PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oficial Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
unnecessary roughness would be a bad call , yes. I had thought they flagged it for helmet to helmet which technically there was contact with the helmets so that play being flagged isnt a COMPLETE disaster. That said my issue was with people choosing to complain about and focus in that ONE call rather than the ones benefiting az. Thats more inconsistent than any ‘homer’ viewpoint you are claiming here.

maybe.......but I saw both calls the same relative way.......many here aren't

Someone mentioned it in this topic. Tanking- meaning losing games on purpose to improve your draft position - is cheating. I think we all know this is the very last team in the league that wants to do anything to be put on the league radar for anything that could be interpreted that way.

So the Pats deliberately lose the rest of their games in 2020 starting with the first Jets game like a lot of us wanted them to and finish 2-14. Don't tell me league eyebrows wouldn't be raised if a Bill Belichick coached team skids to a 2-14 finish the year that Brady left with Lawrence the top prize in the draft next year. League would investigate, find that it was done on purpose, and most likely we would be hit with a punishment unprecedented in severity in sports history including the loss of the picks we all thought we'd get.

No point hand wringing over it now. There will be good players to be had at our draft position and we didn't have to cheat to get there.

Last edited:
Belichick has been looking for a the kind of player Dugger could become for 20 years. If he grows into it there is a critical role for him. Hightower may be the most versatile defender belichick has had here and Dugger was drafted to grow into the Hightower of the secondary.
Uncle Dugg was drafted here only because Xavier McKinney was taken one spot before him...Envisioning him as the HT of the secondary is ridiculous, even if he's already not that much younger than HT...Heck some people here don't see his eventual future as a Safety at all because his coverage "skills" suck...
Who drafted Plunkett BTW? Must've been a tanking team - how'd that work out for them?
I ass-ume you know that Plunkett was a 2-time SB winner, so...

maybe.......but I saw both calls the same relative way.......many here aren't

understood mang. I personally saw the call on cam as questionable/break for us and the ‘blindside hit’ as total bs. Could be fandom who knows but thats how i saw it

Uncle Dugg was drafted here only because Xavier McKinney was taken one spot before him...Envisioning him as the HT of the secondary is ridiculous, even if he's already not that much younger than HT...Heck some people here don't see his eventual future as a Safety at all because his coverage "skills" suck...

Give him a chance because there are plenty of other Pats players to pick on. He has footwork and processing issues. Everyone knew this coming into the draft. He’s still playing faster than most rookies, is athletic AF and does a lot well. He’s 24, not 30, so the age thing is a red herring.

I don't necessarily disagree with this but the culture of a football team is almost always set by the attitude and play of its QB. Just the nature of the position makes it so even for QBs who have no interest in being the leader (i.e. Flacco, Cutler, etc.). The Chiefs are such a prime example of this. Reid and his teams were always looked as talented teams with good coaching but always falling short in the post-season because of either dumb QB play or dumb coaching. Along comes Mahomes with his talent AND attitude and they win the SB in his third year with three come from behind wins.
I disagree with this. It CAN be the case, as leadership can take many forms, but it doesn’t have to be the case at all.

You have no clue whether belichick wanted McKinney or Dugger.
I was referring to Hightower having the most diverse role in the front 7 of anyone bb has had, and the role Dugger will
end up in if all goes well will be as versatile in the secondary. Diggers coverage skills are fine.

A two time SB winner with whom - not the team that had to have tanked to get him or else would never win (according to many here as THE way to win: just accumulate high draft picks).

Honestly cannot think of an example of a sports team (any sport) keeping their coach and GM, purposely tanking, drafting some star player, and rebuilding a culture with that same coach/GM, and having success after. Generally speaking there is a period of stinking, a change-up in Coach/GM, and new leadership "starting fresh" with some shiny new young draft picks.

Look up the 1996/97 San Antonio Spurs. They tanked for a shot at Tim Duncan. It worked. The same team/coach that tanked that season romped through the NBA for years afterword.

Look up the 1996/97 San Antonio Spurs. They tanked for a shot at Tim Duncan. It worked. The same team/coach that tanked that season romped through the NBA for years afterword.
Not an apples to apples comparison - they didn't purposely lose - David Robinson and Sean Elliott were both hurt and out the entire year.

Ok so is your argument that are strategy should be? Bet on a once in a half century occurrence to happen to our team for a second time? Sounds like some amazingly sound team building strategy lol.

Also still ignore 51% of SB winning QB’s came in the first half of the first round

Love how you change the goal posts. First you're saying they should tank to try and get the 1st overall.. Now you're yammering on about 51% of the SB Winning QBs being in the first half of the first round. Yet you totally ignore that the league has CHANGED since the start of free agency and, therefore, so has the recipe for where to find your QB.

