PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how do you know what Phillips position might be? Most knowledgeable people have viewed him as a sub for Chung. Something that Brooks proved he wasn't.

Same with JoeJuan Williams. Someone who can cover TEs and Taller Slot receivers more easily.

Dugger is much more likely to be a replacement for Harmon and eventually McCourty than anyone else.
Dugger was brought in to play and expand the Chung role

Washington has a bunch of former Alabama players who will not fit well in a Rivera defense, but work great in our defense.

bb has a chance to play let’s make a deal with them!

Great signing. That D Line is pretty good if everything goes accordingly.

-Griffen
-Lawrence
-Poe
-Smith
-McCoy
-Crawford
-Anae
-Gallimore
-Armstrong
-Woods
-Hill

Last edited:
Great signing. That D Line is pretty good if everything goes accordingly.

-Griffen
-Lawrence
-Poe
-Smith
-McCoy
-Crawford
-Anae
-Gallimore
-Armstrong
-Woods
-Hill

Un - feckin - believable. Little Billy has > $32M in 2020 cap space and Griffin was willing to sign only a one-year contract...Tell me who our starting DEs are again?

Un - feckin - believable. Little Billy has > $32M in 2020 cap space and Griffin was willing to sign only a one-year contract...Tell me who our starting DEs are again?
I knew this was coming :D

6 for a year? 3 & 3 contract?

I'm curious what Bill would pay for JC? I'd love to hear his thoughts on him bc on the outside looking in, he's perfect for what Bill has been doing.

Only thing I take from it is Bill continuing with Butler, Guy & Co taking up blockers, double teams etc while our LBs run around stunting & looping. Butler has become a terrific penetrator here.

Again though JC could be clutch here. He's the ideal weapon for a multiple defense. Can line up & attack from anywhere. You can use him inside/outside & take advantage of a weakness while others do their thing. Great run defender & obviously getting after the QB.

Idk I know he's a big name but I'd love to see him here.

I knew this was coming :D

6 for a year? 3 & 3 contract?

I'm curious what Bill would pay for JC? I'd love to hear his thoughts on him bc on the outside looking in, he's perfect for what Bill has been doing.

Only thing I take from it is Bill continuing with Butler, Guy & Co taking up blockers, double teams etc while our LBs run around stunting & looping. Butler has become a terrific penetrator here.

Again though JC could be clutch here. He's the ideal weapon for a multiple defense. Can line up & attack from anywhere. You can use him inside/outside & take advantage of a weakness while others do their thing. Great run defender & obviously getting after the QB.

Idk I know he's a big name but I'd love to see him here.

So would I, because he's the best DE still available by a wider margin than ever now...If he signs just a one-year contract somewhere else...I mean if he's not tanking for Trevor/playing the kids, then why hasn't Bill signed more vets, even if they're simply Luke Stocker- and Demar Dotson-type of players? Very frustrating.

What do you mean??!? We have All-Pro/Future HOF Marshall Newhouse..
I would seriously sign him or old friend Adrian laWaddle to compete for the RT position ...
Newhouse played better during his limited reps at RT than Cannon did all of last season; and
Waddle when healthy was a decent backup OT, especially at RT...He also had starting college experience at LT...

We have heard from multiple sources that Clowney has very questionable work ethic in practice plus according to Lombardi/Perry would not be a fit as he isn't a player who really wants to set an edge but rather go after the QB. Odds are someone will sign him long before his contract falls far enough for us to take a flyer despite all that.

Am surprised you are so high on him.

We have heard from multiple sources that Clowney has very questionable work ethic in practice plus according to Lombardi/Perry would not be a fit as he isn't a player who really wants to set an edge but rather go after the QB. Odds are someone will sign him long before his contract falls far enough for us to take a flyer despite all that.

Am surprised you are so high on him.
I'd be careful who I listen to. You really have to do your own work. Just to verify, for more context or any in some cases ... I'd rather be wrong on my own account than someone else.

Anyway I read what Mike said and already commented on it. Honestly it wasn't his best stuff.

"What does Clowney like to do? Clowney loves to run up the field," said Lombardi
"What does New England teach their defensive ends? To never run up the field.

This is false all around.
1)JC is someone best used on stunts, matchups inside, good inside rusher from the edge ... He's a weapon. So the idea that he just rushes up field or that's what he's known for laughable. Coaches just don't deploy him that way. Again he's a weapon for a multiple defense.

2)JC has literally been one of the best run defenders at his position. Specifically talking play against the run, hes top 5-7 at his position. It's funny bc when you talk to or listen to people that really know him as a player its his pass rush that draws concern. Also funny bc that was his big draw out of college.

Anyway he's been the best run defender on w/e team he played for or top 2 since he came in the league I believe.

Specifically "setting the edge" ... He does a vg at using his length, keeping his outside shoulder clean, ability to disengage, grip strength and finish ...

