PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pregame Thread- Pats @ Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folk has to be added to the 53 next week or won’t be able to kick in the Saints game. There must be some procedural reason for not signing Folk to the 53 this week, I’m guessing.

I was under the impression the Pats could get additional standard elevations for veterans like Folk by just signing them to the 53, terminating their contracts, and resigning them to the PS. If anyone else thought that, a quick look-see at the CBA (page 195) shows that they can’t. A player is limited to 2 standard elevations a year per team.

Folk has to be added to the 53 next week or won’t be able to kick in the Saints game. There must be some procedural reason for not signing Folk to the 53 this week, I’m guessing.

I was under the impression the Pats could get additional standard elevations for veterans like Folk by just signing them to the 53, terminating their contracts, and resigning them to the PS. If anyone else thought that, a quick look-see at the CBA (page 195) shows that they can’t. A player is limited to 2 standard elevations a year per team.
My guess is having him be a PS elevation lets them keep an additional player for depth at another position. Why use one of your 53 spots on a kicker when you can use it on a DB and get your kicker for free with a PS elevation. That goes away next week but may as well use it while you can, within reason - the risk of someone else poaching Folk is ever-present. But I don't think most teams are in "give up on our kicker" mode after 1 week. By week 3 or 4, though, teams would probably be more likely to be giving him a buzz. Barring someone with a hurt kicker of course.

First two are on IR, Dalton is a starter. Trubisky, lol.

Hoyer rules.
Hoyer isn’t/was never a better QB than any of those guys. I don’t give a damn if he’s a Patriot or not.

Hoyer isn’t/was never a better QB than any of those guys. I don’t give a damn if he’s a Patriot or not.
Then why is he on the team?

He is cheap - knows the Patriots system - and a good mentor for Mac Jones. Also he could fill in and still win a game - depending on the situation.

Hoyer is also highly valuable on the scout team…if that’s one of his roles this year.

He is cheap - knows the Patriots system - and a good mentor for Mac Jones. Also he could fill in and still win a game - depending on the situation.
Yes to all those but if Mac gets hurt then Hoyer will be the QB. Is that the correct decision? If so, then he might as well be the best backup QB in the league because that's all we got.

Because those other guys are currently on other teams, Hoyer mastered our system & is a mentor for Mac. My statement was an isolated statement…As a QB (not a NE QB) Hoyer IS NOT better than Trubisky, Dalton or Fitz. Not then, not now or ever.

My guess is having him be a PS elevation lets them keep an additional player for depth at another position. Why use one of your 53 spots on a kicker when you can use it on a DB and get your kicker for free with a PS elevation. That goes away next week but may as well use it while you can, within reason - the risk of someone else poaching Folk is ever-present. But I don't think most teams are in "give up on our kicker" mode after 1 week. By week 3 or 4, though, teams would probably be more likely to be giving him a buzz. Barring someone with a hurt kicker of course.
Except that we went with a 52 man roster last week, and will likely do so again.

They need to send a scout to check out this guy

Except that we went with a 52 man roster last week, and will likely do so again.
Yeah I was making an assumption they'd fill that slot, but seems like they might not? So I'm not totally sure what their thought process is.

Hope Jonnu can play.

I think Bedard made an interesting comment on this. He thought the best overall OL, talent wise, was Wynn, Karras, Andrews Mason, and Owenu. However for THIS Game, he felt the Pats SHOULD go with Wynn, Owenu, Andrews, Mason, and Durant for the following reasons.

1. He felt the strength of the Jets DL was in the middle, and the edge rushers weren't as much of threat. Karras, is OK, but relatively much smaller and not as strong as Owenu. He's also not as good a puller, and the Pats pulled their G's a lot this past game.

2. Continuity. Owenu has played the entire TC at LG, and while he might have been good last year when he played RT, moving him there now for just a game or two would disrupt the left side and Owenu's development at LG. Also playing RT with just 4 practices, makes his success problematical.

3. If Brown's absence was looked at as long term, then the Owenu move would make more sense. But it seems this will be short term, so it would be best to make the move that causes the least disruption

4. Surprisingly Durant graded out well in his abbreviated stint on the field. I think I read 18 snaps? or something like that.
Listening to Bedard is akin to grinding glass into your own ears.

going to lock thread as the gdt is now up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back