Since 1995, How many of the QBs drafted in the "Top 16" have won the SB? 6. Aikman, Elway(2), Peyton Manning (2), Eli Manning (2), Ben Roethlisberger(2), and Patrick Mahomes. They account for 10 wins of the 25 SBs.. 40%. Doesn't really support your claim.

It's amazing how you just make things up regarding some of the Pats players.

Claiming that they went with Dugger because McKinney was off the board is laughable. There is no way you know that to be fact.

Considering he's a rookie, Dugger has done a very good job covering TEs and RBs out of the backfield. Unlike you, many of us see the huge potential that Dugger has and how he's progressed this season.

Love how you change the goal posts. First you're saying they should tank to try and get the 1st overall.. Now you're yammering on about 51% of the SB Winning QBs being in the first half of the first round. Yet you totally ignore that the league has CHANGED since the start of free agency and, therefore, so has the recipe for where to find your QB.

Since 1995, How many of the QBs drafted in the "Top 16" have won the SB? 6. Aikman, Elway(2), Peyton Manning (2), Eli Manning (2), Ben Roethlisberger(2), and Patrick Mahomes. They account for 10 wins of the 25 SBs.. 40%. Doesn't really support your claim.
Considering the range from the rest is all over the draft, 40 percent bring in the first 16 is pretty good. Especially when a quarter of them are one guy from a round that only has yielded one SB winner in 50 years.

It’s hard to say that this isn’t the absolute best spot to aim for a QB

Also that’s assuming SB win should be the metric. It’s insanely difficult. Outside of 4 guys in history (Brady, Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw) nobody has more than 3.

Edit: it’s also 44%. Dilfer was a 6th overall, as much as it’s mediocre to count him, but if the Ravens needed a first round quality game manager....

Last edited:
Not an apples to apples comparison - they didn't purposely lose - David Robinson and Sean Elliott were both hurt and out the entire year.
Not to mention that Popovich as the GM fired coach Bob Hill during the season.

Smith was more likely to go but it was a debate and Rodgers had a camera in his face and his fall was the entire draft discussion the couple hours. It was probably the biggest live draft fall since the 2000’s

Yea that's my recollection. That they kept showing his face from the 10th pick'ish onward. I follow every year's draft. It was more they made it a story on draft night. But Rodgers was never in the running as a top10 pick before the draft. Alex Smith was the consensus QB. It wasn't like they thought Rodgers would go top3 like Tua and dropped to 24. It was more like, if Darnold dropped and ended up being good.

He even played for two weeks in January but put him on the shelf *to* tank.
I lived in SA at that time. That "shelving", wasn't because he was healed. Those two weeks he played made it obvious he was both in pain and not ready to return. He was shut down to rehab, but go ahead and revise history to fit the narrative that losing is a winning strategy.

I lived in SA at that time. That "shelving", wasn't because he was healed. Those two weeks he played made it obvious he was both in pain and not ready to return. He was shut down to rehab, but go ahead and revise history to fit the narrative that losing is a winning strategy.

I am fixing my previous post to add the dates and injury...

Robinson started the season on the bench with a back injury. He then came back for 6 games in mid-December (one website said January). He broke his foot December 25th - which has a typical 6 week recovery period. He sat out the rest of the season - 16 more weeks. David Robinson's foot was completely healed well before the end of that season - well before.

Popovich took over early enough in the year to make the tank a reality. There's never been any debate that they tanked. And it worked well. The only people who claim otherwise are Spurs fans who don't want to taint their team - besides the fact that it's technically against the rules of the NBA.

Hey, I am a Celtics fan and I'll admit that the 1996/97 Celtics tanked even harder than the Spurs in their effort to get Duncan. They had 5 less wins than the Spurs and still lost the lottery.

Tanking - meaning losing games on purpose to get a better draft position = cheating. The Patriots are the last team on the planet that ought to try to cheat to get an advantage and I mentioned what would happen if we try.

And not just that, Belichick would no longer be our coach if Kraft ordered it to happen. I don't think letting Belichick go is a very good idea if the team wants to become a playoff team sometime this decade.

Last edited:
Nope. Some of us geezers remember Joe Kapp's one year as a Pat in 1970.

11 games, 3 TD's, 17 INT's.

As I recall, folks really tore up the old PatsFans BB.

View attachment 29324
I was so excited when the Pats got Kapp, QB from a SB (losing) team. I thought they would turn the corner. What a downer

Claiming that they went with Dugger because McKinney was off the board is laughable. There is no way you know that to be fact.

Caserio actually said that they landed 2 of the 3 guys they were targeting in the second round. Dugger and Uche.

And Dugger looks like an absolute hit. He is fast, consistent against the run and competent in coverage in his rookie year. There is nothing not to like about him. Uche also has looked the part but with a smaller sample size so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back