PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Lions

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I don't have to beat a drum. Just stating facts. Meyers has 3 career touchdown receptions in 4 seasons, you can look it up.

I know a lot of us on this forum like to wear homer glasses, but just because a guy made 7 catches in a game doesn't turn him into the next Jerry Rice.

While Meyers may only have 3 TD, he's been the best guy when it comes to 3rd down receptions to convert for the 1st down. Much like Edelman, Welker and Troy Brown were.

Maybe if they started using Meyers more in the RZ, our RZ passing offense wouldn't be so bad.

While Meyers may only have 3 TD, he's been the best guy when it comes to 3rd down receptions to convert for the 1st down. Much like Edelman, Welker and Troy Brown were.

Maybe if they started using Meyers more in the RZ, our RZ passing offense wouldn't be so bad.
I feel like they haven’t figured out who the RZ guy is yet. It probably should be Hunter Henry or Bourne, but they keep trying to make it Parker and that ends in interceptions.

McCourty was a first round pick, but I did
Miss Chung & I made a note on the original post acknowledging I missed Chung

Chung also did not live up to his 2nd round pick and he did very little before he left for Phillly.

Chung did do a good job for us after he returned from Philly, but he was a FA, not a 2nd round pick when we got results from him

I don’t have a problem with drafting DB’s, I just don’t like the results from round #2
That 2nd Rd thing really is strange. Bill has shown he can do wonders with the DBs wether that be with studs like Ty, Talib, Revis, or Gilly. Or some of his own developed players Like Butler or JC. Or even WRs pitching in when emergency stuck Brown Jules. He's even had a solid run of DBs who couldn't quite make it here and went on to play solid elsewhere. It's really been one of his stronger positions through the years and while the 2nd Rd thing is weird it's barely worth talking about given it never stopped the DBs from being good.

BB seems to have some blind spots when it comes to drafting and/or roster construction. But corner sure as heck isn't one of them. My word he just keeps churning out quality corner after quality corner.
Incorrect. He churns out quality corner during quality corner, and we see them in series. We experience time linearly. Bill Belichick's people, native to the wormhole, experience time simultaneously.
Meyers could be our #1 today

Who is #1 & #2?

I have hammered Meyers over his lack of touchdowns & terrible YAC, but I believe
Right now he is our #1.

I do think Parker has more potential, Thornton has far more speed & Bourne is better after the catch, but all in all…. I would have to say Meyers may be our #1
WR.

I think Meyers is perfect for the role Hogan played, but we need a true #1 receiver who is not yet on the roster.
Quick answer: that guy might not be on this offensive roster anytime this season, possibly for multiple seasons. How would Cooper Kupp fare with our QBs at their present levels of development? (Sure?)

Another way to do this is to ask, who's our X most plays, who's our Y most plays with a Y, who's our Z most plays. That's as close as you get to answering "omg who's our number 1 there must be a "true number 1."

Meyers is a really productive mainly slot guy, about 70% slot. He's not super fast. Three other guys are, Agholor and Parker, who are 4.4 ish guys (Agholor apparently in fumble jail and now with a tweaked hammie), and Thornton, who is insanely fast. We now apparently have a functioning O-line and then some. We can also PA tf out of anybody with this run game. These pieces have mainly fallen into place recently, certainly since game 2.

Agholor and Harris have hammie injuries, fine, we have receiver-du-jour and Stevenson. We're the only team out there this built for a long, brutal season. You think maybe you'd want to see a little Tre Nixon or WhatshisnameWilkerson? Careful what you wish for.

But decide Parker is open, and he's good for 23 yards per catch but oh-oh, he only catches half his targets, but oh look, he's also in the slot 8% of the time. Huh. The guys running slot routes don't have that problem... and they get the consistent love.

I do wonder whether slot vs. x and z isn't what we're identifying rather than number oneness, and whether that dovetails with the profiles of the young QBs in question, for whom the game still seems to be coming at them at breakneck speed.

Again, I am football stupid. It seems like slot guys are usually not drawing the marquis DBs and are usually identified as more the short-to-medium gainers, which are higher percentage bets, but that is just what I see as a layman.

For whatever reason, Vs. Baltimore, Parker was the guy most open, and he was good for 150+ yards. Did Baltimore just look at film and stats and say, fuggit, Parker's just a decoy out there? Did we just test the Parker connection, find the matchup sweet, and exploit it all day?

Here's my thing. Wait for the end of the damn season then count TDs and yards and tell everybody else in your fantasy league who the number 1 was.

