PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread - Patriots Beat The Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Who?

23-0

Love him or hate him but captain might have had a point. Dawson and Slow don Juan both got burned with the only difference that Slow Don Juan got away with a slight PI.

It seems like annual 2nd round DB busts are the trade off for Super Bowls. It is what it is. It's annoying that BB doesn't learn from it but if it results in another SB this year I won't complain too much.

I think the 2 best sacks of the night were Collins' first one and Winovich's first one. Great combination of speed and strength there and both sacks came from individual effort and simply beating the other guy.

Man....our defense looks fun. What a time to be a Patriots fan.
Tom Savage should have stepped up into the pocket on the Collins sack.

Love him or hate him but captain might have had a point. Dawson and Slow don Juan both got burned with the only difference that Slow Don Juan got away with a slight PI.

It seems like annual 2nd round DB busts are the trade off for Super Bowls. It is what it is. It's annoying that BB doesn't learn from it but if it results in another SB this year I won't complain too much.
What, exactly, does Williams project to be? I’m assuming with his size that they’re looking at a potential Chung replacement? Is he an in the box safety?

I'm officially on the trade Dawson train. Time to try to recoup what they can. Maybe get a 5th?
Not sure that Dawson has done enough yet for anyone to trade anything for him though.

As much as it would suck to lose him - a guy like Jonathan Jones, in the last year of his contract, could fetch some big capital in a trade right now. He is s legit slot corner with exceptional speed in a contract year.

Nice to see Winovich just get up after the sack and not do some idiotic celebratory thing.. just doing his job. He seems to have learned a bit in TC...

Williams will be an in the box safety next year. Fans shouldn't think of him as a CB anymore

1. I know Berrios had a productive game, but to my eyes, #9 Olesheski looked more sudden both on routes and in PR's. Anyone else get that? If I were going to invest time in developing a #5 or 6 receiver, right now I think I put my efforts into Gunner.

My thoughts exactly. I hope they can smuggle Olszewski onto the PS and develop him. Berrios looked pretty one dimensional in the slot but still better in his breaks than Austin Carr ever was.

LaCosse gave me some hope for the TE position, and then of course he got hurt. :eek:

He looked better and more confident in that one seam route than Hollister at any point when he got to run those. Lets hope it is nothing serious.

The defense, which for the most part were back ups and never were's, was AWESOME. Maybe it was just how bad the Lions OL was, but it was pretty impressive all game. So many tough cuts to be made later on.

They seem to be farther ahead than they usually are plus they are so deep and versatile that this might really end up being the best D unit of the Patriots 2.0. And that is not easy because the stretch since 2014 (with the exception of 2017) has been pretty good.

Stidham was the real eye opener for me. Forget the obvious arm talent. He seems to be processing the field much faster now than he did earlier. His poise in the pocket was what stood out to me. Granted the protection was generally very good, but it still was something to work on.

Relatively speaking I agree. He is farther ahead than most expected. But the gulf between him and even Hoyer is still pretty sizeable. One had command against a mix of 1st/2nd teamers, knew where to go reading "preseason coverages" and showed a lot of trust into his OL. The other played against 3s, looked fine when things were going well but also panicked when they were not.

That being said if he stays on that trajectory he will be the backup next year.

Just watched the highlights and read most of the posts. Looks like most of us are happy with what we saw , albeit against a poor 2nd/3rd string Lions team. Most of the guys we wanted to do well did deliver and must feel pretty confident.

At the moment it still looks as if Tight end could be our weak spot but potentially with our receiver types we may get by , but I still suspect a trade is in the offering.

Hopefully I will watch the whole game and concentrate on LT to see how skipper did , but I have not seen too many bad comments.

Well it is onto the Titans who I think will be a bigger challenge

If you are referring to captain stone he sh.ts all over them all the time, so at some point a player will suck and he can claim he was right. However they have been the most successful team in league history during this era so no, he doesn’t have any point at all, he’s just a totally negative sack of sh.t who doesn’t know anything about football.

Missed game
Was BB actively running the D/scheme calling every play or did Mayo assume this role?

Right now considering what Berrios showed as a returner he has the inside track over other people. Though Meyers had the best day and Harry had the best plays. He looks ready to go and fill some of that big play void left by Gronk. It will be hard to keep both Meyers and Berrios.

