PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Colts

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

If the ol plays better, the offense would look better and the playcalling would look better. So its not so much the playcalling im concerned with. But the same dude in charge of oc is the guy in charge of OL …. that is and always has been the concern for me since training camp. Other than the first few games cannon helped out, thats really been a mess and time is running out on getting things right for this year.

Definitely an issue. It's how defenses know what's coming. He can't run PA so when he's under center they know it's probably a run and in shotgun right now is not an ideal thing for running because the OL up the middle without Andrews and with a rookie isn't the most ideal thing. Andrews is a probably a top 5-8 Center in run blocking. Offense missing him a lot right now especially his ability to call out and pick up run blitzes.

Any open lane you've seen the last couple weeks up the middle probably was because of Onwenu.
Everyone sh*tting on Patricia, but I think Mac makes them way more predictable right now because for whatever reason, he isn't seeing the field well and they are trying to play in a way that doesn't amplify his weaknesses

If the ol plays better, the offense would look better and the playcalling would look better. So its not so much the playcalling im concerned with. But the same dude in charge of oc is the guy in charge of OL …. that is and always has been the concern for me since training camp. Other than the first few games cannon helped out, thats really been a mess and time is running out on getting things right for this year.
I'm still holding out judgement on Matty P the play caller and I also find it difficult to be to critical of Mac for the same reason. The OL has just been too bad and skews things for my untrained eye.
I do not however reserve judgement on Matty P and Yates for the OL that's been a trainwreck. Hopefully health can help fix this.

I dont think hes reading defenses well at all. They don't want him to have his back to the defense. That's why they are keeping everything in front of him and giving him as much time as possible.
Let's hope Mac works on his movement in the pocket he panics at any hint of pressure.

Last edited:
I'm still holding out judgement on Matty P the play caller and I also find it difficult to be to critical of Mac for the same reason. The OL has just been too bad and skews things for my untrained eye.
I do not however reserve judgement on Matty P and Yates for the OL that's been a trainwreck. Hopefully health can help fix this.

Same here. Not suprisingly, the playcalling looked brilliant the games I referred to when the ol was stout.

Let's hope Mac works on his movement in the pocket he panics at any int of pressure.
His pocket movement had never been great. He was making the oline look way worse than it was the start of his rookie campaign because he would move right into pressure.

It's something that's concerned me, because he got better at it the middle of the season and then regressed.

Cleaning up the Patriots notebook, like only Reiss can: some really interesting points he makes about the offense and O-line and who he would play going forward. Been a lot of discussion about the O-line on here:

Disagree with Reiss on #s 6 & 7... I thought Cachoo played better at RT than Lose/Lose has All Season Long, and deserves another start there vs the Jete at home.

Disagree with Reiss on #s 6 & 7... I thought Cachoo played better at RT than Lose/Lose has All Season Long, and deserves another start there vs the Jete at home.
This is per Zack Cox...He didn't commit any penalties which is good but gave up a lot of pressures. This is one of the story lines heading into the bye:

Yodny Cajuste became the third player to start a game there (joining Wynn and Marcus Cannon, who now is on injured reserve), and though he had some positive moments as a downfield blocker, the seldom-used 2019 third-rounder allowed a team-high five pressures and one sack. We’ll see if he impressed the coaching staff enough to earn himself another start.

Cachoo needs playing time. He’s got the physical tools. He has rust on top of rust. He’ll get better. Higher ceiling than Wynn at RT.

That experiment has run its course.

I love that Mike doesn't give ESPN an extra blog entry and instead opts to write it out in notepad and post them as screenshots on Twitter.

Orlovsky highlights when the ball is supposed to be out, which shows that no one was open. No one opens up until Mac starts getting under pressure. Jones said it the other day, there are certain places he's been told to look first by design before he goes to his next progression. In that bit of film, you can see spinning back to his left based on where his eyes and feet started would have been difficult. Those quotes to me are telling, and definitely provides some insight on what's going on. And clearly Jones has heard the chatter, bringing up the "false reality" comment. Hence the reason why I think he's starting to speak out - albeit subtly.

Orlovsky highlights when the ball is supposed to be out, which shows that no one was open. No one opens up until Mac starts getting under pressure. Jones said it the other day, there are certain places he's been told to look first by design before he goes to his next progression. Those quotes to me are telling, and definitely provides some insight on what's going on. And clearly Jones has heard the chatter, bringing up the "false reality" comment. Hence the reason why I think he's starting to speak out - albeit subtly.
I think he’s saying more than that — that Jones was ready to throw it quickly, but in the play design only one of the four receivers was even looking for the ball at that point. The play design (or execution by the receivers) led to a lot of slow developing routes, yet the intention was for a quick hitter. That completely unacceptable, and responsibility falls on the Patriots coaching staff. Either they designed terrible routes, or they didn’t coach the players well enough on the option adjustments. One thing for an isolated incident, but Orlovsky claims it’s all over the film.

Orlovsky highlights when the ball is supposed to be out, which shows that no one was open. No one opens up until Mac starts getting under pressure. Jones said it the other day, there are certain places he's been told to look first by design before he goes to his next progression. In that bit of film, you can see spinning back to his left based on where his eyes and feet started would have been difficult. Those quotes to me are telling, and definitely provides some insight on what's going on. And clearly Jones has heard the chatter, bringing up the "false reality" comment. Hence the reason why I think he's starting to speak out - albeit subtly.

He was never truly under pressure. He walked himself into it unnecessarily … and he does that very often.

A good QB will make that pocket last a lot longer than Jones did.

He was never truly under pressure. He walked himself into it unnecessarily … and he does that very often.

A good QB will make that pocket last a lot longer than Jones did.
the sandlot killing me smalls GIF

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots