PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Lions

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Then they better find one they do trust. They were 0 for 6 on fourth down attempts. Is their primary kicker injured?
I wasn’t talking about just Detroit yesterday. It seems like analytics have coaches going for it a lot more often than in the past.
Nevermind I read Marks observations article. Their #1 kicker was hurt.

More Nelson Agholor shade: On Rham's long run at the end of the first the Lions LB that makes the tackle has the angle on Rham after Rham loses some speed from cutting. If Agholor gets that block then Rham likely recovers his speed and takes it to the house. I can't tell if it was pretty lousy effort on Agholor's part or a cramp. After the play he flexes his right leg a couple times so maybe he pulled up lame.
I thought he risked a block in the back if he went all out, so he slowed up to impede the guy

Then they better find one they do trust. They were 0 for 6 on fourth down attempts. Is their primary kicker injured?
I wasn’t talking about just Detroit yesterday. It seems like analytics have coaches going for it a lot more often than in the past.
Prior to this game, they were like 85% on 4th down. So they played the odds

That trope about Brady’s favorite receiver being the open one hasn’t been true for 15 years.

Good point, things did change after Welker & Moss in 2007.

If he did not throw to Myers it was because he did not trust him and he wasn’t open.

I don’t see Brady passing up touchdowns to prove a point.

If he did not throw to Myers it was because he did not trust him, or he wasn’t open.

I’m not talking TDs. Totally agree with you on that. I don’t watch him much these days but he was definitely trying to find his trusted guys during his last several years here. And that’s not a complaint, just an observation.

I’m not talking TDs. Totally agree with you on that. I don’t watch him much these days but he was definitely trying to find his trusted guys during his last several years here. And that’s not a complaint, just an observation.
He definitely forced the ball to Gronk & Edelman in many important situations, but I also remember clutch Super Bowl catches by guys like Amendola & Hogan that were needed to win superbowls.

The way Barmore is double-teamed every down is making a huge impact on the rest of the defensive front. While the stat lines and pundits don't really recognize this, you know BB does. 4 on 5 becomes 3 on 3 - and that becomes Oh, no! Judon is not going to be isolated that easily!

Of course, the Lion's response was "Hey - put Hock on him all alone. That'll do it!"

BB said it had more to do with Wise Jr. having a great year across from Judon. Why do you think Judon's success has to do with Barmore?

There are a great many #1 receivers in the NFL who don't produce like Meyers does.

The amazing thing about him is that he caught 60 balls for 700+ yards from Cam Newton!

That was a miracle.

That was a miracle. Meyers is good at diving for balls heading into the ground 5 feet in front of him. ;)

You seem to be zero weight into the situations that Meyers was in previously. You also fail to acknowledge the strides that he's made. I seem to remember plenty of people saying that the Patriots were bad having Troy Brown as their Number 1. Same with Edelman.

Yes, the Patriots needed an "upgrade" at the position. They brought Parker in on a trade that's is essentially a 1yr Prove it deal. Thornton was open plenty yesterday. At least 2 plays would have gone for TDs had Zappe hit him because Thornton was that wide open.

The only UPSIDE that I care about is that they catch the damn ball and don't fumble. That will help the team win games. Meyers does that. Meyers looks to have improved over last year. His routes seem crisper. He also seems to be getting to the first down marker more.

FACTS:
Through 5 games (2 he missed) :
Meyers YPR is UP 2.7 YPR
Meyers YPG is UP 29.1 YPG
Meyers YAC is up .6 yards from 2.7 to 3.3

The QBR for his QBs is up 35 points from 81 to 116.3.

Meyers current pace will put him at over 1300 yards on the season..
"I mean sure we still have Julian Edelman but he's no Wes Welker."

If he did not throw to Myers it was because he did not trust him and he wasn’t open.

It's so freeing to have him tf out of here. I mean, it doesn't get us any more rings, but it's freeing LOL.

I agree with you guys, New Brady would just decide a guy wasn't in the club and that was it. Before he was ruined by that insane 2007 et seq. roster, Brady Classic was struggling through rosters where his number 1 was Reche Caldwell and GOD LOVE CALDWELL, I will go to my grave saying that, he went so far above and beyond what he was usually capable of. And God bless pre-Moss Brady, who regularly got the very best out of all his guys... no, he regularly made all of them better.

Eventually I think he was like "you expect me to further pad the distance between me and mortals with this?" But that's speculation.

BB said it had more to do with Wise Jr. having a great year across from Judon. Why do you think Judon's success has to do with Barmore?
Not all of it, of course. However, the double-teams make life easier on the rest. Wise having a solid year so far may be the steak, but Barmore eating 2 blockers is the sauce that ties it all together.

Couple of things -- If Meyers had been suited up for the Green Bay game, they would have made that third down play in OT and probably won. Even more significant, they probably wouldn't even have been in OT. He's just the guy you need to get 4-8 yards, whenever you need it.

Also, on the (I thought) phony roughing the passer penalty in the Pats game, in soccer there would have been off-setting yellow cards -- one for the very marginal helmet to helmet contact (if there even was any), and one on Goff for simulation. He was brushed slightly, maybe, then threw his head back as if gravely injured.

In the Tampa game, the reason so much attention was paid to the bad roughing the passer call was that it made a huge difference -- allowed the Bucs to close out the game. The Falcons, as bad as they played in that game, were on a roll and had a good chance to come back and win if they got the ball back. No attention paid to the same marginal call in the Pats game because it made no difference to the game's outcome, nor could it have, given when it happened.

Great game by our defense, our O-line, RHAM, Zappe, you name it we did an incredible job!! BB did an amazing job on the game plan today!!!
LOL at the narratives that died in this one sentence, when you consider what the mediots have been saying about the coaches:

Defense: Steve B, Mayo
O-Line, Play Calling: Fat Matt
Zappe: QB Coach Joe Judge

Yes, it was only Detroit, but a win is a win, especially a shutout victory.

Oh, and KB got like half the snaps and got one reception for one yard and two penalties.

Maybe the coaches know a little something after all?

Nah, it's more fun to be snarky and take shots at people.

New England Patriots Gameday: Time for Christian Barmore to erupt

Despite the number, Christian Barmore still making an impact along the New England Patriots defensive line​

Speaking of double-teamed, veteran edge rusher Matt Judon says he is seeing the impact of Barmore because it is freeing up other defenders to make plays, particularly himself and defensive end Deatrich Wise jr who have both been consistent forces off the edge.

“It frees us up, gives us the inside and outside,” Judon said, “He don’t get the production, but you can always see him causing havoc.”

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back