Lazy analysis from Mike with all due respect. I know you like him and some of the other. Sometimes he's good but you really have to check for yourself or verify through our means.

The real reason we stay away, if we stay away. JC is a big freelancer. College, pros ... He does his thing within the scheme. He's usually right. Either making the play or directing into someone else's lap but he's a freelancer.

We've been through that with multiple players and saw how that ends so I wouldn't be surprised if Bill just isn't excited about bringing in a guy like that at this stage. Who knows?

I wouldn't break the bank for JC. He is someone you have to coddle a little bit during the week. Not ideal but every team has them. Everyone has guys that are always dealing with something. Cannon, Gronk... Just think he's a good fit but I'd have a hard # for a contract.Screenshot_2020-08-13-07-58-03.png
Screenshot_2020-08-13-08-00-41.png
Screenshot_2020-08-13-08-01-55.png
Screenshot_2020-08-13-08-02-29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-13-07-58-03.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-13-07-58-03.png
    363.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Lazy analysis from Mike with all due respect. I know you like him and some of the other. Sometimes he's good but you really have to check for yourself or verify through our means.

Maybe it seems lazy to you but he is usually way more often correct than wrong especially when it comes to how the Pats evaluate players. Whether that is draft or FA acquisitions. Which makes sense because he was part of putting those fundamental tenets in place back in their Cleveland times. Which is why I give his insight more rope than others.

You might call it freelancing, Lombardi might be calling it "rushing past the defender" but what it boils down to is that he can't always be trusted to do his job as an edge defender in situations that call for him to show patience and play within the scheme. Mix that together with a questionable work ethic in practice and a non-trivial price tag and it doesn't necessarily scream fit to me.

Now nobody is denying that JC is a very talented player who can make plays. He has been in the league now since 2014. Odds are that he is a finished product and won't suddenly reinvent himself. The question is if the plays he makes are enough upside to balance out the times he is out of position and opens up holes in the defense. And all of that has to be weighted relative to his cap hit.

In other words knowing all you do about JC at what point in terms of salary does he become "value" ?

We have heard from multiple sources that Clowney has very questionable work ethic in practice plus according to Lombardi/Perry would not be a fit as he isn't a player who really wants to set an edge but rather go after the QB...
The actual evidence suggests otherwise.

And anyone who convinced Bill to choose Dom Easily at #29 overall has Zero credibility with me.

In other words knowing all you do about JC at what point in terms of salary does he become "value" ?
Everson Griffin's deal is an excellent starting point.

And are the rumors true that Bill has also re-signed Darius Kilgo, Tyler Gauthier & Thanksdad Ferentz?

Championshiiip...

And are the rumors true that Bill has also re-signed Darius Kilgo, Tyler Gauthier & Thanksdad Ferentz?

Championshiiip...

I heard about the first two, but Ferentz? Please God no.

I heard about the first two, but Ferentz? Please God no.
I haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet, though I did see it here:

Pats Picker 2019

The site's usually pretty good about keeping the TC roster updated, thus my concern...

Maybe it seems lazy to you but he is usually way more often correct than wrong especially when it comes to how the Pats evaluate players. Whether that is draft or FA acquisitions. Which makes sense because he was part of putting those fundamental tenets in place back in their Cleveland times. Which is why I give his insight more rope than others.

You might call it freelancing, Lombardi might be calling it "rushing past the defender" but what it boils down to is that he can't always be trusted to do his job as an edge defender in situations that call for him to show patience and play within the scheme. Mix that together with a questionable work ethic in practice and a non-trivial price tag and it doesn't necessarily scream fit to me.

Now nobody is denying that JC is a very talented player who can make plays. He has been in the league now since 2014. Odds are that he is a finished product and won't suddenly reinvent himself. The question is if the plays he makes are enough upside to balance out the times he is out of position and opens up holes in the defense. And all of that has to be weighted relative to his cap hit.

I remember addressing the bolded in another post but for w/e reason forgot in the one above.

Specifically regarding rushers getting up field ... Bill literally has them do exactly at times. Flowers & Wise specifically.

Bill loves those long, stiff rushers. One way guys like that will attack the QB is purposely rushing so far up field they can come back inside after getting their guy out of position.

I've seen countless times. Too many to count again with different players. It's almost like turning a weakness into a strength since they're limited pass rushers. Clayborn & Anderson too.

It's not something you want to see often but you see enough in individual rushes and to free up delayed blitz attack the edge. You know it's part of the plan at times.

Also since Mike didn't bring up that point any where in the article I can't give him credit and pretend that's where his mind was at. He was just way off in his analysis of JC.

Also I'm not seeing anything about a questionable work ethic if you can pass that link along? You have to coddle him in terms of his body/injuries but every team has guys like that to an extent. You just manage around.

Maybe JC is too much all around?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes