PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pregame Thread- Pats @ Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakdown time!

Jets Offense

QB - So, there is this guy named Zach Wilson, maybe you heard of him? Highly drafted prospect, solid preseason, and of course; he has a very cute mom, which I have mentioned before. Just to be clear, no, I don't have a MILF fetish. It's just something I feel the needs to noted. His week 1 play had it's ups and downs. A lot of people will mention how he 'settled down' in the second half. I think that is overblown. His play was fairly consistent throughout with no huge sudden uptick, though I would agree his 2nd half was better. Still, it was a mostly unremarkable game for a rookie with good but raw talent. He had a number of eye popping plays but too often did a number of the little things wrong or missed chances at some gimmies. I expect much of the same this week. Which has it's good and bad points. Overall, if we lose this game it won't be because of Wilson taking over in all likelihood. He hangs on way too long trying make a play. Many of those sacks were on him,

WR - Not a great group, as of now. The Jets have spent a lot of draft capital on WR in the last 2 seasons, without a ton to show for it yet. Mims (2nd year) and Moore (R) are not yet producing the way the Jets hoped. Mims had that one big play last game, but was mostly silent. Both are names are worth watching, but i'd be surprised if the light suddenly went on for either this week judging from how it went last week. Crowder adds some much needed veteran experience and is solid (assuming he plays), but subpar #2 option. Cole might be back this week to give them a more reliable depth option, but nothing special. Of course, Corey Davis is the headliner here and should be the focus. More on that later.

TE - They have this guy named Kroft, nothing special and no one else is worth noting. Moving on.

OL - Losing Becton is a blow, the young player is one of the bright spots for this team. Morgan Moses has experience as the back up and they could do much worse. He's almost certainly better than their other tackle George Fant, who is average on his best days usually. It surprises me they can't find a way to get both on the field. McGovern at Center has had some ups but mostly downs in his career as a starter. Roten is an okay guard. Nothing special but not a disaster. The rookie Ver-Tucker (14th overall) had a good showing and seems solid, but not amazing, maybe he'll become a very good guard in the near future. Generally this OL unit is below average from everything I can tell. Not special, but not the worse we'll face. There are no obvious weak spots, besides maybe Fant, but no single player who is a guy they can completely lean on or completely count on.

RB - They apparently have running backs. But the evidence on the field says otherwise. Coleman doesn't have it anymore. Carter was underwhelming in limited action his first game. Ty Johnson hasn't posted any significant numbers as of yet. None of them are much of a threat to catch the ball. So this group offers little as far as big play potential in any aspect.

Overall offense - Not a good group to say the least. No running game. The Pass catching options are limited and not particularly special, and the OL isn't near good enough to compensate. Any QB would have issues with this team. But Wilson often made a bad situation worse last game with negative plays. This is a pretty straight forward game plan. Make someone besides Davis beat you, and if you can give some attention to Crowder while forcing that, all the better. That's it. Nothing complex. Bill will know this too. There will be chances to get pressure. I wonder how our LB core will be. Van Noy might be out and Hightower might be limpy, but I don't think that will matter a ton this game as they don't have good players that can abuse that potential weakness anyway. They will live and die based on the WR core. And prey to the WR gods that Mims can have a huge game. The Panther's D isn't good, and they made things very hard on this group. Even with our D as it is now, we can and should do better. No excuses for this offense to sniff anything above 17. Hell, that would be an accomplishment.

Jets Defense

DL - Quinnen Williams, Franklin-Meyers, Huff, Fatukasi, Rankins, Shepard, Ward - I won't lie. I had to look nearly all those names up. Which usually isn't a good sign for your DL. Williams is the best player in this group and It's not close. Sadly for them he is only pretty damn good and not great. He can't ruin your day by himself and a double team or just a little constant help can slow him down a good amount. Meyers is a solid player who will rotate on you. Inside, outside. Does it all. He get some pressure and holds up well. A player any team would like to have, but he doesn't take over games. The clear #2 man. Huff is a 2nd year player they hope turns into a good option. Too soon to know but he seems to be doing okay. Farukasi does well in his role. Which is being a good point of attack guy. Rankins is meh and no one else is worth a write up. Overall for a lot of little known names (to me anyway) they have a solid group, but more based on run stopping than pass rushing. Losing Carl Lawson was a big hit for them in that regard. He was going to give them that aspect and really balance out this group. Big loss for them.

LB - Mosley is the headliner, but he wasn't great last game. With nearly 2 years of being injured/away from the game you wonder how effective he will be in this one. Worth watching. Phillips played a ton of snaps last game, I couldn't find much about him. A young guy they like who was kind of thrust into the spot when Sherwood went down (who is still doubtful). Probably not very good though as he's barely seen the field before that. Shaq Lawson is a more than solid LB. Nasirildeen is a 6th round rookie who played a lot, and didn't look great. Undersized guy. Injuries in this spot have forced them to mess with things a lot. Lawson is definitely an edge guy who rotated OLB/DE and so can't really be a full timer to help fill in for all the snaps. If Mosley continues to have issues, which he might, this could be a huge weakness.

CB - Hall, Echols, Carter and co. Hall is their #1 and a 2nd year player. He wasn't great last year and this year they are hoping he can step up. Frankly I didn't see a huge jump, but it's only one game. Echols is a rookie, so he probably will have some big issues this year, and particularly this game. Carter is another rookie. Same issues. Gruidry saw limited action last year and is the 4th guy. I don't know how this unit can be any good, though little evidence exist to say it is bad, mostly cause everyone is so young with so little tape. They did make Darnold look pretty good though. So that is likely not a great sign for them.

