PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Lions

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Great game all around really proud of the way Zappe played. Judon might be pushing for Defensive player of the year with his play. Stevens well is a Beast! run the ball effectively play tough Defense...you have winning chance against any NFL Team. That said what's with Agholor and Bourne?? Agholor has become a fumble machine and Bourne I am now convinced is an Idiot Yelling at BB really?? Glad TThornton is back one of the Bourne Agholor should not be dressed. I have gut feeling the hot Bourne will either be cut or Traded. Let's keep this train rolling.
Tyquanon is going to eventually explode. The clip that @Jim Beankie posted is so much like other clips during camp and pre-season where he is virtually uncoverable. Whoever benefits, be it Zappe or Mac, the moment that the QB, Thornton, Meyers, Parker, and the O-line put it all together and really click is the moment this group becomes unstoppable. And if Bourne will stfu and attempt to say it with his play, I hope he can earn a role going forward too, but he seems dead set on Plan B at this point.

The group above -- Thornton (4.28 speed) Parker (4.45 and yes, a quality of buttkickery as needed,) and Meyers (old faithful and really good at it) -- is an embarassment of riches, if the line is stout and Mac or Zappe gets dialed in.

And those 40 speed proxies are not track meet guys who don't translate to the field. For a slightly built guy Thornton will do what's needed to get open; he's not a go-routes-only guy. Same with Agholor, our second fastest guy, albeit presently he's got ball security issues.

Call me a homer but I'm excited for the future

Great blitz pickup by Rham:

Stevenson keeps showing new ways to be the complete package, not the way fantasy fans see it (exclusively) but the way the Pats view it, including blitz pickup etc. Best I can say is on a day when they let him trample all over detroit for 161 yards, he still was super focused on his protection duties. Sounds simple but we know guys who don't or can't.
I guess you could say the same for the people who wanted Hoyer over Zappe.

Meyers had a real good game yesterday, but with his 1st touchdown of the season.
He now has 4 touchdowns in 3 seasons, so
Let’s not put him in Canton just yet.

He is a solid complimentary player, but we
Need him to get into the endzone like he did today.
He is solid/complimentary/bread and butter, if an offense is hitting on all 8 or all 6 these days, I guess. If not, he is the guy who can pull down 700+ yards from Cam Newton. He is outstanding in his ability to play all the way to his ceiling, but you know how once you live in a place with 10 or 12 foot ceilings, you realize how claustrophobic those 8-foot ceilings are? That :D

I live for this O to get in synch and relatively healed up all the way around. If we get that, we can keep pace with anybody.

If Meyers is our #1 receiver we're in big trouble. He'd make a good #3 on most rosters but is not #1 WR material. You do realize that he has a total of 3 receiving touchdowns in 4 seasons in the NFL, don't you?

This is why the Patriots traded for Parker and gambled a high 2nd round pick on Thornton, they know they need to upgrade the WR position. Whether Parker or Thornton will pan out is yet to be seen, but they both offer way higher upside than Meyers if they work out.
Keep beating that drum. Meyers just keeps getting better.

The roughing the passer call on the Patriots was ridiculous. I saw the end of the Bucs game and Brady got sacked and arguably slammed to the turf. They called roughing the passer penalty and I could not believe the whining and pearl clutching by the announcer who just went on and on how unbelievable that penalty was called. The Falcons coach also with his faces and demonstrative antics. They even ran replays of sacks earllier in the game that werent called for roughing. Did the announcers have bets on the game and were pissed? Then I saw the end of the bengals game and even THAT announcer referred to the Brady sack and how ridiculous the call was. Nobody mentioned the Patriots sack penalty though which WAS ridiculous and to this day I never hear the announcers protest a penalty against the Patriots or Brady.

Keep beating that drum. Meyers just keeps getting better.
I don't have to beat a drum. Just stating facts. Meyers has 3 career touchdown receptions in 4 seasons, you can look it up.

I know a lot of us on this forum like to wear homer glasses, but just because a guy made 7 catches in a game doesn't turn him into the next Jerry Rice.

BB seems to have some blind spots when it comes to drafting and/or roster construction. But corner sure as heck isn't one of them. My word he just keeps churning out quality corner after quality corner.
He's had some questionable picks over the year. IR Dowling comes to mind.

I don't have to beat a drum. Just stating facts. Meyers has 3 career touchdown receptions in 4 seasons, you can look it up.

