PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Dolphins

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Unfortunately for us, they then might move the game to Detroit again, and unless Matty misses the flight Jones will be dropped back to pass 33 times again to be swarmed under.
Our only hope is of they sit there starters, but I think they are still playing for seeding. Haven't checked, so I could be wrong

Our only hope is of they sit there starters, but I think they are still playing for seeding. Haven't checked, so I could be wrong
KC has the # 1 seed right now after beating Denver. If Buffalo loses tonight KC keeps # 1 seed. If Buffalo wins tonight KC drops to # 2 seed.

I was contemplating that one as well. Not quite sure how buffalo would react to #2 vs #3 as that may be at stake but yes it would make the game alot less meaningful to them. Either way the Saturday flex will help us as long as the kc result is the opposite of whatever buffalo does tonight.
Buffalo might even "soft throw" to get us in the playoffs for a (perceived) easier wildcard matchup

For me it is not the stats. I care about how Mac looks. His temperament. His footwork. Mac is smart and accurate - we know that. Can he put it together? Today I think he looked like he could after a good second half against the Bengals. Fingers crossed.

Thornton looked much better too. They are getting it together in bits, can they do it more consistently?
Great balanced view . I have also been critical of Mac but today the last drive showed me something we haven't seen in a while.

I watched Pickett yesterday and saw how good their offensive playcalling is. With lack of talent on offense and total inept offensive staff it's a miracle we still control our destiny to post season.

Patricia would have pulled back any QB , even mahomes and Josh Allen with this support cast and playcalling.

Mac has reduced his turnovers and is establishing the connect with Thornton and Henry again which is a good thing. Force feeding to agholor and Parker really killed his confidence as that contributed to over 7 Turnovers and on top of that the injury at most inopportune time.

He might not have the arm but if he retains his smarts and stays composed we could have a franchise QB. Burrow also doesn't seem to have a rocket of an arm and is doing exceedingly well complemented by good coaching and playmakers.

If we want to put blame, blame it on Bill . Mac is the least of our worries on offense . We shouldn't do a David Carr on Mac. Allow him to get his confidence and allow the growth.

I hope we win against buffalo and see how far we can go to postseason. That would really be a giant step in right direction for next season.

Buffalo might even "soft throw" to get us in the playoffs for a (perceived) easier wildcard matchup

True, but if buffalo loses tonight, losing to us too makes it unlikely we match up as theyll be 3 seed. If they win tonight, theyll be going all out for the bye unless kc loses Saturday.

Also to your point though, If they do have the bye wrapped up heading into sunday, they may look at us as an opportunity for 2 ‘byes’ in case we can upset kc and more incentive to lay down next week.

Thornton had a good game yesterday, but he still is lacking in the fundamentals. I think yesterday was a damning indictment on Troy Brown. Thornton is still struggling with the basics that should have been coached to him.

In this play, Thornton is wide open running down the center of the field. Jones throws a ball to hit him in stride. But Thornton slowed up and turned around. He slowed down too much and had to make a circus catch which made him fall to the ground and not get any yards after the catch. If he just kept running, and even if he had to turn around to catch the ball, it would have been likely a TD rather than just a big gain.

In this play, he doesn't have awareness of the sidelines and gets lucky that the review could not definitively determine when he got possession. He is running parallel with the sidelines. Yes, the ball is slightly overthrown, but still catchable. But when he catches the ball, he turn his body towards the sidelines and has no awareness to even try to drag that back foot. He should have not turn his body at all and tried to recover and run down the sidelines. Or at the very least tried to drag the back foot.

Then there was the pass in the back of the end zone where he steps out of bounds. Yes, wasn't the best pass, but he needed to have awareness of where the back of the end zone was and looked to step out of bounds even before he struggled to catch the ball.

One other thing is he seems to make some easy catches look tough. Last week on the one he dropped, he dove for the ball while he could have easily tried to catch it in stride. Both the videos here he seems to lose control on each catch. Neither were easy catches (the second was because of his own doing), but good and great receivers are more in control of their bodies. That isn't coachable, but hopefully can be corrected with him doing offseason strength and conditioning.

Again, yesterday was a good day for Thornton, but it could have been a great day. All the talk about coaching letting Mac Jones down, I think Thornton has been let down by coaching just as much. Someone should be working with this guy to learn how to work the sidelines. Same with teaching him when he has a free release like that not to slow down and turn around.