S - Maye, Colbert, Redwine - Maye is a baller. We all know that. A big injury to Joyner hurt them here. Colbert is a JAG and Redwine is the same. Nothing else to say.

Overall Defense - This group was pretty horrible last year and they tried to add some life to it in free agency, which I think they did to a degree. But Injuries have really hit them hard here. the front is actually pretty decent at the line. But the back end looks to be a complete dumpster fire that Maye can't possibly hold together by himself. The LBs are to be determined. Is Mosley is slow to get back into form it could be something to attack. Assuming our OL holds up, which is should, there isn't much their D can do to stop our passing attack, though our run game may be ineffective.

It is hard to see how we lose this on paper. At this point I have the Pats comfortably winning, with us being a little pass heavy. 24-13

Last edited:
Rham yes. Harris? Hell no!!! Harris had a superb game 23/100. Because Rham was benched for his matador blocking and fumble,Harris was gassed at end of game when he fumbled. Yes it hurt the team. But no he has rarely fumbled. JJ Taylor will be active along with Harris and White.
Rham can sit his rookie arse down. Harris is probably the Pats best offensive player and he has rarely made mistakes. Rham is an unproven rookie who sucked last week. I have hopes for him but he needs to buckle down.
Welp, you can guess and I can guess and either way, there will be "another reason for it." It was semi-tongue-in-cheek, but that said, you heard it here first. Devil's advocate, Harris doesn't fumble. What happens?

On the off chance that Harris and Dre are both on punishment, get your "oh this was always going to be the week for Taylor to shine" logic lined up.

Last edited:
Guess Nordin caught the Foxborough flu.
Yeah as much as I scoff at people throwing the "Foxboro Flu" term around, this is 100% a textbook case of it. This allows them to stash him for however long they want, elevate Folk one more time and then sign him to the 53 (or just put him on the 53 this week) and then if Folk falters they can re-activate Nordin any time. If Folk is fine all year, really no reason to re-activate Nordin, let him work on his craft all season and offseason and see how things look next year. All the while, he's protected from being poached.

been thinkin'

I'm wondering since KVN is out and High might be dinged that the Pats roll out something more like 4 DLmen, I LB and 6 DB's for this game with Duggar and Phillips moving up to the 2nd level depending on the formation. The Jets run game seems pretty anemic and our Big DL rotation might just be able to handle that responsibility.

Now I haven't looked at the Miami game again since watch it last Sunday, but correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like much of the most successful of Miami's pressures came when they sent S's in on the rush, So why shouldn't we take a page out of that book and so something similar (or just alike) Better to have your better athletes chasing around one of THEIR better athletes.

Now while they won't make you forget KC's WR's, outside of their QB, their WR's are the strength of the offense. They've spend a lot of draft capital on this position over the past 2 years so while they might not be household names as yet, they are great athletes. Time will tell if that translates into being great WR's. But the position group DOES need to be respected.

I'm wondering if the Pats might try something like this sometimes.. Keep Devin and Phillips as 2 deep S. Match up JJWilliams, JC, JJ, and Dugger nn a Tight match up Man coverage underneath Let the LB take the RB or spy the QB, and rush 4 and thinking your DL can beat their OL. The Jets will work all week trying to get Wilson to make quicker decisions and not hold onto the ball as long as he did last week. So reading that Tweet about the Pats working all week against slant and quick outs was music to my ears

There is a lot you can do within this basic alignment. Having the ability to have five underneath coverage (either man or zone) Makes it very hard to throw quick throws underneath. In fact the only real way to attack this is to send 3 deep routes (2 outside and one up the seam forcing the 2 S's to have to pick their poison and hope the QB reads the correct route and the receiver beats the underneath defender. That's why its important to disguise what your doing so they don't run that pattern.

You can also do a wide variety of blitzes from this alignment and move the 2nd S up sometimes to the robber position when a formation dictates as certain tendency and jump a route

Of course all this sh!t can be thrown out the window if we don't prove we can stop the run consistently early on and THAT includes controlling Wilson on RPO's and scrambles.

Just a thought.

Welp, you can guess and I can guess and either way, there will be "another reason for it." It was semi-tongue-in-cheek, but that said, you heard it here first. Devil's advocate, Harris doesn't fumble. What happens?

On the off chance that Harris and Dre are both on punishment, get your "oh this was always going to be the week for Taylor to shine" logic lined up.
Cmon man ,that makes no sense. Pats would be left with no rb capable of running inside. Are you trying to kill Mac Jones? How do you run play action? Taylor will be active this week but so will Harris.

zach wilson got hit 33 times last week and was sacked 5 times. 33 times! our front seven should have a field day.

Unless Bill approved this, not sure why JC would divulge this. He also bad mouthed Tua and spoke about strategy last week. He needs to STFU.

I miss Gilmore, a class act.

It’s Little Stevie’s crew now.

Makes sense, they could only activate him twice anyway and obviously you need a second QB on the roster if Mac gets hurt or needs a play off or something. As I said in a prior post, Folk will get elevated once more and then get signed to the 53 next week. They'll probably use their other elevation on a DB or OL (Bryant or Ferentz?) though they also have an open roster spot too. They could fill it or just leave it open for next week for Folk, and the week after that Harry is coming back.

It is a must win it's a divisional game and we already 0-1 in that category. If it wasn't a divisional game I'd say otherwise

This is wrong- as a vested vet, he's not subject to waivers until after the trade deadline.
Yup, this is correct. The real issue is that Field Yates has it wrong - you’re only allowed to elevate guys off the practice squad 2 times, period. Can’t do a 3rd time at all. If we want Folk playing in week 3, we need to sign him to the 53 by Saturday next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back