PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Texans

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Has anyone complaining about Mac Jones watched any of the other rookies this year? He's arguably playing the best of all of them.

Fields and Lance barely look like NFL players yet
Not " arguably". He's been the best rookie qb by far.
I think when the smoke clears in a couple years he'll be what I thought: the 2nd best qb in that draft behind Lawrence.
Thats not a knock on Mac. I think we got a franchise qb who'll win some playoff games down the road. Possibly much much more. But Lawrence has Mahomes-level potential. Unless he gets totally destroyed by that joke of a franchise.
No matter how you slice it,Mac was a steal in this draft

Ignore posters with posts that are 95% negative. Filters out the haters and the feed is rather enjoyable.
Good advice

On the spectrum of "gift-wrapping" wins, where does 'fumbling away the ball at your opponent's 1/4 yard-line', fall? :whistle:

Texans appreciated the pats generosity so much they returned the gifts tenfold.to the pats which includes missed Field goals and blocking their own punt.

Not " arguably". He's been the best rookie qb by far.
I think when the smoke clears in a couple years he'll be what I thought: the 2nd best qb in that draft behind Lawrence.
Thats not a knock on Mac. I think we got a franchise qb who'll win some playoff games down the road. Possibly much much more. But Lawrence has Mahomes-level potential. Unless he gets totally destroyed by that joke of a franchise.
No matter how you slice it,Mac was a steal in this draft
Drafting Mac > Justin Fields + the first round pick it would have cost to move up. Don’t think it’s too early to say that.

unknown.png

I think they got the Harris fumble correct. I paused the video as quickly as possible after the punch occurred; the ball was loose at this point in the above frame.

I think it's safe to assume that the Texans' defender's hand punching the football (and therefore the football itself) is in front of that same Texans' defenders own right foot, the front of which is not across the plane of the endzone.

I still don't like the lack of clear communication and replay angles from the league/officials, because they could've done their due diligence and used this angle (and perhaps other camera angles) to make a compelling case that it was in fact a fumble.

In the end, I think they got it right. I'm glad this didn't cost us the game.

Jones has far exceeded any and all expectations I had for him at the beginning of this year.

he has mastered the pre and snap calls and post snap reads, He is at his best when we spread out the field and let him read the defense.

Asking jones to make plays downfield with this collection of receivers is a mistake snd where Jones gets into trouble.

unknown.png

I think they got the Harris fumble correct. I paused the video as quickly as possible after the punch occurred; the ball was loose at this point in the above frame.

I think it's safe to assume that the Texans' defender's hand punching the football (and therefore the football itself) is in front of that same Texans' defenders own right foot, the front of which is not across the plane of the endzone.

I still don't like the lack of clear communication and replay angles from the league/officials, because they could've done their due diligence and used this angle (and perhaps other camera angles) to make a compelling case that it was in fact a fumble.

When I watched the play although they were calling it a punch, I didn’t see a punch, just a hit. It looked to me like he broke the plane but they never showed a good angle.
I don’t see the ball out in your still, but it’s probably impossible to determine from a still when possession was lost.

The Good
• Solid effort by the 4 backup OL filling in. A tough task regardless of opponent when there are that many moving pieces along the line. There were some struggles here and there, but they avoided the potential for disaster that was discussed going into the game.
• Judon. Speaks for itself, excellent off-season addition. Really changes the identity of the defensive front having an elite player like him and hope to see complementary players continue to step up as the year progresses and benefit from the attention that Judon will face.
• Hunter Henry. Made some tough catches with heavy contact. Not sure what the snaps breakdowns are, but hope to see him continue to be given more passing down opportunities over Smith when it is only one of them on the field.

The Bad
• DMac had some really bad angles and over pursued on some key plays for Houston. It’s one thing to seem a step slow with age, but a few of these seemed like mental lapses. Something to keep an eye on.
• Pass D was disappointing. Giving up a 3 TD-0 INT, 300+ yard performance to the caliber of QB they faced is inexcusable. Seemed to miss Mills out there and were rolling out a mixed bag of matchups.

Overall, not the most satisfying win, but EVERY win is still satisfying. A double digit second half comeback against any opponent is a feather in the cap. Hopefully can continue to build, get healthier, and progress.

Jones has far exceeded any and all expectations I had for him at the beginning of this year.

he has mastered the pre and snap calls and post snap reads, He is at his best when we spread out the field and let him read the defense.

Asking jones to make plays downfield with this collection of receivers is a mistake snd where Jones gets into trouble.
It’s a process. I think anyone looking at the way they have developed him, the plays they have given him, the change him gif his decision making who would say they are doing it wrong is a moron.

Cajuste had a very good block on Harris' TD run from the wildcat. He got leverage on the DL who was crashing down the line and sealed it off. Very well done. He's the silver helmet just right of Karras' #67 (the player who my mouse cursor is directly on top of). Jakob also had a nice block and Henry got to the second level, but Cajuste sealing the inside was really big on this play, because it took a bit to develop off-tackle and inside penetration would've wrecked it quickly.

unknown.png

For those of you like @amfootball who think that Mac Jones can't throw a deep ball, watch this...it's from Alabama last year but it's clear he has the strength and vision to throw the ball downfield. He just needs receivers and good protection. Right now his best receivers are Bourne and Meyers, who would have been 3rd or 4th receivers if they were on last year's Alabama team.

Last edited:
When I watched the play although they were calling it a punch, I didn’t see a punch, just a hit. It looked to me like he broke the plane but they never showed a good angle.
I don’t see the ball out in your still, but it’s probably impossible to determine from a still when possession was lost.

I'm relatively certain the ball is out in that frame. I slowed the video to 1/4 speed and pressed pause as soon as I saw the punch occur and the brown smudge of a football lurch backwards indicating loss of control.

For those of you like @amfootball who think that Mac Jones can't take a deep ball, watch this...it's from Alabama but it's clear he has the strength and vision to throw the ball downfield. He just needs receivers and good protection. Right now his best receivers are Bourne and Meyers, who would have been 3rd or 4th receivers if they were on last year's Alabama team.

You had to bring up a college game to show he can throw deep?

Just saw this in an article about the game. Jones is tied with Burrows for the most completions ever by an NFL rookie through 5 games with 135. I think he’s broken some completion % records through 5 games as well.

He’d doing that with subpar weapons (though I think the 4 FA additions have been solid) and a line that gives him little time to throw. Oddly enough, the backups did a better job today, albeit vs a bad team.

That’s just evidence that he can do it when given time and when receivers can get open deep. Show me evidence that the line has given him time to do so and the receivers have gotten open deep. He can certainly throw deep with good accuracy. When/if the line stabilizes, maybe he’ll get the opportunity to throw some bombs.

Just saw this in an article about the game. Jones is tied with Burrows for the most completions ever by an NFL rookie through 5 games with 135. I think he’s broken some completion % records through 5 games as well.

He’d doing that with subpar weapons (though I think the 4 FA additions have been solid) and a line that gives him little time to throw. Oddly enough, the backups did a better job today, albeit vs a bad team.
I need to see it vs a decent defense. That is the real test.

That’s just evidence that he can do it when given time and when receivers can get open deep. Show me evidence that the line has given him time to do so and the receivers have gotten open deep. He can certainly throw deep with good accuracy. When/if the line stabilizes, maybe he’ll get the opportunity to throw some bombs.
Every Qb can throw the ball far. lol NFl is a different animal. All QB's are good in college and can do things in college. Thing is, in the NFL, you are not going to have that perfect stuff like that all the time, sometimes you have to make plays anyway.

Considering that our offensive line sucks and the receivers can't get separation...yeah.

Considering that our offensive line sucks and the receivers can't get separation...yeah.
When was the last time the receivers on the Patriots got seperation? As I said before, this is the best group of pass catchers we have had in awhile.

unknown.png

Really was a close play. When I saw the highlights, it looked to me like he crossed the goal line before it was punched out, but barely. And that was from an across the goal line angle camera. Your pic is kinda on the side. It was very close. Either way, Harris has 2 costly fumbles so far inside the 25 or closer.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back