PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think the Patriots have any claim to the injury card? Every team has injuries, so as they get players back, so does their competition.

But overall, their injuries are minimal compared to other teams. They’ve been without Trent Brown, who has a long injury history (hence the cheap acquisition) and was never on the list of most critical players of 2021. They’ve been without a few others but no game changers. White was a big loss, but he’s a $2.5M player. He’s a solid guy but not a star…it’s mainly the lack of depth that makes it sting more.

They just played a Saints team missing numerous starters, and their pro bowl LT Armstead went down in the first quarter. The Jets were missing their LT too. The Bucs were missing their CB1, CB2, CB3, and lost their FS1 on the last drive, plus Gronkowski and Bernard.

Who are they going to get get back that’s going to make them a playoff level team?

The Patriots are as healthy as any team in the league. To think they need to have 100% health is unrealistic. As some guys heal up, others will get hurt. But we’re not looking at anything close to a team derailed by significantly bad injury luck.

Fair points. I was looking at Trent Brown, counting Gilmore, James White... Those aren't a lot of injuries, aren't super stars and don't cost much towards the cap. However, that is the starting left tackle, all pro-CB1 who changes the defense, and our most experienced back who is also excellent in the passing game. It's not a lot of injuries, but they've been key nonetheless.
The team isn't living up to pre-season expectations in the run game or on defense, just trying to make some guesses as to why.

With a guy like Mills starting and Cam still not having a job... tells you what other teams think of Cam.
Why are you still obsessed by Cam ?

This is all stuff that will be more encouraging if we're not playing 80% backups on the OL. Right now I'm concerned that knowing what the defense is going to do is secondary to being able to block guys in basic situations.

Van Noy has gone from a throat injury to a groin injury.

Someone finish that joke for me, please.
He must have pulled a Marilyn Manson and had one of his ribs removed so he could… you know.

Reiss thinks Jamie Collins will play.

Reiss thinks Jamie Collins will play.

It wouldn't surprise me. He wasn't released due to injury, so he should still be in reasonable football shape, and he's had two prior stints in this defense before. So long as there are no Covid protocol holdups because he's traveling from out of state or something, I'd expect him to at least be out there for a part time role.

-9.5 is kind of an insane line for a 1-3 team on the road vs anyone with possibly 3 OL out. I'd set this as -3.5 to be honest..

getting everyone ready for Thursday:

The potential outcomes for the OL this week are kind of ridiculous. Anywhere from "Onwenu and Wynn are vaccinated and had enough negative tests so they're back, and also Trent Brown comes back finally, and Mason is fine, so the full true starting OL is really finally playing" to "Onwenu and Wynn are unvaccinated so they can't play due to 10 day rule, and also Brown is still hurt, and also Mason is hurt and doesn't play, so it's literally Andrews and 4 backups out there" is on the table.

The potential outcomes for the OL this week are kind of ridiculous. Anywhere from "Onwenu and Wynn are vaccinated and had enough negative tests so they're back, and also Trent Brown comes back finally, and Mason is fine, so the full true starting OL is really finally playing" to "Onwenu and Wynn are unvaccinated so they can't play due to 10 day rule, and also Brown is still hurt, and also Mason is hurt and doesn't play, so it's literally Andrews and 4 backups out there" is on the table.
Texans should just send the kitchen sink if the nightmare scenario really unfolds.

-9.5 is kind of an insane line for a 1-3 team on the road vs anyone with possibly 3 OL out. I'd set this as -3.5 to be honest..
9.5 says more about the Texans than it does about the Pats.

Even with a banged up OL I expect Pats to cover with plenty of room to spare. Texans are that bad. I can't see how they score double digits in this one.

Starting to get a little nervous about this one with our O-line situation.

looks like we're getting the A team for this week ;)

I loved James Lofton as a player, and still like him as an analyst... a dam sight better than Schlereth & others, that's for sure...

Haven't heard enough of Catalon to form an opinion; but he's gotta be better than Ian Eagle right?

And all bubble-headed, casting-couch sideline bimbos are less than useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe