PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So were the Bucs...

I don't have an answer especially now that the entire left side of the line also now needs replacement due to COVID. I'm okay with Karras at LG, but now LT is a massive question as it remains unlikely for a return of Trent Brown on either side. Likely Cajuste and Herron.

Do we just have Meyers run the wildcat to protect Jones from getting killed? (I'm kidding, but yeesh...)

With the Texans being one of the worst run defense teams in the league giving up 137 yards per game, I think we have to just run it down their throats so that Mac doesn't get killed in this one.

So were the Bucs...

I don't have an answer especially now that the entire left side of the line also now needs replacement due to COVID. I'm okay with Karras at LG, but now LT is a massive question as it remains unlikely for a return of Trent Brown on either side. Likely Cajuste and Herron.

Do we just have Meyers run the wildcat to protect Jones from getting killed? (I'm kidding, but yeesh...)
Found an espn stat called win rate on pass rush. Texans are 20th. Sounds about right.

Pats are finding out what happens when they don’t have Brady to get the ball out really fast and cover any deficiencies up front.

I think we have to just run it down their throats so that Mac doesn't get killed in this one.
I'm not confident they can do that even against a poor run defense because it's more about consistency - sure, run four times successfully, get to the 40 yard line, but then inevitable holding penalty or false start, third and long, punt.

When fully healthy and STARTING to demonstrate some measure of skill cohesiveness after the last game I'd be right there with you; but add in an entirely new left side...and likely not having Brown back...I cant share that optimism. What was likely a more "Jets" type game MIGHT be much more difficult.

C'mon defense we need some offense from you this coming week!

getting everyone ready for Wednesday......

No game is a gimme anymore. But that said, I can't imagine us losing this one if Mills remains at QB, and we don't sustain more injuries or bullsh*t Covid listers. Hoping we win, when's the last time the Pats were undefeated on the road and winless at home 5 games in to the season?
I really want to see an intention to win in the run game, and BB to stop dog-housing his young guys for A SINGLE fumble early in the season.
We need to have JJ in the White role, not Old Man Bolden

Texans are 28th in offense DVOA and 30th in defense. They’re terrible. Pats should wipe the floor with this team if they have any kind of playoff aspirations.
We all need to stop talking playoffs. There's no chance this year, nor should there be. Why build false expectations? This is a total rebuild year, no matter what people say. Half the team is new, including a rookie QB and new pass catchers. This will take some time. Enjoy the ride, and the hope of a young team to build with.

Losing to the Texans should be a fireable offense

We all need to stop talking playoffs. There's no chance this year, nor should there be. Why build false expectations? This is a total rebuild year, no matter what people say. Half the team is new, including a rookie QB and new pass catchers. This will take some time. Enjoy the ride, and the hope of a young team to build with.
I think our window could begin to open next year if all goes well. Hopefully Mac takes that second year leap.

Either way - if we lose to a team like the Texans we have a lot more problems than we think we do.

Because they're not false yet, and there's nothing wrong with hoping for something and then actually processing disappointment instead of trying to avoid it at all costs.

Injuries are always the biggest and most influential factor in a season. "If" they can get healthy soon, I see no reason to fold up the tent on playoff hopes yet. It starts with a win this weekend, then getting some people back next week. If they can get a few wins here and there while becoming a team, they could go 4-0 after the bye to end the season. This is optimistic, but not outlandish. Who saw the 2001 season happening the way it did? There is precedent.

Injuries are always the biggest and most influential factor in a season. "If" they can get healthy soon, I see no reason to fold up the tent on playoff hopes yet. It starts with a win this weekend, then getting some people back next week. If they can get a few wins here and there while becoming a team, they could go 4-0 after the bye to end the season. This is optimistic, but not outlandish. Who saw the 2001 season happening the way it did? There is precedent.
Pats beat the Texans, which they should, they get to 2-3 overall and 2-1 vs AFC. I'm not expecting playoffs but I still think a winning season at 9-8 is achievable.

Beat Houston then they need 7 wins in their last 12 to have a winning season. I'm sure they can beat the Jets and Jax. Then they'll need 5 more wins in this group: Bills X 2, Dolphins, Chargers, Cowboys, Browns, Panthers, Falcons, Titans, Colts. It's not a cake schedule but other than the Bills games it's not a daunting one either.

Do you really think the Patriots have any claim to the injury card? Every team has injuries, so as they get players back, so does their competition.

But overall, their injuries are minimal compared to other teams. They’ve been without Trent Brown, who has a long injury history (hence the cheap acquisition) and was never on the list of most critical players of 2021. They’ve been without a few others but no game changers. White was a big loss, but he’s a $2.5M player. He’s a solid guy but not a star…it’s mainly the lack of depth that makes it sting more.

They just played a Saints team missing numerous starters, and their pro bowl LT Armstead went down in the first quarter. The Jets were missing their LT too. The Bucs were missing their CB1, CB2, CB3, and lost their FS1 on the last drive, plus Gronkowski and Bernard.

Who are they going to get get back that’s going to make them a playoff level team?

The Patriots are as healthy as any team in the league. To think they need to have 100% health is unrealistic. As some guys heal up, others will get hurt. But we’re not looking at anything close to a team derailed by significantly bad injury luck.

Playoff hopes were already over after the week 1 loss to Miami imo, given how the AFC West and AFC North teams look (2-3 teams each from those divisions)

I'm not as optimistic as y'all.

Tampa's secondary was depleted, and their offense struggled... yet all we could do was muster 17 points. We only scored 16 against a Miami team that has been lit up by other teams.

And our defense is good, but they can still be had. Matthew Judon is literally carrying our front 7, dear god if he gets hurt.

I think we should still win Houston, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game is closer than we think.

Comments:

1.) Not sure we can run the ball with the left side of our OL likely to miss this game. Sure...we could run it behind Andrews/Mason...but the D will know it's coming.

2.) Gilmore's release doesn't help us....right now. Hope we get a pick ...I don't care if it is a 5 or a 6....get something... EDIT: We got a 2023 6th...at least he didn't go to an AFC contender....

3.) Mills looked bad on Sunday, but he played OK the game before. Hard to say which version we will see, but yes....we need to pressure the kid as much as we can and clamp down on Cookie. Also, watch out for Ingram/Lindsay...those guys are sneaky good...

4.) The Texan D might be weak vs. the run...but can we attack them? Looking like another 35+ attempt game for Mac. It is amazing how much we are riding on his arm through 4 weeks....

5.) Playoffs are still within reach. The Patriots are 1-3, but with 2 NFC losses. We are still 1-1 in the conference. The Chargers/Bengals are the #1/#2 seeds right now. The AFC North and West will beat each other up...the AFC South is likely to only produce two competitive teams (Titans and Colts)...one of which we can finish ahead of. So, even if we finish 2nd in the AFC East...we just need to finish better than the 3rd place teams in the AFC North/West for the final 7th spot. Still A LOT of football to be played....and 1-3 isn't what it used to be...it's kinda like 1-2 now with the 17 game schedule...and an additional NFC game on the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back