PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Free Agents thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Chris Long retires, Julius Peppers seems like an upgrade as the 3rd pass rusher looking for a ring. He's one of BB's favorite players.

He played 58% of snaps last year in GB. Chris Long played 60% of snaps with us.

Flowers
Rookie
Peppers

seems better than:

Flowers
Sheard
Long

Long already said he won't retire. Not sure why everyone keeps bringing it up still.

Ware and Peppers are way too long in the tooth for my taste..

Free agency should certainly be interesting with all the cap space that the Pats have... I just really hope they use some of it on Hightower and Branch

Isn't Michael Thomas of the Dolphins a free agent? I'd be shocked if they don't go after him. He always hurts us, plays all special teams units and defense, and has been praised by Pats players and coaches. If any non-rookie replaces Harmon, he'd be my guess.

Would love me some AJ Bouie from Texans as CB #2.

Cyrus Jones will be in his sophomore year next season. I think he will make marked improvements both on D and in the Return Game. Eric Rowe showed us how good it is to have Big CB who can run and cover some. It really makes it tough on opposing QB's who have to make perfect throws. IF we are planning on drafting another CB: over 6'0 or more should be a major requirement.

How about Andre Branch from MIA or Calais Campbell?..

How good is Jack Doyle on the Colts? He had a pretty good season in that offense and I think from what I've heard is that he's a pretty solid blocker as well..

Word is that he'll be testing free agency, so I wonder if we give him a look

Coming from the Globe and resident troll Volin but for whatever it's worth:

One reason the Patriots traded Jamie Collins in November? We’re told he was insulted by the Patriots’ contract offer last season (in the $10 million-$11 million per year range) and took it personally, letting it sour his attitude. Collins recently signed a deal with the Browns that will guarantee him $26 million over the first two years. Other Patriots such as Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan, and Dont’a Hightower also turned down low-ball offers but didn’t let it affect them.

It gives even more context on Collins and how getting rid of him as the right decision from a team building perspective. That being said, I'd rather get a ballpark of numbers of Butler, Ryan and Hightower and not just Volin saying "low-ball" to bait people into the usual "Patriots are cheap" schtick.

There is no "true" value because both the player and the team have usually their own POV on what they are worth. And just because another one of the 31 teams is ready to pay more doesn't make the previous offer "low-ball". With Collins we are talking the difference of making 10-11m in Foxboro and 12.5 on average in Cleveland.

Butler, Ryan and DH should all be back...we have the cash. They are key parts to keeping this D and what we have intact for another ring

Stephone Anthony may be available. Word is he may be "falling out of favor" in NO.

Stephone Anthony

Hightower will be franchised for $14m for one season. Otherwise, he is gone. I think this quote makes it clear that he likely want more money than the Pats will pay: Hightower told the Providence Journal of free agency. “I’m looking forward to it. … I love New England. I love the fans. They can keep their cold weather, but it’s been a great five years and I’ve loved every second of it.”

We are going to draft a young DE early and then resign Long or another veteran pass rusher on a one year deal as part of the transition. Nink is getting on in age so we really need to use this year as the transition phase.

Flowers is great but more of an interior pass rusher on 3rd down so definitely need some help on the outside if Sheard goes.

If Ryan signs elsewhere, I assume we will go to the draft for that area too. Even mediocre corners get paid. The cap space will go on resigning as many of our free agents as possible - Hightower and Butler are gonna get long term deals at top market prices. Then we will see where the value lies with Ryan, Harmon, Bennett, Branch etc. I don't envisage a big free agent signing.

Hightower will be franchised for $14m for one season. Otherwise, he is gone. I think this quote makes it clear that he likely want more money than the Pats will pay: Hightower told the Providence Journal of free agency. “I’m looking forward to it. … I love New England. I love the fans. They can keep their cold weather, but it’s been a great five years and I’ve loved every second of it.”
I think Hightower is gone other than a franchise tag. Look for him in Tennessee, Atlanta, Tampa, NO. Ryan gone, somebody overpay, Butler extended (I hope) and please extend Branch. The rest I don't care. Also please resign DA

In my eyes the McClellin experiment failed and -- unless a switch goes on miraculously -- he will be cut at some point next summer. Only around 800k in dead money. I think LB will be a big construction site in this upcoming season.

What makers you say the "McClellin experiment" failed? I saw a guy who did decently despite coming out of a horribly run team and it being just the 1st year with the Pats. You're acting like he did nothing and was a liability more than a help.. Yet he saw more playing time than Mingo.

I think Hightower is gone other than a franchise tag. Look for him in Tennessee, Atlanta, Tampa, NO. Ryan gone, somebody overpay, Butler extended (I hope) and please extend Branch. The rest I don't care. Also please resign DA

Butler is a restricted free agent. He's not likely going anywhere.
Amendola is still under contract. Not sure why are you saying they should "re-sign" him.
Hightower is likely getting franchised..

What makers you say the "McClellin experiment" failed? I saw a guy who did decently despite coming out of a horribly run team and it being just the 1st year with the Pats. You're acting like he did nothing and was a liability more than a help.. Yet he saw more playing time than Mingo.

That's because you apparently had weird expectations. Mingo was never really more than a ST player. If you expected anything else you clearly didn't pay any attention to the issues he had throughout his tenure in Cleveland.

Apart from the fieldgoal block McClellin didn't do anything of consequence all season which as a specifically selected FA is disappointing. He was the same liability playing as cover LB as Roberts, KVN or Hightower.

But then again you are pressing disagree on a post where I literally just quote what Mayo said on a podcast so why am I even arguing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents