PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Steelers

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I thought the OL played much better, what a difference not having to account for Watt made. I loved the drive at the end of the game, the Pats did what the Phins did to them last week, salt the game away at the end by running the ball and killing the clock.

But let's take the advice of Mr. Wolf and not start.......just yet.

Gunner gifted them a TD, and Agholor made a spectacular catch, that could have easily been an INT.

I thought the defense played well, but the Pats haven't scored more than 17 points yet. For those of you that say that Baltimore let up 42 points to the Phins, they also scored 39.

That being said, I do think the Pats defense matches up well with Baltimore because the Pats can play 3 safeties. I only hope BB doesn't instruct the DL to not rush the passer and stay in their lanes, I hate when they do that and give Jackson all day to throw.

Defensive snaps against Pitt:

I think this is the kind of game that shows what they may see in Tavai. Only 14 defensive snaps, but he records a sack and plays 82% of the ST snaps. That's a Belichick type of guy to have as a 4th/5th LB on your depth chart.

Jakobi Meyers

19 targets
13 receptions
150 yards
92 passer rating

Nelson Agholor

11 targets
9 receptions
138 yards
1 TD
149.1 passer rating

Kendrick Bourne

4 targets
3 receptions
57 yards
116.7 rating

———————————————

DeVante Parker

4 targets
1 reception
9 yards
2 INTs
0 passer rating

Jonnu Smith

7 targets
3 receptions
33 yards
57.3 rating

It was obvious what the team’s best formation was last season with Meyers, Bourne, Agholor & Henry. It’s the same this season. Mac’s passer rating on the season is 83.2. It’s 100.2 to everyone besides Parker so far.

I thought the OL played much better, what a difference not having to account for Watt made. I loved the drive at the end of the game, the Pats did what the Phins did to them last week, salt the game away at the end by running the ball and killing the clock.

But let's take the advice of Mr. Wolf and not start.......just yet.

Gunner gifted them a TD, and Agholor made a spectacular catch, that could have easily been an INT.

I thought the defense played well, but the Pats haven't scored more than 17 points yet. For those of you that say that Baltimore let up 42 points to the Phins, they also scored 39.

That being said, I do think the Pats defense matches up well with Baltimore because the Pats can play 3 safeties. I only hope BB doesn't instruct the DL to not rush the passer and stay in their lanes, I hate when they do that and give Jackson all day to throw.

Gunner didn't gift them a TD. He gifted them possession; the offense still had to score, and they scored 7, to their credit.

Good summary by Phil Perry. Goes into how BB was more involved in the offense yesterday meeting with Mac:

I will not pretend I saw any footage of Jonnu Smith on the Titans but he apparently did SOME things. What in the **** happened to him because he is truly worthless.

On a side note, what happened to raekwon McMillan ? He was supposed to be the leader. Hardly see him .

And I heard Barmore played well, but don't see his name in stats columns . Is Barmore being as disruptive as what he was in camp or is he also having a subdued season? Wise seems to be in all plays.

On a side note, what happened to raekwon McMillan ? He was supposed to be the leader. Hardly see him .

And I heard Barmore played well, but don't see his name in stats columns . Is Barmore being as disruptive as what he was in camp or is he also having a subdued season? Wise seems to be in all plays.
Barmore occupying and freeing up guys to run free.

Also I believe Barmore had a sack

Last edited:
Hard not to improve off the miami game and nice win but we are the same average team as last year. Will beat bad teams and have no shot to stay with elite teams like Buffalo.

I will not pretend I saw any footage of Jonnu Smith on the Titans but he apparently did SOME things. What in the **** happened to him because he is truly worthless.
We just won yesterday, can we be a little happy? There is only one ball to go around. Most of the targets yesterday went to Meyers and Agholor. Jonnu will get his time this year, probably starting this coming week against the Ravens.

We just won yesterday, can we be a little happy? There is only one ball to go around. Most of the targets yesterday went to Meyers and Agholor. Jonnu will get his time this year, probably starting this coming week against the Ravens.

His real money (cap is fake) hit is exorbitant and it’s been a 20 game sample size now. It’s a waste because if real money hit is gonna be treated as a zero sum thing then he’s draining money out of someone who might actually contribute.

I did not read through this entire thread so this may have been discussed but a couple of things stood out for me:

1. No negative running plays. This is not an offense that can be successful facing a 2nd and 13 and I was encouraged by runs that even went for 3 yards when initial contact was at the line of scrimmage.

2. Holding and false start penalties. I know I'm stating the obvious but I believe they had one drive where they successfully gained a first down after a penalty. Penalties are going to happen particularly in road games but just a few less yesterday and I think they are scoring above 25 points easily.

A win is a win that said I don't know why people are comparing Mac to Bledsoe its' not even close Bledsoe's arm and ball placement is way better. Mac Better brush it up we ain't playing the Mitch Trubisky's of the world the next two weeks good QB play is going to be vital. That said DeVante Parker is drawing the best CB with also help over the top and that is springing other guys lose. We need more play-action that would help to spring DeVante not a huge fan of the shot gun formation most of the way. Also you don't run a WR like Parker on Streaks someone should tell BB that he Traded for Parker and not Hill or Waddle. :rolleyes: It's our Playcalling that is holding Parker back he's better than what he's shown so far.

I live in a Pittsburgh suburb too, married to a Steelers fan. My older son is a Steelers fan too, even though I’ve tried to make him a Pats fan, he just has too many Steelers fans around him. He was mad at me after the game haha
Father knows best.

The screen passes to Jonnu Smith are getting old even the Ray Charles can see that. Time to come up with a new play package for Jonnu.

Good summary by Phil Perry. Goes into how BB was more involved in the offense yesterday meeting with Mac:

Excellent article. Thanks for posting. I was wondering why Billy Yates was invisible. And, even allowing that you're going to have OC-by-committee, you can't ask your de facto OC to look after the O-line and the quarterback. That should have been obvious before the season, I'd have thought.

His real money (cap is fake) hit is exorbitant and it’s been a 20 game sample size now. It’s a waste because if real money hit is gonna be treated as a zero sum thing then he’s draining money out of someone who might actually contribute.
Totally agree on that goose egg O stat somebody is stealing $$$$. :rolleyes:

There's no parsing it, the coaches have to do a better job whipping this offense into shape and Mac has to play better.

Offensively if it's not missed blocking assignments last week it's penalties and more missed opportunities this one.

Mac is throwing some ill advised balls, especially on the run. He needs to stop, plant and throw.

And his deep balls leave something to be desired. And no, before someone says "weak arm," these aren't 50 yard throws we're talking about. It's the deep ball to Parker in the end zone last week that got intercepted, it's the deep ball that Agholor made a terrific play on yesterday.

Mac has to step into those throws and make his WR's go get it. I
There's no parsing it, the coaches have to do a better job whipping this offense into shape and Mac has to play better. If it's not missed blocks last week it's penalties and more missed opportunities this one.

Mac is throwing ill advised balls, especially on the run. He needs to stop, plant and throw.

And his deep balls leave something to be desired. And no, before someone says "weak arm," these aren't 50 yard throws we're talking about. It's the deep ball to Parker in the end zone last week that got intercepted, it's the deep ball that Agholor made a terrific play on yesterday.

Mac has to step into those throws and make his WR's go get it, instead of doing that he's throwing a 50/50 ball that his WR's have to slow down to make an attempt on. Parker and Agholor run 4.4 forties, they don't, and shouldn't have to slow down with real estate behind them. Mac should throw to points on the field, the back corner last week and in front of the end zone this week with Agholor. He needs to know better when to throw with finesse and when to throw with force. There's never a bad time to throw with fundamentals. He needs to stop being so finesse and keep making good pre snap adjustments. As bad as the offense has been, it hasn't been because of poor blocking, running or receiving.
instead of doing that he's throwing a 50/50 ball that his WR's have to slow down to make an attempt on. Parker and Agholor run 4.4 forties, they don't, and shouldn't have to slow down with real estate behind them. Mac should throw to points on the field, the back corner last week and in front of the end zone this week with Agholor. He needs to know better when to throw with finesse and when to throw with force. There's never a bad time to throw with fundamentals. He needs to stop being so finesse and keep making good pre snap adjustments. As bad as the offense has been, it hasn't been because of poor blocking, running or receiving.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back