PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pregame Thread- Pats @ Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a phone call begging me to suit up for the Jets due to their player personnel problems*. Anyone else getting those?
*no, not really
Sadly, no, for some reason my highest number of phone calls every day are a bunch of new friends I've never met asking me about selling my house or an extended car warranty. I only wish instead I was getting calls asking me to suit up for the Jets, not only would I make a few extra bucks but I have a sneaky feeling it might help the Pats in this upcoming game :)

I don't recall hearing stories like this coming out of the Patriots. Mac's not used to losing. Hope this kid isn't too emotional and instead has ice running through his veins.

I don't recall hearing stories like this coming out of the Patriots. Mac's not used to losing. Hope this kid isn't too emotional and instead has ice running through his veins.
Presumably you're referring to the link above?
"Mac Jones hates to lose. The Patriots rookie quarterback was stewing after his NFL debut, which ended in a 17-16 loss to the Miami Dolphins. Jones said he gives himself a steadfast rule when it comes to losses — take 24 hours and then put it behind you."

"I usually wait for a little bit of time, it just depends, but you know, sometimes when we lose, I always look ahead just to get a sneak peek of what we want to look at," Jones said. "So it just depends on the game, but definitely early this week for sure." When asked if he looked at the Jets game on Sunday night, Jones smiled and said, "Yeah."

"I think we're moving in the right direction," Jones said. "Just take it day-by-day and obviously there shouldn't be any focus on the past. We just got to focus on what we need to get better at. That's kind of for me. Just fundamentally what can I do each day, extra or whatever, just to improve so that when I get to the game we just play fast and we play better than we did last week."

""I mean it's not fun to lose, so just learning from what we could have done better is definitely just the only thing you can do really," Jones said. "You can sit there and feel bad for yourself for a little bit because that's your human and that's what you're supposed to do or you're in the wrong profession. But you just got to move on. So the 24 hour rule - just after 24 hours. Some people it's less, but for me after that, just move on and play the next play, play the next game. You're only as good as your last game so we lost and that's what people remember, so we just got to move forward."

What in there is cause for concern about Mac's emotions in your opinion? What about that story is unusual coming from the Patriots? It's a straightforward reporting piece on Mac's response since Sunday's loss as far as I can tell.

That story only makes me feel better about Mac. I didn't come away with any concern after reading that.

Presumably you're referring to the link above?

What in there is cause for concern about Mac's emotions in your opinion? What about that story is unusual coming from the Patriots? It's a straightforward reporting piece on Mac's response since Sunday's loss as far as I can tell.

That story only makes me feel better about Mac. I didn't come away with any concern after reading that.
Lol, I'm not concerned. Just hoping he's got ice water running through his veins. We really don't yet know how this young man, a rookie, will react to the pressures of being an NFL QB. By all accounts, he's sometimes too hard on himself. It's a long season.

We really don't yet know how this young man, a rookie, will react to the pressures of being an NFL QB.

Yes, we do. You either have it or you don't.

Yes, we do. You either have it or you don't.
I get your excitement. He looked good out there under constant pressure. However, there's a few things to consider:
1. Home game.
2. Josh kept him safe w/ play calls, mainly quick short passes.
3. Good pass/run (56/44) mix.
4. Played against a very well known opponent (5 games between Flores & BB) in 3 years.

This is a long season. We have yet to see him play on the road, under "must win" scenario, or having to carry the team on his shoulders. He's extremely intelligent but also a perfectionist, which isn't necessarily a good trait.

Again, excellent start, but imo we just haven't seen enough to draw any far reaching conclusions. I'm just trying to be realistic not a debbie downer.

Your post makes no sense and kind of implies Jones is the reason why they aren't 1-0
The QB always gets the lions share of credit/blame. That's the way it has always worked. We really can't lose to the Jets and fall to 0-2 though. That would be a disaster.

Wow, how dark. Lighten up a little bit, will ya?

Belushi.jpg
Nah, it's how I feel and a meme isn't going to change that.

The QB always gets the lions share of credit/blame. That's the way it has always worked. We really can't lose to the Jets and fall to 0-2 though. That would be a disaster.
Not in NE with Brady. No one said a word from 2007-2012 when his postseason performances were the elephant in the room.

I don't get all the "must win else disaster" talk.

This is a rookie QB in his first season, not to mention lots of new players on the team or players stepping into new roles such as Harris as RB1 and Stephenson as RB2. It's gonna take some time for everything to come together. Not to mention BB traditionally uses the early part of the season to move players around and find out what he really has for later in the season. I don't see the need to stress out over what often has been an extended training camp. It makes no sense to expect perfection out of new and young players and make yourself miserable if it doesn't happen.

I fully expect the Patriots to beat the Jets this weekend, but if they don't, I won't treat it as a disaster, it's just another exercise to help improve the team.

This is a rookie QB in his first season, not to mention lots of new players on the team or players stepping into new roles such as Harris as RB1 and Stephenson as RB2. It's gonna take some time for everything to come together. Not to mention BB traditionally uses the early part of the season to move players around and find out what he really has for later in the season. I don't see the need to stress out over what often has been an extended training camp. It makes no sense to expect perfection out of new and young players and make yourself miserable if it doesn't happen.

I fully expect the Patriots to beat the Jets this weekend, but if they don't, I won't treat it as a disaster, it's just another exercise to help improve the team.
I guess it depends on you view the season overall. Many people expect this team to be a playoff team given the amount of money spent in the off-season, the draft and getting Jones as our QB. If that is the expectation then a loss to the Jets is absolutely devastating as it would be 2 division losses to start the season to 2 teams we were expected to beat. The division is all but lost at that point and the chances of making the playoffs at 0-2 are 12 percent.

But if the expectation is to see this team and Mac develop then I agree a loss is nothing to panic about at all. It may end up being a rough season record-wise but watching the team come together and Mac hopefully continue to progress will be satisfying.

Let's be honest here: it's going to be hard for the Pats to make waves in January this year. 25 new players, rookie QB...

Hoping for a wildcard, think 10-7 is doable, even 11-6.

I don't see them having much chance in the division if they lose this week. 0-2 against the weaker 2 of the 3 opponents is tough. But yes, this is about getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes