PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Free Agents thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Hightower is going to be back. He is not a 60 snap a game guy and I don't think BB values that at 13mill. He misses 2-4 games a year for his first 5 years, the next four an reasonable expectation is that it will increase. I see him moving the defense away from 265lb linebackers. Guys who I want to see added are Jalani Jenkins who was hurt this past year, and Malcolm Smith.

I would kill to see DeMarcus Ware in a Patriots uniform.

Just when we got rid of pass rushers who consistently disappear in the second half of seasons..

Bennet was on NFLN last night with his brother and was saying that now that he has the ring its time to cash it in... i am pretty sure he is gone
if they sign Hightower, they may franchise Bennett.

Amendola i don't see going anywhere. we have him under contract, hopefully hes good with only making about half what hes scheduled to make

Blount is probably gone unless he comes back for 1mil, but even at that i think his best days are behind him, he's been missing SO many giant holes lately, last night he missed an easy 5 yard cut and ended up getting tackled for a loss on 4th an inches.

Butler and hightower id love to see get 4-5 year deals.

Bennett is gone. hes a great tight end, but we cant commit 14-16 million a year into two players at tight end.

Mingo long and sheard all got their rings, i wouldnt be surprised to see long retire, mingo and sheard sign mid range contracts elsewhere, bill will bring in three more hungry edge players who will go for a title on a cheap one year deal.

Van noy i'd like to see stick around.

Biggest needs are going to be Oline, RB, and filling all the defensive holes were about to see open up.

Malcom mitchel, and Hogan means were good at WR, with jules, and amendola we are 4 deep. bring in a couple of camp bodies(floyd, another rookie) and see how it pans out.
>>Bennett is gone. hes a great tight end, but we cant commit 14-16 million a year into two players at tight end.

Belichick already offered him 7 million per year (which he turned down) So Belichick is fine with 16 mil per year at TE.

He's made $61m over his career. Maybe he's in for a "chance to win it all" discount. If not, pass. Pats NEED a serviceable running back, not a superstar. Although, superstar would be nice.
How is Peterson as a receiver? Most Pats' backs need to be able to catch passes and be used in audibles like the "Jordan" formation used against the Steelers. I don't know that he is not into being a receiver just curious. In 04, things were a little different but I do remember Corey being able to catch passes sometimes.

Let's hope. Always prefer players to prospects..
there are alot of good Defensive back and Pass Rushers in this draft. I think Belichick likes the first contract players these days and the challenge of turning over rosters. (Jones, Collins for example, and other guys he brings in based on value.) He also values availability and depth more than some other traits. I think he is going to look to turnover the D some.

I would be shocked if Hightower leaves. The two Pats that I think may not be coming back are Bennett and Harmon. Would love to see both of them back, but just can't see us breaking the bank for either of them, I bet other teams will pay more.

I agree, but his statement was that teams overpay for Superbowl champions.

That really shows ignorance of what it takes to win a championship, and is indicting whoever over pays him, doesn't understand the cap and chase shiny objects. Rats?

It won't be the Pats. I am sure BB will give him an offer he can take if he can't find anything better in free agency.

We'll see if teams have learned anything watching BB dominate.
The very term "overpay" means they are making a mistake in doing so. The Pats will not overpay him for sure, or anyone, but certainly not him.

The problem with franchising Hightower is that there is that they don't make any distinction between OLB's and ILB's. OLB's like Von Miller have increased the LB franchise tag to over 14MM currently. Next year it will will likely be over 15MM. The peak of the ILB market is Luke Keckely (sp?) at 12MM. Hightower's fair market price should be just below that.

So I don't think franchising Hightower is a smart move UNLESS you use it just to give you more time to complete the LT deal. I don't see Hightower playing the year under a franchise tag.
I don't think he would sit down for the year in protest though. I think if he is franchised, they work out a deal eventually.. and then he stays in New England.

He will be one way or the other. If not signed he is the Franchise tag.

That would be a little too rich. 15 million dollars. This team has to try and resign other guys. I like high but in no way he should be making more money than kuechly. I think he can be paid in the wagner range and wagner's a heck of a player who can do it all including coverage.

>>Bennett is gone. hes a great tight end, but we cant commit 14-16 million a year into two players at tight end.

Belichick already offered him 7 million per year (which he turned down) So Belichick is fine with 16 mil per year at TE.

Someone mentioned julius thomas. Maybe he can resurrect his career. That's assuming the Jaguar release him.

If Chris Long retires, Julius Peppers seems like an upgrade as the 3rd pass rusher looking for a ring. He's one of BB's favorite players.

He played 58% of snaps last year in GB. Chris Long played 60% of snaps with us.

Flowers
Rookie
Peppers

seems better than:

Flowers
Sheard
Long

It will be criminal if we don't get Butler and Hightower, they have done it the Patriots way, it is time to reward them. No funny games. Show them the money period.

It will be criminal if we don't get Butler and Hightower, they have done it the Patriots way, it is time to reward them. No funny games. Show them the money period.

They showed hightower some love and he turned it down. I see 11 million as good money for him.

If the Pats wanted Cunningham, they could have signed him to a futures contract already. He's got STs ability, but as a returned. I don't see the fit with Lewis and White entrenched and the Pats liking Foster. He's not a replacement for Blount.

Agree that Cunningham doesn't represent a need but they obviously already had White and Lewis last offseason and still brought in Cunningham for a visit. He is still a member of the Rams, so he's not eligible for be signed to a futures contract. Agree that replacement for Blount is the priority and will likely come via draft

Unless the Pats cut Amendola, it will be bottom end only for WR.
None of the 3 TEs you mention are a fit for the Pats. Williams has to be re-signed.

Have to respeactfully disagree. Griffin was productive for BOB, he's big, tough, good blocker. Doyle also seems like a fit for this offense. Willson was a throw in...has a lot of talent but it hasn't translated into production. Williams is already signed for next season.

I don't know that the Pats will look at Hawley. It will be interesting.

Gholston is the 3rd TB Buc you've mentioned.. I'm guessing you watch a lot of their games..

Haha. Yes, I had Winston and Evans on my fantasy team. Alas, my dream of a 3-peat ended in the championship game.

At 6'6 and 280lbs, Gholston does look like he'd be a prototypical Patriots 4-3 DE. That being said, he's 25 and will probably be highly sought after on the FA Market, though he may fall into the 2nd tier of signings because of people like Charles Johnson and Tyson Alualu being available.

They have 63 mill in cap space. If they don't offer moderate to big money to at least 1 outside free agent I'll be disappointed. Spending it on a young talent like Gholston who fits their DE prototype just makes a ton of sense to me. His price will be high but not obscene.

The Pats will probably add a CB or two via the draft. CB is supposed to be one of the deeper positions.

Last edited:
If Chris Long retires, Julius Peppers seems like an upgrade as the 3rd pass rusher looking for a ring. He's one of BB's favorite players.

Flowers
Rookie
Peppers

seems better than:

Flowers
Sheard
Long

Idk. What about a guy like charles johnson? I think peppers's done.

Flowers
Rookie
Peppers

seems better than:

Flowers
Sheard
Long
Peppers is a really good idea, I'd be down with that. I'd rather have Ware though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents