PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jets

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Roman Phifer led the team in tackles in 2002 and had a good year.
Vrabel led in 2005 and the D was 8th vs the run and 6th in ypc

2002 and 2005 the defense could not stop the run. Trying to play revisionist history with cherry picked stats doesn't help. They had to go get Ted Washington in 2003 because of how crappy the run defense was in 2002.

Not to take away from your point that the post you were responding to was uninformed, but tackles are a bad stat to judge defensive players on by itself. If they run to your hole gain 8 years and you make the tackle, its not a positive stat.
Is any stat good to judge defensive players?

Nordin who? Folk great again

Just finished watching the Game (GamePass - have to wait until its over) and tried to specifically focus on the run defense. I know a lot of folks are saying they're getting "blown off the ball", but that's not really the biggest issue. (if it was they wouldn't have improved over the course of the game because that says they're simply outmatched in every way: strength, speed, etc)

What's happening is they're not shedding the blocks well (at all) at the point of attack especially. Add in poor arm tackling as well. It improved in the second half, but that was also more gap shooting by the Pats LBs and S as they had figured out the blocking scheme the Jets were using for the game and could attack.

2002 and 2005 the defense could not stop the run. Trying to play revisionist history with cherry picked stats doesn't help. They had to go get Ted Washington in 2003 because of how crappy the run defense was in 2002.

You hit the nail on the head... Their nosetackle godchaux gets pushed all around. The d line aint playing well

I’m not playing anything I’m stating facts. Phifer was a good player in 2002 and he led the team in tackles.
The 2005 run D was good. 8th in yards, 6th in ypc. Allowed less than 100 yards a game.
Facts.

McDaniels has a handful of plays that he runs over and over again. He's becoming Mike McCarthy in GB or Jason Garrett. Red zone playcalling/play design is atrocious. This is a continuation of last season.
I hate to give DKF any ammunition with which he can go off on a rant, but have to agree somewhat. Where are the bunch formations? The motion? The back of the end zone fades to our two new TEs? None of these things are necessarily higher risk, but offer the ability to get one on one.

Now on the positive, they did unleash the old #87 up the seam for a huge gain to Henry. They always save that for a very specific down/distance/defensive look, but it was great to see again.

JC Jackson didn’t play in the 2nd half and won’t say why.
He broke his helmet...and the equipment manager don't accept no broken helmets.

(now not kidding - do they have spare helmets right sized etc? Was he indeed in the concussion protocol as Trent Green mentioned?)

I'm concerned about the front line. All during the pre-season it was touted as one of the best and now, absent Trent Brown, it's porocity exposed the lack of depth and Mac Jones was constantly harassed as a result.
OL was really the weak link today.

But both the terrible run d in 2002 and the good run d in 2005 have nothing to do with tackle numbers being misleading.

I hate to give DKF any ammunition with which he can go off on a rant, but have to agree somewhat. Where are the bunch formations? The motion? The back of the end zone fades to our two new TEs? None of these things are necessarily higher risk, but offer the ability to get one on one.

Now on the positive, they did unleash the old #87 up the seam for a huge gain to Henry. They always save that for a very specific down/distance/defensive look, but it was great to see again.

When I'm right, I'm right:

1. Was right about the 2TE offense and 2009-2012 drafts built the foundation of the last 3 rings.
2. Pats need an elite CB1 to be a contender, never won a ring without an elite CB1. Pay Gilmore.
3. Was right about Mac Jones last yr before almost anyone else here.
4. Said the team needs a bonafide NT. Godcheaux and Bentley suck.
5. This one is super obvious now but was saying Durant and Herron suck and should not play.

I will cede I can get a little overboard when it comes to our overrated oc. I do not want to waste another year of Belichick's life with a fraud oc who Brady carried on his back for 15 years except for 3 different seasons where McD sucked without Tom Brady. BB only has a couple good years left and I don't want to waste any more seasons while everyone finally realizes the oc is a fraud.

Good win, I’ll take it.
is it just me or does it seem to take forever to hand the ball to the RB or play action when it’s a fake? Seems it’s so slow that the D gets upfield by the time the play is in action

I would love to see that go faster but maybe it’s all in my head.

Well we've clearly found a way to disguise any problems in our play and nonetheless look dominant. Unfortunately we only play the JETE twice a year, so...

the lack of explosive plays in the passing game is frustrating.
Once again - the "only" explosive play is considered a long pass in this context. With cleaner execution, especially blocking from both the OL and TEs on a couple of those screens the back or TE is STILL running free. Explosive plays are NOT only of the "one on one" out run the other guy variety. Some are team based and can break a team out of blitzing JUST AS READILY as the 50 yard bomb.

That doesnt mean the Pats don't have to continue to show the ability to use the medium and long 3rds of the field (they do), but there were at least three plays today where if the offense had executed as a unit - it would've been either a TD or a massive chunk play (incl. the backwards pass play).

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back