PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread OFFICIAL POST GAME THREAD: Patriots Lose 34-0 to Saints

Immediate Postgame Reactions
i said from the beginning he had room to step up jesus, he lacks the presence to recognize it quickly and at some point it was too late.
in a normal dropback it was possible anyway, in a 7 yard dropback a qb with good awareness recognize it quickly that the DE are attacking the outside side of the Tackles on both sides of the line and he either throws it away or has to step up immediately to avoid the edge rushers
mac didn't do any of it and had not the athletic ability to run away from it

is it just me or are there general technical issues here today? I can't really access this site today
It got cleared up

I feel like good QBs have a feel for the game and it starts to slow down,
Mac it seems to have sped up faster than he can manage.
Whether it’s moving the line into the heart of the defense.
Or him running into harms way as opposed to away from it.
Not moving up in the pocket to evade the pass rush and find a throwing lane and missing open WRs.

This isn’t a NFL QB he was advertised to be pro ready plug and play but he is quite the project and his ceiling is too low to deal with these growing pains to hope for a good Andy Dalton type of QB.

i said from the beginning he had room to step up jesus, he lacks the presence to recognize it quickly and at some point it was too late.
in a normal dropback it was possible anyway, in a 7 yard dropback a qb with good awareness recognize it quickly that the DE are attacking the outside side of the Tackles on both sides of the line and he either throws it away or has to step up immediately to avoid the edge rushers
mac didn't do any of it and had not the athletic ability to run away from it

is it just me or are there general technical issues here today? I can't really access this site today
I quoted your post where you said he dropped too far back and didn’t have room to step up. Your words. How can you say you didn’t say that?

On a pass play the QB has an assigned drop. When he took his assigned drop the pass rush was all over him. The only way that could be avoided was if while dropping back he looked at the pass rushers to decide whether he should drop back or not. In theory he could have not executed his responsibility, looked around and focus in something other than his responsibilities and stopped after 3 or 4 steps, which would destroy the timing of the play and create chaos in an offense where players don’t carry out their responsibilities but guess whether they are right.

Zero daily for him on this play. I know you want to rip him so find one of the many plays that were his fault, or ask someone who understands

I feel like good QBs have a feel for the game and it starts to slow down,
Mac it seems to have sped up faster than he can manage.
Whether it’s moving the line into the heart of the defense.
Or him running into harms way as opposed to away from it.
Not moving up in the pocket to evade the pass rush and find a throwing lane and missing open WRs.

This isn’t a NFL QB he was advertised to be pro ready plug and play but he is quite the project and his ceiling is too low to deal with these growing pains to hope for a good Andy Dalton type of QB.
The question is whether it’s correctable.
My general impression is that he just doesn’t have a real strong understanding and insight into what they are trying to do. He is slow reading which results in either giving up too early on a route (big issue in 2021) or throwing too late and missing the correct window. He doesn’t seem to have a good concept of firm and distance in his decision making and for the first time Sunday it stood out to me that he made a lot of bad throws. Most of his picks have been bad decisions and/or throws and I’m sure if I went back I’d see Sunday wasn’t the anomaly it was just the point it sunk in for me.
I don’t understand why a guy who is generally an accurate thrower is making so many bad throws. It does seem the rush is in his head and he may be seeing ghosts.

Theoretically all of these things are coachable but failure breeds lack of confidence and more failure and leads to being uncoachable.

If he has any chance to develop he better start immediately.

The question is whether it’s correctable.
My general impression is that he just doesn’t have a real strong understanding and insight into what they are trying to do. He is slow reading which results in either giving up too early on a route (big issue in 2021) or throwing too late and missing the correct window. He doesn’t seem to have a good concept of firm and distance in his decision making and for the first time Sunday it stood out to me that he made a lot of bad throws. Most of his picks have been bad decisions and/or throws and I’m sure if I went back I’d see Sunday wasn’t the anomaly it was just the point it sunk in for me.
I don’t understand why a guy who is generally an accurate thrower is making so many bad throws. It does seem the rush is in his head and he may be seeing ghosts.

Theoretically all of these things are coachable but failure breeds lack of confidence and more failure and leads to being uncoachable.

If he has any chance to develop he better start immediately.
if zach wilson can suddenly look competent, mac can be corrected. They need some leadership to rally around him and frankly he needs the ball to bounce his way and get a win somehow.

if zach wilson can suddenly look competent, mac can be corrected. They need some leadership to rally around him and frankly he needs the ball to bounce his way and get a win somehow.
But he is the biggest part of the problem right now.
Look at his 22 throws Sunday. There were many that a competent qb would complete.

But he is the biggest part of the problem right now.
Look at his 22 throws Sunday. There were many that a competent qb would complete.
Not denying . But its not s 3 yr sample size like wilson. i am just stumped what happened after the first two games. That two vs better teams.

Not denying . But its not s 3 yr sample size like wilson. i am just stumped what happened after the first two games. That two vs better teams.
It’s humans competing at the highest level. People are the sim of their experiences and change.

OPEN QUESTION
If the OL were healthy, how bad is this Offense? I contend that the talent would be better than in 2023.

1) Four starters are back. When they are healthy, we should expect them to better than in 2022.

2) the 5th starter has been a question mark at least since camp started.
Compared to Wynn or McDermott, how much worse a 5th OL are Anderson, Reiff, Lowe and Sow?

3) OK, the OG backups aren't OL starters. Are they really much worse than our 2022 interior OL backups? Do even remember their names? Ferentz, Russey, Murray, Hines? I think this year's is as good.

BOTTOM LINE
A) the talent at OL is at least as good as last year, certainly so when they are healthy.
B) We needed an additional solid starter. Our GM didn't get one.
C) Going into the season, given the injuries, we need to trade for an OL, even it took a 2nd or 3rd. The season depended on getting help. Our GM failed to buy the groceries.

D) Is the OL group much worse than 2022 with Bourne, Douglas, Parker, Thornton and Boutte? Sure, Schuster was a mistake. HOWEVER, better play by the OL, would make this an OK corps of receivers, below average, but OK. And sure, Belichick should continue to explore trades.
E) Are our RB's worse than in 2022? Of course not! Are our TE's better than in 2022? Of course nor.
F) Are our 2022 and 2023 draftees good enough to help the team? Of course they are.

With our injuries, we were a long shot to be in the playoffs. We have to blame something or somebody.

CAUSES OF CURRENT FAILURE
1) health of OL
2) Coach and GM allowing the Patricia fiasco which led to regression of QB.
3) GM not getting enough OL help in the off-season.
4) GM not getting enough OL help after OL injuries in camp and in the early games.
5) Quarterback play.
6) coaching of QB

IMO Mac has enough physical skills to be a franchise QB with a strong supporting cast. Despite the BB team building issues…Mac doesn’t have the drive, the attitude, the laser like focus, the sheer will to win. These traits can’t be teached.

He’s our Gen Z Tony Eason.

Last edited:
IMO Mac has enough physical skills to be a franchise QB with a strong supporting cast. Despite the BB team building issues…Mac doesn’t have the drive, the attitude, the laser like focus, the sheer will to win. These traits can’t be teached.

The kid is not leader material right now. Even guys like Ty Law have spoken up about that.

This team needs a leader more than ever.

The kid is not leader material right now. Even guys like Ty Law have spoken up about that.

That’s my point. He doesn’t have the mental / emotional aptitude to lead.

Yeah guys you'd think are leaders also probably don't get compared to McEnroe.

Yeah guys you'd think are leaders also probably don't get compared to McEnroe.

There's nothing wrong with being angry at yourself when something doesn't go as planned... But you have only a half-minute sometimes to execute the next play; so you gotta learn & live in a timely manner... And I've NEVER seen a professional QB react so damn poorly to adversity as this punk has, and throughout his career too! And it's not just his throwing either: the way he runs for the sticks on 3rd downs is maddening; and that 4th-down sneak attempt was down-right UnManly.

Corky doesn't have in him what it takes to be a successful NFL QB unless he's managing a SuperTeam like he had at 'Bama. Therefore, the whole If He Only Had Brock's & Tua's Weapons argument doesn't hold water.

So now that the humble level-headed sanctimonious posters think it's time for Bill to go, we should all praise their unique ability to analyze the obvious.

No X's and O's thread this week? I know there's probably not much good to analyse, but misery loves company as they say and I'd like to see if some of the things I noticed whilst watching the game through my fingers were as bad as I thought at the time.

This is so true from ninko. the offense didnt want to be there is what i saw

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back