PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they are in need of camp bodies just solely from a logistic point of view.

What do you want them to do ? Stop practicing whenever Izzo, Keene and Asiasi need a break ? Stop working in multiple groups in parallel because there are not more on the roster ?

Why do you think Lewerke is on the roster ?

Not everyone on the camp roster is there primarily to compete for a starting job. Some are there to help use the allotted practice time more efficiently.

Same with the PS. It is not necessarily a place to polish up young players but often comprised of many players that are there for scout team purposes.

If they could have gotten one of those proven veterans at a price they feel comfortable at then those would be here instead.

I mean’t they should be prioritizing filling in the needs at these position groups. Then the camp bodies.

Whether they turn into a camp bodies or players capable of logging meaningful snaps, I would have liked them to have signed Daylon Mack or PJ Hall vs DL guys who have not played a single snap in the regular season.

Last edited:
I mean’t they should be prioritizing filling in the needs at these position groups. Then the camp bodies.

Whether they turn into a camp bodies or players capable of logging meaningful snaps, I would have liked them to have signed Daylon Mack or PJ Hall vs DL guys who have not played a single snap in the regular season.

Why waste the cap room on players who will not make the roster? I expect and hope that we will sign or trade for 2-5 veteran backups at the final cuts or in the week thereafter. A rare might even happen later.

Why waste the cap room on players who will not make the roster? I expect and hope that we will sign or trade for 2-5 veteran backups at the final cuts or in the week thereafter. A rare might even happen later.
Daylon Mack or PJ Hall would have a decent chance on making the roster. I would think they would to sign a proven veteran as soon as possible if envision giving them meaningful snaps to get them acclimated to the system.

Watch out, Cam & Stid!! :evil:

So,you want them to piss away money on players Belichick feels won't help the team. Got it.

Daylon Mack or PJ Hall would have a decent chance on making the roster. I would think they would to sign a proven veteran as soon as possible if envision giving them meaningful snaps to get them acclimated to the system.

Really? You think guys whom BB passed on in the draft and whom they didn't even sniff when they were released would somehow give meaningful snaps to this team?

Are you @captain stone ??

Of course they are in need of camp bodies just solely from a logistic point of view.

What do you want them to do ? Stop practicing whenever Izzo, Keene and Asiasi need a break ? Stop working in multiple groups in parallel because there are not more on the roster ?

Why do you think Lewerke is on the roster ?
I don't believe that Lewerke's situation is relevant to my overall point.

I don't believe that Lewerke's situation is relevant.

What you "believe" doesn't matter. The reality is that Lewerje is a camp body just like Butler, Ellis, Kilgo, and a host of others.

You've never been able to see the forest for the trees. The Pats wouldn't have a single SB Title if you were the one buying the groceries. Why? Because you ignore the intangibles and focus only on collecting talent. And that's despite the fact that BB has shown numerous times that it takes a TEAM to win.

I don't believe that Lewerke's situation is relevant to my overall point.

You didn't make a coherent point. As so often you seem to be emotional about BB and Caserio not doing what you want them to do.

The front office folks have shown that if they are interested in a player and he is available on their terms like Lamar Miller recently that they will take a flyer on anyone. It is not like there has been a shortage of vets hanging out in Foxboro during camp in the last two decades.

Lets take Charles Clay as an example.

For whatever reason you think he'd be a great player to bring in but the "incompetent front office of ours" just ignores him. BB has been prepping and coaching against Clay for eight years when he was a Miami/Buffalo player. Just maybe after seeing him for that long they don't consider him a fit for the role they have in mind. Or maybe it's because the player wants more money than they are comfortable paying.

The one thing we all can agree on is that BB has a pattern of bringing in people from division rivals that impressed him one way or the other. From what we have seen so far Clay doesn't seem to be among them.

This sucks for both players. Look for the Jags to try and sign Clowney to replace the depth they just lost.

So,you want them to piss away money on players Belichick feels won't help the team. Got it.

What money would be posed away? They will get vet minimum offers with nothing guaranteed. If they don’t make the team, they get nothing and there is no hit to the salary cap.

What money would be posed away? They will get vet minimum offers with nothing guaranteed. If they don’t make the team, they get nothing and there is no hit to the salary cap.

And why exactly do you think those supposed available vet options would accept that ? Why sign a deal with minimal -- if at all -- guarantees to work your ass off for 3 weeks in camp for a team that just drafted two TEs who are roster locks ?

Contracts are not one way streets. Just because Miller accepted a deal like that doesn't mean someone like e.g. Delanie Walker will.

It's a fallacy to assume just because a signing didn't happen that a team didn't sniff around said vet options. Hell, with Walker we even had the accompanying rumors that the Pats did just that.

All that being said. Who are those vet players that you feel they should pursue ? Got some names ?

Last edited:
And why exactly do you think those supposed available vet options would accept that ? Why sign a deal with minimal -- if at all -- guarantees to work your ass off for 3 weeks in camp for a team that just drafted two TEs who are roster locks ?

Contracts are not one way streets. Just because Miller accepted a deal like that doesn't mean someone like e.g. Delanie Walker will.

It's a fallacy to assume just because a signing didn't happen that a team didn't sniff around said vet options. Hell, with Walker we even had the accompanying rumors that the Pats did just that.

All that being said. Who are those vet players that you feel they should pursue ? Got some names ?

Was referring to players such as Mack who have very little choice. Didn’t realize Walker was part of the discussion. Totally different situations.

Lombardi hasn't been on his game of late

:haha::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back