I know a lot of us on this forum like to wear homer glasses, but just because a guy made 7 catches in a game doesn't turn him into the next Jerry Rice.
Man, if only there were something between a #3 receiver and the next Jerry Rice. Oh well.

There are a great many #1 receivers in the NFL who don't produce like Meyers does.

The amazing thing about him is that he caught 60 balls for 700+ yards from Cam Newton!

That was a miracle.
The thing I like least about Meyers is that when he is in there, the QBs focus on him so much and at the expense of other options. But obviously there is a reason for that. The guy has become a very good player.

BB seems to have some blind spots when it comes to drafting and/or roster construction. But corner sure as heck isn't one of them. My word he just keeps churning out quality corner after quality corner.
He missed on Virus Jones in 2016 but point taken.

If Meyers is our #1 receiver we're in big trouble. He'd make a good #3 on most rosters but is not #1 WR material. You do realize that he has a total of 3 receiving touchdowns in 4 seasons in the NFL, don't you?

This is why the Patriots traded for Parker and gambled a high 2nd round pick on Thornton, they know they need to upgrade the WR position. Whether Parker or Thornton will pan out is yet to be seen, but they both offer way higher upside than Meyers if they work out.
But we're not in big trouble, and he's catching more balls than anyone. The problem is the labels WR 1-2-3. They don't mean anything except which receiver draws the other team's #1 CB. Parker now draws the #1 CB as our big play threat, and Meyers is the beneficiary of that. He'll have a 100/1000 season this year even with missing 2 games. He's elite at doping out the coverage, juking to get open, catching the ball, and taking contact during/after the catch.

# of TD's is way overrated - a 1st down machine is equally valuable.

Last edited:

He has 3 TDs in his last ten games look it up. Like I said your beating a tired drum and while you've been doing that he just keeps getting better. To call him a number 3 reciever now is just flat out wrong. Why don't you go look up his numbers this year and even while missing 2 games he on pace for numbers above the average starters. And no one's ever compared him to Jerry Rice just be fair and compare him to the other 64 or so WRs who currently start in the league.

Belichick has done better with UDFA DB’s with Malcolm Butler & JC Jackson than they did with 8 DB picks in the 2nd round over a 12 year period,

All of these guys were waist of picks & we
Traded up to get quite a few of these guys in round #2.

JoeJuan Williams - 2nd round 2019
Duke Dawson - 2nd round 2018
Cyrus Jones - 2nd round 2016
Jordan Richards - 2nd round 2015
Tavon Wilson - 2nd round 2012
Rasi Dowling - 2nd round 2011
Darius Butler - 2nd round 2009
Terrence Wheatley - 2nd round 2008

I do think we do a good job with mid to late round or UDFA DB’s, but round #2 DB’s have been a problem.

Hopefully the Kyle Dugger 2nd round pick
Of 2020, will break that string of 12 terrible DB picks, but Duggar is a safety, where most of the 2nd round busts are CB’s

I forgot Patrick Chung round 2 - 2009 from the above list, but he did very little for us as a 2nd round pick. We didn’t get any real results from Chung until he returned from Philly as a FA.

We got positive results from Chung as a FA, but very little as a 2nd round pick, but he was far better than anyone else on the above list.

Last edited:
Man, if only there were something between a #3 receiver and the next Jerry Rice. Oh well.

Meyers could be our #1 today

Who is #1 & #2?

I have hammered Meyers over his lack of touchdowns & terrible YAC, but I believe
Right now he is our #1.

I do think Parker has more potential, Thornton has far more speed & Bourne is better after the catch, but all in all…. I would have to say Meyers may be our #1
WR.

I think Meyers is perfect for the role Hogan played, but we need a true #1 receiver who is not yet on the roster.

Belichick has done better with UDFA DB’s with Malcolm Butler & JC Jackson than they did with 8 DB picks in the 2nd round over a 12 year period,

All of these guys were waist of picks & we
Traded up to get quite a few of these guys in round #2.

JoeJuan Williams - 2nd round 2019
Duke Dawson - 2nd round 2018
Cyrus Jones - 2nd round 2016
Jordan Richards - 2nd round 2015
Tavon Wilson - 2nd round 2012
Rasi Dowling - 2nd round 2011
Darius Butler - 2nd round 2009
Terrence Wheatley - 2nd round 2008

I do think we do a good job with mid to late round or UDFA DB’s, but round #2 DB’s have been a problem.

