PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

The Pats have allowed the least number of ppg in the league after 10 games...... Dallas has allowed 1 more ppg and they are still playing..... On pace to be the 5th best defense in the BB era in terms of points allowed.....
One underrated thing about this stat is that the opposing offense has so many better chances to damage this defense than the defenses of the past faced. With Brady at QB and a better offense, the defense had much less pressure against it than this one does.

I'm relentlessly pointing our the flaws in people's arguments. It's not all Mac, it's about 60% Mac
Nope. Today it was 75% OLINE and/or coaching. Mac was super accurate and threw with velocity too. Pressure was the problem. It was jailbreak time all afternoon. And the Jets did that rushing 4 or 5 and got lots of interior pressure which is kryptonite for pocket passers.

Mac will see nothing but pressure until they solve this problem. There are both talent and coaching problems with the OLINE, and little or nothing was called by the coaches to slow down the Jets rush...

It was a totally legal block. Close, yes. But legal. Didn't need to do it and risk the penalty, but it was legal. Anyone complaining about it being illegal doesn't know the rule.
Agreed it was legal. I just don't agree with unnecessarily tempting the refs into a bad call. Then again, I also want players hustling and not assuming that "we're probably ok if I don't make this block." So I guess I see both sides. It's a nuanced scenario.

Patricia is really showing off his limited imagination.
First, I am in no way saying Patricia is doing well. Play design, call variance, innovation - he doesn't do those things well, but an argument could be made that all three of those are a product of time and experience - neither of which he has.

However, he is learning and changing. What was the one thing this board (and media, and other fan base) kept repeating over and over and over "More play action! It's all about play action! That will solve everything!"

What did you see today, a lot more play action. The results - more bad than good not because of the play call, but because of other variables - the OL getting steamrolled, the WRs not getting quick separation, the QB going "zero risk", etc.

I remain on the "Patricia is actually the 'interim' OC bandwagon, but at the same time also understand that he is actually making small progress in the role he has been given. (very small...but it's there).

It should have been 4 FG's today if they'd been satisfied with just making FG's. Instead they had Mac taking deep drops from the 20, taking sacks that put us out of range. Tactical error on Belichick's part in this weather against that opponent with half our OL in the locker room.
You gotta go for TDs at some point. I don't blame the coaches.

On the other hand, I don't think we have the kind of offense that can convert a 2nd a goal from the 20 after a bogus holding call.

Man, the refs are killing us. From bad spots which make Belichick go for a FG inside the 10 yard line to 2 bad holding calls (Cajuste's wasn't and Ferentz's was minor compared to the total bear hugs against Judon on the other side).

"This s--- is not OK," Wilson told reporters. "Straight up. It's not OK. How many total yards did we have? ... Yeah, that s---'s not going to fly. We've got the dudes. It's time to be consistent. It's time to start winning the games we should win."

Wilson was asked about the poor play of second-year quarterback Zach Wilson, who finished 9-of-22 with only 77 passing yards.

"I don't know, man. I just try to do my job to the best of my ability," Wilson said. "It takes all 11 of us. If it don't go all right with the other dudes, then you're not going to have them opportunities. You're not going to have a chance to make a play to change the game, and I kind of felt like that today."

The Jets' D allowed just 17 points to Miami and 17 to Buffalo. They were playing well (allowing just 15 a game in their last 5) and it was a windy day that made passing and kicking difficult. The Patriots moved the ball quite a bit today but struggled in scoring position, obviously. But they did a HELL of a lot more on offense than the Jets did. They dominated time of possession, yards gained, first downs, yards per play, everything. But the negative plays (sacks and run stuffs) plus the 8 penalties really hurt them, plus the two missed FGs.

Watched every minute of ten games. I mean, I cannot explain the 6-4 in words, based on what I watched. If they AREN’T 6-6 in two weeks, Disney should consider making a film…

First, I am in no way saying Patricia is doing well. Play design, call variance, innovation - he doesn't do those things well, but an argument could be made that all three of those are a product of time and experience - neither of which he has.

However, he is learning and changing. What was the one thing this board (and media, and other fan base) kept repeating over and over and over "More play action! It's all about play action! That will solve everything!"

What did you see today, a lot more play action. The results - more bad than good not because of the play call, but because of other variables - the OL getting steamrolled, the WRs not getting quick separation, the QB going "zero risk", etc.

I remain on the "Patricia is actually the 'interim' OC bandwagon, but at the same time also understand that he is actually making small progress in the role he has been given. (very small...but it's there).

And this is the definition of 'damning with faint praise';)

Watched every minute of ten games. I mean, I cannot explain the 6-4 in words, based on what I watched. If they AREN’T 6-6 in two weeks, Disney should consider making a film…
D fence

The Jets' D allowed just 17 points to Miami and 17 to Buffalo. They were playing well (allowing just 15 a game in their last 5) and it was a windy day that made passing and kicking difficult. The Patriots moved the ball quite a bit today but struggled in scoring position, obviously. But they did a HELL of a lot more on offense than the Jets did. They dominated time of possession, yards gained, first downs, yards per play, everything. But the negative plays (sacks and run stuffs) plus the 8 penalties really hurt them, plus the two missed FGs.
8 penalties oof. And crucial ones, too, in the red zone; Jets last drive.

And this is the definition of 'damning with faint praise'
Agree, but I'm not in the "fire him right now" camp because it will create more havoc than it will resolve. Who would replace him?

Also this is already a light staff (which unlike many here I tend to think will increase into next season - it was the huge exodus with McDaniels (and didn't Daboll yank a couple too??????) that ran out the clock on getting replacements in before camp).

Ride out the season with Patricia then re-evaulate based on the results. Best solution? Probably not. Only realistic one? Probably.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back