PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jets

Honestly losing the to the Jets would be really really bad.

is the quality of player we can get that drastically different at 15 than It would be at 10?

To me, the names at 10 are better than the names at 15. But thats just me.

edit. for some reason BR isn't imbedding. Weird. It's just a web link...

If someone has a list of the players that were drafted number 10 and number 15 over the past seven years, would be curious to see how much of a difference there is.
2010​
10th pick Tyson Alualu DT Jaguars
15th pick Jason Pierre-Paul LB Giants
2011​
10th pick Blaine Gabbert QB Jaguars
15th pick Mike Pouncey C Dolphins
2012​
10th pick Stephon Gilmore CB Bills
15th pick Bruce Irvin DE Seahawks
2013​
10th pick Chance Warmack G Titans
15th pick Kenny Vaccaro S Saints
2014​
10th pick Eric Ebron TE Lions
15th pick Ryan Shazier LB Steelers
2015​
10th pick Todd Gurley RB Rams
15th pick Melvin Gordon RB Chargers
2016​
10th pick Eli Apple CB Giants
15th pick Corey Coleman WR Browns
2017​
10th pick Patrick Mahomes QB Chiefs
15th pick Malik Hooker S Colts
2018​
10th pick Josh Rosen QB Cardinals
15th pick Kolton Miller OT Raiders
2019​
10th pick Devin Bush LB Steelers
15th pick Dwayne Haskins QB Football team
2020​
10th pick Jedrick Wills OT Browns
15th pick Jerry Jeudy WR Broncos

its a dangerous spot there between 8 and 15 around, there are quite some busts but also some great players picked in this range, it depends on desperation of a team for a specific position and prospect evaluation (and some luck in the end to hit on the right guy)

to be honest I wouldn't have any concerns with any defensive player picked there next year by the pats (except for safety and CB thats more for 2nd round ;) ), for offense I do have some concerns on the evaluation part, however there might be some guys like Pitts, I think you should not miss out if they fall into your spot

In general I think there is a bit too much upheaval over the "loss" of draft position. We are talking about a potential difference of 11 to 16 and in the end, what matters is not draft position alone but rather who is available and what teams are interested in which players and positions.

Hopefully the right FAs can see that this is a team close to being in the 11+ win territory again. The guts are there.

In general I think there is a bit too much upheaval over the "loss" of draft position. We are talking about a potential difference of 11 to 16 and in the end, what matters is not draft position alone but rather who is available and what teams are interested in which players and positions.

That mentality is correct when you are playing for a playoff spot and you came up just short. Going above and beyond to win the last game of a season that drops you that much...is where it becomes problematic .

Sure but it took 2 firsts and a 3rd to get him if I recall. Would it not be better to NOT have to trade all of that? No saying there is stud QB available at 10...but I'd rather have that option.
Much cheaper for us to move up. Chiefs moved up from 27. Honestly may only cost us a 15 and a third if we make a move up to 10.

If someone has a list of the players that were drafted number 10 and number 15 over the past seven years, would be curious to see how much of a difference there is.
It's not an accurate comparison.

No 2 drafts are alike and some teams are horrid at drafting. Did the Bears make a blunder taking Tribisky in lieu of Mahomes?

The cold hard facts are that the NFL is dominated by 1st round QBs.

It's not an accurate comparison.

No 2 drafts are alike and some teams are horrid at drafting. Did the Bears make a blunder taking Tribisky in lieu of Mahomes?

The cold hard facts are that the NFL is dominated by 1st round QBs.
I'd hate to be a Bears or 9ers fan right now. Could've had Watson (I'm not the biggest fan of) or Mahomes. 9ers took the the poor man's Trey Flowers in Soloman Thomas AT #3! What a disaster.

Much cheaper for us to move up. Chiefs moved up from 27. Honestly may only cost us a 15 and a third if we make a move up to 10.
The question though is not whether or not to move to 10 to grab a QB, but rather who do they like at QB and which teams are potentially drafting a first round QB.

