PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any new rumors regarding a possible Thuney trade?

Trade our 2nd to a needy coach on the hotseat for 2021 1st.. Houston and Detroit.
Trade a 3rd for Howard
Trade a 4th for Armstead

Can someone please explain in simple terms why we have no cap space?

If we offloaded contracts like TB, AB, Gronk and also, any time a player "wants to get paid" they walk, like Jones/Flowers.. how do we have no money?

I feel like if you lose all your best/highest paid players it would mean you then can replace said players with the new cap room.. guess not!

If we offloaded contracts like TB, AB, Gronk and also, any time a player "wants to get paid" they walk, like Jones/Flowers.. how do we have no money?

I feel like if you lose all your best/highest paid players it would mean you then can replace said players with the new cap room.. guess not!
Signing bonus money is spread over the length of the contract, and in general is due when a player is released or cut.

The team has 18m in dead cap money from Brady and Antonio Brown alone. They were paid large signing bonuses in the past to keep their cap hits lower in those early years.

Dead cap from Brady is like 13 million and I believe Brown is like 9 million

I would trade Thuney to A bad team for a first or second next season.

I think the weakest team will be the Bears
I want that first

Any new rumors regarding a possible Thuney trade?
Haven't heard anything specifically but if he was to be traded today, DET at 35, Giants at 36 make sense.

Reports were MIA discussed it but I cant see BB sending him there.

Signing bonus money is spread over the length of the contract, and in general is due when a player is released or cut.

The team has 18m in dead cap money from Brady and Antonio Brown alone. They were paid large signing bonuses in the past to keep their cap hits lower in those early years.
Thanks, so it will be next season before we get that money back to splash out if BB sees fit?

Thanks, so it will be next season before we get that money back to splash out if BB sees fit?
NE is projected to be ~$90-$100m under the cap next year.

I would trade Thuney to A bad team for a first or second next season.

If you think you’re getting a 1st or 2nd for Thuney you must be starting disinfectant injections.

NE is projected to be ~$90-$100m under the cap next year.

That was pre-Covid 19. There’s a real chance the cap will decrease in 2021 because of lost revenues in 2020. The Patriots should still be in good shape, but not as good as they would have been.

I’ve heard speculation that the possibility of the cap decreasing is hurting Joe Thuney’s trade value because a long term contract would have to be part of any trade needed for the Pats to get maximum value for him. You’d think it might convince the Thuney camp to lesson his demands increasing the chances of he and the Pats doing something long-term. I’m kinda hoping that’s what happens. Thuney, the player, is a lot more valuable than the 3rd he’ll bring you in a trade at this point.

I:d

Frankly i would have done what the dolphins did. Trade players for future first round picks. Have a crappy 2020 with the money they will have and load up.
The Fins believed they would have been crappy anyway as the players they dumped weren't fits for the culture and scheme.

That is not the case with us (or at least what BB believes).

That was pre-Covid 19. There’s a real chance the cap will decrease in 2021 because of lost revenues in 2020. The Patriots should still be in good shape, but not as good as they would have been.

I’ve heard speculation that the possibility of the cap decreasing is hurting Joe Thuney’s trade value because a long term contract would have to be part of any trade needed for the Pats to get maximum value for him. You’d think it might convince the Thuney camp to lesson his demands increasing the chances of he and the Pats doing something long-term. I’m kinda hoping that’s what happens. Thuney, the player, is a lot more valuable than the 3rd he’ll bring you in a trade at this point.
Yea they said if they are playing in front of empty stadiums the cap will go from $200m to ~$170m.

25.6M in dead money. 25% of our cap space now taken by 4 players including Gilmore and Thuney.

If that dead money was cap space the Pats would be top 5 in the league in free cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft