PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Texans

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Honestly I thought it was a fun win to watch. Unless you are entitled and expect an easy win, that was a great win as a fan.
I don't think it makes me "entitled" to point out that the game was hard to watch as a fan. The defense played poorly, I can't remember a season where we consistently fumbled the ball like this, and the offensive play calling for most of the game was atrocious.

But yeah, pointing out things were tough makes me entitled. Sure thing, pal. No wonder I stopped coming here.

When was the last time the receivers on the Patriots got seperation? As I said before, this is the best group of pass catchers we have had in awhile.

but still a subpar group, we have no number 1 receiver and everybody miscast because of this. Except for agular, we have no deep speed.

we are finally seeing Henry starting to get it with his route running. But Smith continues to look lost, slow and confused.

For those of you like @amfootball who throw that Mac Jones can't take a deep ball, watch this...it's from Alabama last year but it's clear he has the strength and vision to throw the ball downfield. He just needs receivers and good protection. Right now his best receivers are Bourne and Meyers, who would have been 3rd or 4th receivers if they were on last year's Alabama team.

i am sure his arm strength can improve but this is deja vu from 2001

Q: Where does he fall in the parameters for arm strength to be a successful NFL quarterback?

BB:
I think his arm is good.

Q: Obviously he doesn't have a cannon and a lot of guys who do have cannons couldn't hit the side of a barn, but ...

BB:
I don't think we are talking about John Elway here, but I don't know how many of those there are. I think he has got an NFL arm; he has got a good NFL arm.

Every Qb can throw the ball far. lol NFl is a different animal. All QB's are good in college and can do things in college. Thing is, in the NFL, you are not going to have that perfect stuff like that all the time, sometimes you have to make plays anyway.
Agreed, but tough to throw bombs when you have no time. You need time for deep pass patterns to develop. He hasn’t had that. Some of the deep throws in that video, he threw into small windows, but he had the time to do so. Like I said, he doesn’t have a cannon, but he also doesn’t have a weak arm. There is video evidence he can throw the deep ball.

Also, let’s look at the play calling, how many deep patterns have they called. My thoughts are he’s being handcuffed. As evidenced by the horrible play calling in the red zone. One time they let him throw, he throws a beautiful ball to Henry for a TD.

Agreed, but tough to throw bombs when you have no time. You need time for deep pass patterns to develop. He hasn’t had that. Some of the deep throws in that video, he threw into small windows, but he had the time to do so. Like I said, he doesn’t have a cannon, but he also doesn’t have a weak arm. There is video evidence he can throw the deep ball.

Also, let’s look at the play calling, how many deep patterns have they called. My thoughts are he’s being handcuffed. As evidenced by the horrible play calling in the red zone. One time they let him throw, he throws a beautiful ball to Henry for a TD.
QB's that throw long or throw short or whatever, its really about two things. One deep accuracy, and two, having receivers that can go deep. Protection as well, but he has had protection at times and still went with the same routine. I mean he has attempted long throws this year so he had time on those. Patriots are not really one of those wing it teams. Brady was said not to be able to throw deep and he leads the league the last two years in deep throws at 44 years old.

Thing is though, at some point, you need to get good at those 20 yarders. I dont care about the 40 yard bombs that QB's throw like once a game. You need to have that 15-20 range, that is what he is going to have to get. That wins you games, and it scores points. Right now the pats are just not scoring a lot of points. So I do not really care if he bombs it down the field 50 yards, but we will need more than the 5 yard out 90 percent of the time.

I don't think it makes me "entitled" to point out that the game was hard to watch as a fan. The defense played poorly, I can't remember a season where we consistently fumbled the ball like this, and the offensive play calling for most of the game was atrocious.

But yeah, pointing out things were tough makes me entitled. Sure thing, pal. No wonder I stopped coming here.
They've added an ignore feature. Makes it easier

Complaining about a win is being entitled. You may or may not be, but that isn’t my fault

Pats RB group has been the big issue between production and fumbles. I am sure BB didnt think the RBs would be one his biggest headaches this season.

Have you ever looked at the performance of teams McDaniels has coached without Tom Brady?
There's a Brady sub forum around here somewhere. Also, there are Tampa Bay boards.

The evidence is looking at good players drafted exactly from 2009-2012, and looking at the pathetic drafts from 2013-2019 and 2005-2008. The evidence is in the list of players drafted and the year it took place. It tells an extremely clear story. Too many ohio roommate morons involved in the front office = bad talent acquisition for BB.

Got it, so no real evidence. Adding O’Brien’s name is lol funny, given his performance as the de facto GM of the Texans.

i am sure his arm strength can improve but this is deja vu from 2001

Wow, tx for that. Blast from the past. I mean heck, that's John Elway you're talking about... he won 2 super bowls!

As everyone knows, I am a huge Mac fan, but her was way too reckless today and was very, very lucky he did not throw 2-4 INTs today. He got away with it this time, but that has got to stop.

oh god. all the posters liking the post know nothing about that game. Probably didn’t even start watching the Patriots then lol

that game featured a prime Terry Glenn (who is 100x more talented than any wide receiver this Patriots team has) going off

brady also threw a few 30-40 yard DIMES that I haven’t even seen mac attempt to throw one time

Can Mac throw the ball downfield? Why are the Patriots coaches scared
That 2001 season was highlighted by the dink and dunk offense. Mac threw a 30+ yard dime to Meyers that was subsequently dropped in this game.

:D
Got it, so no real evidence. Adding O’Brien’s name is lol funny, given his performance as the de facto GM of the Texans.

O'Brien isn't a good GM but those disaster trades had conman Easterby written all over them.

As a coach? Yes please get O'Brien back here asap after his year at Alabama

As everyone knows, I am a huge Mac fan, but her was way too reckless today and was very, very lucky he did not throw 2-4 INTs today. He got away with it this time, but that has got to stop.

He should play the way he was playing the first 2 games and ignore the crappy oc coaching this month telling him he "missed" open guys down the field.

This is funny

It does Feel like Mac is being held back, somehow
Good sign that so many of us feel that waay, given the
young man is a rook with 5 games played..
Good times.

But it is still funny

Josh, did Mac's TD throw convince you to
allow Mac to make TD throws?

1633919526675.png

Has anyone complaining about Mac Jones watched any of the other rookies this year? He's arguably playing the best of all of them.

Fields and Lance barely look like NFL players yet
That's probably true but I've got to believe Mills had the best game of any rookie this season. These are not typical rookie stats.

SmartSelect_20211010-163713_Sports.jpg

That's probably true but I've got to believe Mills had the best game of any rookie this season. These are not typical rookie stats.

View attachment 36492

i tend to think mills benefited greatly from some defensive break downs and ubber aggressive play calling!

and while I tip my cap to him, I am still thankful we have jones,

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back