Hopefully the Kyle Dugger 2nd round pick
Of 2020, will break that string of 12 terrible DB picks, but Duggar is a safety, where most of the 2nd round busts are CB’s
Well, it wasn't a string of 12 consecutive picks, since a few worked out in between there, like Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty. But nevertheless the misses are well noted.

Well, it wasn't a string of 12 consecutive picks, since a few worked out in between there, like Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty. But nevertheless the misses are well noted.

McCourty was a first round pick, but I did
Miss Chung & I made a note on the original post acknowledging I missed Chung

Chung also did not live up to his 2nd round pick and he did very little before he left for Phillly.

Chung did do a good job for us after he returned from Philly, but he was a FA, not a 2nd round pick when we got results from him

I don’t have a problem with drafting DB’s, I just don’t like the results from round #2

Last edited:
Crazy how dead on this guy is. All my fellow Felgah and Mazz listeners need to check this out.

I've never heard the real show. Sounds like I'm blessed :haha:

Some PFF Notes & Grades from Week 5
  • Our highest graded offensive player this week was actually a surprise... Marcus Cannon. Granted, he only played 12 snaps, but he had a 92.8 grade. That was the 2nd highest grade of any NFL lineman in Week 5 (G, T or C)

• Getting Cannon back in the fold will be a really nice insurance policy. I know they are trying not to give up on Wynn this season, and he played better this week. But if he continues to falter in pass protection or with penalties, we have someone capable of taking his snaps.

• Our 2nd highest graded offensive player was Jakobi Meyers. No surprise there. He was all over the field making plays. His 91.6 grade was actually the highest of all the wide receivers in the NFL in Week 5. Impressive performance coming off an injury.

• Rhamondre was in 3rd this week. Of all running backs who played at least 14 snaps, he had the 2nd highest grade in the league. He also had the 2nd most yards this week and was #1 in yards after contact with 111 yards. I think thats one thing that's impressed me most about him... his shiftiness and ability to keep moving through contact.

• Rhamondre now has the 2nd highest PFF rushing grade AND overall grade for the season among all NFL running backs. He trails only Nick Chubb.

• Hunter Henry had a nice bounce back week. He was our 4th highest graded offensive player and his 77.9 grade was 3rd highest among all NFL tight ends in Week 5.

• Cole Strange continues to be elite in pass blocking. His 80.2 grade in that category was #1 among all the offensive linemen drafted in 2022. He gave up no pressures at all this week.

• Isaiah Wynn had a good performance blocking this week (aside from another dumb penalty). He didn't allow a single pressure this week as well.

• I know a lot of people want him gone (I've been on that train, as well) but he remains one of the elite run blocking linemen in the league.

• He was top 20 in PFF run blocking grade this week and he now has the 14th highest run blocking grade out of 258 offensive linemen. That's how he continues to get playing time.

• Our highest grade defensive player was also someone who saw the field in limited snaps: Mack Wilson. His 92.0 grade was 6th highest in the league among all defenders in the NFL. Hopefully this is a means to get him some more playing time.

• Mack Wilson and Kyle Dugger both had elite coverage grades this week. They ranked 6th (Wilson) and 8th (Dugger) among all NFL defenders in Week 5. Solid work against some elite competition in Hockenson and St. Brown.

• Jack Jones continues to show out. His coverage grade in Week 5 was 9th among all starting corners this week (124 players) and 19th among all NFL defenders (395 players).

• Jack Jones' coverage grade for the season is still #1 in the entire league among NFL defenders who have played at least 1 snap this year (615 players).
    Incredible.

• Since everyone is curious:
    Jack Jones: 81.5 coverage grade in Week 5 (19th)
    JC Jackson: 40.2 coverage grade in Week 5 (359th)

• Matthew Judon had himself a DAY. He finished with 7 total pressures: 2 sacks, 2 QB hits and 3 hurries. That was 2nd most in the entire league this week. Pretty funny that Dan Cambell said about Judon after the game that he "didn't necessarily feel like he wrecked the game".
    Lol. Ok, coach.

• Judon is now tied for the league lead in sacks with 6. He is tied with Nick Bosa and Micah Parsons for the #1 spot. He also has the 4th most QB hits in the league so far this year.

• Josh Uche had another solid day with 4 QB pressures. He's been getting quite a bit of pressure on the QB this season, he just hasn't been able to get all the way home. I'm sure the sacks and QB hits will start coming soon enough.

• The entire pass rush did a great job. Coming into this game, the most QB pressures the Lions had surrendered in any one game was 13. The Patriots had 21 yesterday. You love to see it.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back