Right now the QBs with consensus first round grades are Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance with Jones looking in.

Meanwhile teams that are potentially interested in a QB (and definitely ahead of the Patriots in the draft order) are:

#1 Jaguars
#2 Jets
#3 Falcons - depending on what they plan with Matt Ryan
#4 Dolphins - depending on how they rate Tua this year
#7 Lions - depending on what they plan with Stafford
#8 Panthers
#9 Broncos
#10 Cowboys - depending on whether they manage to re-sign Dak Prescott

That's anywhere between 4 and 8 teams, so it's not unlikely that to get one of the top 4 ranked QBs you'd need to try to strike a deal with the Eagles or Lions at 6/7 (pending result of the Eagles game against Washington) or make an offer to the Panthers and Broncos that outweigh their own QB draft considerations.

However, once one of the top 4-5 QBs pass Dallas at 10 there is probably no other team ahead of the Patriots that will draft a QB with the possible exception of SF if they lose to Seattle (and potential trade-ups) so in that case you probably only need to trade up to somewhere around 11-12 to assuredly get the QB (if he's the one they like).

right now we need SF and LV to win, then we might move up a spot. SF would be tied with us and since they beat us their draft position would be lower and LV is tied with us right now. If they win then they will have a lower draft than us.

Cam today looked like he did the first few weeks and was much closer to the type of player we all hoped for. Still lacked some pocket awareness and made a few funky passes but he ran extremely well and also made some great throws (like the 3rd and long that Jacobi picked up after the review) Appreciate the effort he gave all year and wish him good luck in wherever he lands next year.

I know it was only 2 targets, but I would've loved to have seen more Gunner as a WR. Imho, we should sign/extend Meyers long term right now, but I was one of those overzealous people after the 2019 preseason.

1609710388549.png

Refreshing to end the season with a win, especially with Gunner getting to 20 punts to officially have one of the best punt return seasons of all time (17.3yds/ret for 3rd all time in the Super Bowl era - 11th for all seasons). I feel better than after the Titans loss last year. Crazy to think that this team got to 7-9 especially while watching them down 10 in the middle of the 4th quarter of the first Jets game to almost go 2-6 (yes, we hear you protankers no need to respond).

See y'all after the combine/draft or whenever we sign that FA QB. Thankfully, the Celtics squeaked by today.

Last edited:
Haha, just playing. I'm in Edmonton. My team currently doesn't have name.
Ooo I gotcha. I definitely dislike the Calgary Stampeders if that helps? Haha, all jokes aside I was sad when Edmonton had to change its name, the EE logo no longer makes sense

right now we need SF and LV to win, then we might move up a spot. SF would be tied with us and since they beat us their draft position would be lower and LV is tied with us right now. If they win then they will have a lower draft than us.
So far, so good.

I know it was only 2 targets, but I would've loved to have seen more Gunner as a WR. Imho, we should sign/extend Meyers long term right now, but I was one of those overzealous people after the 2019 preseason.

View attachment 29663

Refreshing to end the season with a win, especially with Gunner getting to 20 punts to officially have one of the best punt return seasons of all time (17.3yds/ret for 3rd all time in the Super Bowl era - 11th for all seasons). I feel better than after the Titans loss last year. Crazy to think that this team got to 7-9 wins especially while watching them down 10 in the middle of the 4th quarter of the first Jets game to almost go 2-6 (yes, we hear you protankers no need to respond).

See y'all after the combine/draft or whenever we sign that FA QB. Thankfully, the Celtics squeaked by today.
Absolutely nuts that Byrd had less separation than Harry.

So if it’s true, and it should be, that the Pats are not bringing Cam back, why wouldn’t you play Stidham in this game?

Aside from not wanting to lose to the Jets, why not give the kid a start? I have no faith in Stidham, and don’t think he is a starting NFL QB, but why not play him these last two weeks?

I really don’t see a reason why he didn’t play.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back