PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Why not? Should he cease to go after the ball carrier and just hope the next guy gets him?

I think you must have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Here's the scenario I was contemplating:

Player A blocks player B in the side.
Player B immediately twists and turns his back on player A, so the block in the side is converted into a block in the back.

I'm saying that should not be a block in the back penalty, consistent with the situation where B twists just before contact, which is not a penalty.

I think you must have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Here's the scenario I was contemplating:

Player A blocks player B in the side.
Player B immediately twists and turns his back on player A, so the block in the side is converted into a block in the back.

I'm saying that should not be a block in the back penalty, consistent with the situation where B twists just before contact, which is not a penalty.
I understood. It’s a block in the back. That’s why I asked what the defender who is blocked in the side is supposed to do as the ball carrier is running by him? Of course he’s going to turn and try to run him down. If the block continues, it’s a penalty. Them’s the rules.

Of course he’s going to turn and try to run him down.
Why would he do that instead of simply provoking the penalty instead? Someone blocks you in the side, you simply turn your back to him and chances are that he ends up on your back (because of momentum) and is penalized.

Why would he do that instead of simply provoking the penalty instead? Someone blocks you in the side, you simply turn your back to him and chances are that he ends up on your back (because of momentum) and is penalized.
Because, as we saw, the flag may not get thrown.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back