I don't mean to trash the guy in arguably the best game of his young career, but I think the guy has far more potential if he is coached better and he gets stronger and has more control of his body.

Great points.. should T brown be on the hot seat this year .

Interesting take. Could mean that the future is bright if he can put it all together. I think it's clear that he has talent, but we haven't seen all the little details shine yet. Here's hoping for a monster, breakout game next week!

Nothing I pointed out is not correctable. He does has speed and he has been able to get separation on plays. The former cannot be coached. An off-season in the Patriots strength and conditioning program will do wonders. If they start to coach him better, that will do a lot too.

I had to listen to yesterday's game on the radio. Zo's comments were very much in line with your point that Thornton has room to grow. There was another play where Mac overthrew him on a deep pattern because Thornton stopped running after contact with the DB. Being able to deal with physical DB's is another area of focus that should improve with awareness and additional strength.

I forgot about that play, but yes it is another example of where he has room to grow.

KC has the # 1 seed right now after beating Denver. If Buffalo loses tonight KC keeps # 1 seed. If Buffalo wins tonight KC drops to # 2 seed.
So if they win and KC wins, they will still need to play starters to go foe #1 seed

I thought it was more of a stinger to his left shoulder. The way his arm hung there afterwards. Initially, I thought he'd dislocated the shoulder.. but when I saw him moving it, I knew it wasn't that or a broken clavicle.
You're right, it was the shoulder. I was also right in that he's done for the year.

EDIT: Sorry, this is from last year.
Report: Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones set for season-ending shoulder surgery

FURTHER EDIT!! :)

All I can find now is 'chest'.

Last edited:
The most fascinating thing of Belichick’s tenure is the dramatic personnel decisions like benching Malcolm Butler in that SB or the infuriating curtailment of Kendrick Bourne’s snaps this season when he is clearly our most explosive WR.

Will we find out the behind-the-scenes details someday? I’m curious.
I think we already have the answers. KB never bought in to the new offensive scheme.. he never respected Patricia's ability to suddenly coach offense, he asked questions and corrected him where he was wrong.. butler another guy who questions Matt Patricia about the game plan against the eagles, he gets deciplined.. of course BB has the final say on all of this.. so what ever happened to what's best for the team? Guess that only applies to when he has to cut a player or reduce his playing time so he won't reach incentives in his contract...

Pats barely beat the Fins, with their 2nd/3rd string QB.....

If Allen plays next week, Pats will lose.

I think we already have the answers. KB never bought in to the new offensive scheme.. he never respected Patricia's ability to suddenly coach offense, he asked questions and corrected him where he was wrong.. butler another guy who questions Matt Patricia about the game plan against the eagles, he gets deciplined.. of course BB has the final say on all of this.. so what ever happened to what's best for the team? Guess that only applies to when he has to cut a player or reduce his playing time so he won't reach incentives in his contract...

Could you please cite where KB "never bought into the new offensive system"? Could you cite the reporting that KB "never respected Patricia's ability to suddenly coach offense"? Could you cite where KB asked questions and corrected Patricia when Patricia was wrong?

Where did you get that Butler was benched for questioning the game plan against the Eagles?

When has BB reduced a player's playing time so he wouldn't reach incentives? I remember them making exceptions in regards to incentives for several players over the past 20 years and giving them their bonus...

Pats barely beat the Fins, with their 2nd/3rd string QB.....

If Allen plays next week, Pats will lose.

The Pats weren't supposed to win at all. Not with them missing Jack and Marcus Jones and Mills being a question mark. Waddle, Hill, and Co were supposed to make it so that Bridgewater would have an easy day and still lead the Phins to a double digit victory...

Buffalo will know by next Sunday as KC plays Saturday.

Yes, that's the word going around. Don't expect Matt to back as OC.
Oh of course not, RKK as all owners are Is results driven.. seeing this proud franchise look the way we have offensively is embarrassing... reports are RKK really likes Caley. I have to give Caley some credit he was blocked from joining the raiders, he was approached about becoming a play caller before the Patricia debacle. Caley wouldn't not take the play calling job without being named OC.. same for Mayo he was offered Co- defensive coordinator he turned it down!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back