class. NFL.com and CBS Sports did not have Barnett projected to be picked up in the NFL draft.”

Last edited:
If Beau is an adequate NT, we are in the same place as last year. I wanted an additional DT last year. Belichick said no and went with Cowart as the backup. the same is likely this year, although Kilgo might make the 53. Of course, as last year, my choice is to add a veteran NT.

Who is still available for the NT position other than the 36 year old Peko?

-Snacks (perfect if he decides to play again)
-Dareus
-X. Williams (whom we worked out this week)

We may have to swing a trade or wait for veteran pink slips.

I'm curious as to where Snacks rated last year in run defense compared to Allen.

As for Marcel Dareus.. One has to wonder where he stands in terms of the league's drug policy. Is he a failed drug test away from a suspension? Would he even take a Vet Min deal?

Just saw that Thaddeus Moss was waived/injured by the Redskins.. Wonder if the Pats reach out to him when he's healthy..

Delanie Walker - 36 yrs old - Injured each of the prior 2 seasons - Missed 24 of 32 games
Ed ****son - 33 yrs old - Injured each of the prior 2 seasons - Missed 20 games
Garrett Celek - 32 yrs old - Injured last year - Missed 11 games.

Jeff Heuermann - Missed 13 of 48 games over the last 4 seasons.
Seth DeValve - Missed 11 of 48 games over the last 4 seasons.

Who else is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back