Because week by week depending on who the open man is, that's going to be the number 1... although I have to agree with you that's always likely to be Meyers, because he isn't the unbelievable greatest blow-you-away anything... but he is the guy who will always be number 1 or 2 in catches and yards (but not likely TDs), until and unless that worm turns.

RZ confidence for the QBs -- or perhaps OC -- isn't there right now. I don't know whether and when it will be. At least last year we had the self-assuredness to throw to H Henry in the red zone. This year the answer appears to be nobody. Red zone production is the issue. Solve that, you'll have more "number one" candidates than you know what to do with.

I mean, you really think suddenly our pass catchers became unable to get open or pass a catch in the end zone? I think that's on the QBs. Meyers was never a TD monster and never will be though. I'm not sure what single WR will be, with the QBs as we know them. He's just the reliable guy who has proven he will get open and make the plays you need, and that's his number-oneness super power.

Thornton is that raw uncoverable talent, but he has finess too, and that's a higher-ceiling superpower. Now that he's back, we'll see whether he can be in synch with the QBs. If/when that occurs, question answered and there will be great rejoicing.

Parker's shown he's got great seasons in him. Will he get the media/fantasy football designation of "their number 1 receiver?" Imunno.

I would love, love, love a breakout game for either QB. I do believe they are getting the time now, and need not take snaps in the fetal position. I'm watching, fingers crossed, for those fantasy descriptors to emerge :D

The roughing the passer call on the Patriots was ridiculous. I saw the end of the Bucs game and Brady got sacked and arguably slammed to the turf. They called roughing the passer penalty and I could not believe the whining and pearl clutching by the announcer who just went on and on how unbelievable that penalty was called. The Falcons coach also with his faces and demonstrative antics. They even ran replays of sacks earllier in the game that werent called for roughing. Did the announcers have bets on the game and were pissed? Then I saw the end of the bengals game and even THAT announcer referred to the Brady sack and how ridiculous the call was. Nobody mentioned the Patriots sack penalty though which WAS ridiculous and to this day I never hear the announcers protest a penalty against the Patriots or Brady.
It was a ludicrously bad penalty.

The thing I like least about Meyers is that when he is in there, the QBs focus on him so much and at the expense of other options. But obviously there is a reason for that. The guy has become a very good player.
Meyers is death by a thousand cuts and everybody want that razor sharp samurai sword decapitation slash where the head stays on a minute and as the guy begins to fall it falls off his shoulders. That looks really cool. Can't blame people.

I feel like they haven’t figured out who the RZ guy is yet. It probably should be Hunter Henry or Bourne, but they keep trying to make it Parker and that ends in interceptions.
They don't need "A" Guy for the RZ. I mentioned earlier whom I thought should be out there. With the guys I mentioned, they should be lighting it up every time just about. You run your to slot guys on out Routes along the goal line. You run one outside guy on a Post. The Other on a Corner. Done right, you'll cause enough confusion in the coverage to open things up for one of the receivers somewhere. EIther on the Outs the cut under the Post and Corner or on the Post and Corner. At worse, you hit the corner on a back shoulder fade..

I don't have to beat a drum. Just stating facts. Meyers has 3 career touchdown receptions in 4 seasons, you can look it up.

I know a lot of us on this forum like to wear homer glasses, but just because a guy made 7 catches in a game doesn't turn him into the next Jerry Rice.
Just stating facts: One of those seasons was with TB freezing him out, and the 2d was with Cam I Can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn Newton. He's had 3 TDs in 19 games so far with semi-professional rookie QBs and there's no earthly reason to think he won't improve on that. He's certainly open enough.

If Meyers is our #1 receiver we're in big trouble. He'd make a good #3 on most rosters but is not #1 WR material. You do realize that he has a total of 3 receiving touchdowns in 4 seasons in the NFL, don't you?

This is why the Patriots traded for Parker and gambled a high 2nd round pick on Thornton, they know they need to upgrade the WR position. Whether Parker or Thornton will pan out is yet to be seen, but they both offer way higher upside than Meyers if they work out.

You seem to be zero weight into the situations that Meyers was in previously. You also fail to acknowledge the strides that he's made. I seem to remember plenty of people saying that the Patriots were bad having Troy Brown as their Number 1. Same with Edelman.

Yes, the Patriots needed an "upgrade" at the position. They brought Parker in on a trade that's is essentially a 1yr Prove it deal. Thornton was open plenty yesterday. At least 2 plays would have gone for TDs had Zappe hit him because Thornton was that wide open.

The only UPSIDE that I care about is that they catch the damn ball and don't fumble. That will help the team win games. Meyers does that. Meyers looks to have improved over last year. His routes seem crisper. He also seems to be getting to the first down marker more.

FACTS:
Through 5 games (2 he missed) :
Meyers YPR is UP 2.7 YPR
Meyers YPG is UP 29.1 YPG
Meyers YAC is up .6 yards from 2.7 to 3.3

The QBR for his QBs is up 35 points from 81 to 116.3.

Meyers current pace will put him at over 1300 yards on the season..

Last edited:
That 2nd Rd thing really is strange. Bill has shown he can do wonders with the DBs wether that be with studs like Ty, Talib, Revis, or Gilly. Or some of his own developed players Like Butler or JC. Or even WRs pitching in when emergency stuck Brown Jules. He's even had a solid run of DBs who couldn't quite make it here and went on to play solid elsewhere. It's really been one of his stronger positions through the years and while the 2nd Rd thing is weird it's barely worth talking about given it never stopped the DBs from being good.
Yes, he's actually found a lot more DBs out of college than ones that busted.

Look at the names:
Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson, Ellis Hobbs, James Sanders, Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, Logan Ryan, Kyle Dugger, Jack Jones, Jonathan Jones, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson, Randall Gay, Justin Coleman, Daryl Roberts

Maybe Josh Bledsoe and Marcus Jones are the next ones.

Darius Butler is in the Greg Spires category of a guy that didn't fit the patriots scheme (i.e. couldn't play man) but ended up starting elsewhere for a few years in a zone system. He had a 9 yr career.

Just stating facts: One of those seasons was with TB freezing him out, and the 2d was with Cam I Can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn Newton. He's had 3 TDs in 19 games so far with semi-professional rookie QBs and there's no earthly reason to think he won't improve on that. He's certainly open enough.

Brady freezed him out?
Brady’s favorite receiver is the open receiver.

Brady made a ton of average at best receivers into productive players with rings.

Brady may have preferred a high pick or a fancy free agent, but he is not the type to
Freeze out an open receiver in the endzone

They have a field goal kicker they don't trust. That's why they went for it on 4th down so much
Then they better find one they do trust. They were 0 for 6 on fourth down attempts. Is their primary kicker injured?
I wasn’t talking about just Detroit yesterday. It seems like analytics have coaches going for it a lot more often than in the past.

Yes, he's actually found a lot more DBs out of college than ones that busted.

Look at the names:
Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson, Ellis Hobbs, James Sanders, Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, Logan Ryan, Kyle Dugger, Jack Jones, Jonathan Jones, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson, Randall Gay, Justin Coleman, Daryl Roberts

Maybe Josh Bledsoe and Marcus Jones are the next ones.

Darius Butler is in the Greg Spires category of a guy that didn't fit the patriots scheme (i.e. couldn't play man) but ended up starting elsewhere for a few years in a zone system. He had a 9 yr career.
IIRC Darius Butler really found his stride as a slot/nickel corrnerback.

Speaking of offensive play calling we can all agree we hate: On the Lions 4th & 1 in the 1st quarter they handed off to the half back out of an I formation. I hated when we used to do that. You put yourself into 9 on 11 and the half back gets to the line before anything can even develop.

More Nelson Agholor shade: On Rham's long run at the end of the first the Lions LB that makes the tackle has the angle on Rham after Rham loses some speed from cutting. If Agholor gets that block then Rham likely recovers his speed and takes it to the house. I can't tell if it was pretty lousy effort on Agholor's part or a cramp. After the play he flexes his right leg a couple times so maybe he pulled up lame.

Meyers could be our #1 today

Who is #1 & #2?

I have hammered Meyers over his lack of touchdowns & terrible YAC, but I believe
Right now he is our #1.

I do think Parker has more potential, Thornton has far more speed & Bourne is better after the catch, but all in all…. I would have to say Meyers may be our #1
WR.

I think Meyers is perfect for the role Hogan played, but we need a true #1 receiver who is not yet on the roster.
I’m a huge Parker fan. I think he cn and should be doing much more.

I finally got a chance to watch the game on game pass. The Patriots were one step of the Lions the entire game. They knew what defense to run on most of the plays. They knew what offense to run on most of the plays. We were way more physical and Zappe played like a veteran with his calmness.

Brady freezed him out?
Brady’s favorite receiver is the open receiver.

Brady made a ton of average at best receivers into productive players with rings.

Brady may have preferred a high pick or a fancy free agent, but he is not the type to
Freeze out an open receiver in the endzone
That trope about Brady’s favorite receiver being the open one hasn’t been true for 15 years.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back