Interesting to me Berrios is on the outside looking in. The only place he looked comfortable was the slot with impressive in/out cuts. I didn't think he flashed as a returner at all and had 1-2 bad decisions about cutting back across the field or going backwards. Hell, Olszweski looked better than him.

If Meyers doesn't get injured I think he is getting close to being a lock for the initial 53. He understands the offense, is where the QB expects him to be and does a lot of things already right at the LOS. At this point I don't think he has a particularly high ceiling but that is not particularly relevant here.

From everything we have heard Harris seemed to make plays all over camp so what happens in a glorified scrimmage will not make as much of a difference than what he does every day there.

OL - Honestly I can't say much here. I'll need to rewatch things a bit as it's too hard to evaluate each individual in real time. Overall it was sloppy but was it sloppy because of a few guys or everyone? I'll see about getting back to that.

I thought Froholdt looked promising.

DE - This is going to be tough. Wise and Bennett making it. Simon, Calhoun, Rivers and Winovich all showed something. Clearly they aren't cutting Winovich but what about the other guys? Rivers has been inconsistent in camp but has flashed at times and showed that again tonight. Calhoun has had one of the better camps and Simon is picking up where he left off. They can't keep all of them, particularly with Collins able to fill in in this role. They will need to make a hard choice here.

Maybe someone left an impression with Patricia and the Lions (or with Flores last year) and we will find a trade partner. But it is nice for a change to have hard choices at DE.

It wasn't the best night, which is odd for a unit that held the Lions to -2 passing yards in the first half. Williams was hit and miss. Jackson is still having issues with the line between physical and penalty inducing. Dawson looks like a lost cause.

There was at least one play early on where Dawson got screwed by Brooks not covering on the inside. I think it was the play where both of them collided in the first quarter.

We shall see where it all goes. But given our ridiculous depth at CB he might end up being a trade chip as well.

Dawson is in his second year and Williams just finished his second week in a NFL camp. Calling any of them busts is pretty ridiculous.

Also assuming that BB "doesn't learn" from failed picks is pretty absurd. We all know they consistently self scout every aspect all the time. This is one of those situations where people think they see some kind of pattern even though there is none. Picks fail and succeed for many different reasons.

The moment you agree with the Captain you should know that you are in big trouble. If you look through his posting history you will find enough examples of him calling player that developed into core contributors "busts" or "useless". It is always a safer bet in the NFL to do that because the numbers work in your favor. Once you are past the blue chippers it is much harder and takes more insight to do the opposite and actually point out good picks/players early on.

Last edited:
Interesting to me Berrios is on the outside looking in. The only place he looked comfortable was the slot with impressive in/out cuts. I didn't think he flashed as a returner at all and had 1-2 bad decisions about cutting back across the field or going backwards. Hell, Olszweski looked better than him.

If Meyers doesn't get injured I think he is getting close to being a lock for the initial 53. He understands the offense, is where the QB expects him to be and does a lot of things already right at the LOS. At this point I don't think he has a particularly high ceiling but that is not particularly relevant here.

From everything we have heard Harris seemed to make plays all over camp so what happens in a glorified scrimmage will not make as much of a difference than what he does every day there.

I thought Froholdt looked promising.

Maybe someone left an impression with Patricia and the Lions (or with Flores last year) and we will find a trade partner. But it is nice for a change to have hard choices at DE.

There was at least one play early on where Dawson got screwed by Brooks not covering on the inside. I think it was the play where both of them collided in the first quarter.

We shall see where it all goes. But given our ridiculous depth at CB he might end up being a trade chip as well.

Froholdt was the most promising new or rookie OL I've seen so far- his feet are pretty fast and he consistently got to the 2nd level for the next block. He executed a few difficult blocks in run support.

Nobody else really stood out.

Skipper is getting a clap on the back by the media for not allowing a hit or sack but he wasn't facing Trey Flowers. As of right now he looks completely mundane, and has a lot to work on. His pad level was too high and he got away with using just his strength.

Last night was a duck shooting gallery for our QB's, and that didn't present our OL with too much of a challenge.

Not sure that Dawson has done enough yet for anyone to trade anything for him though.

As much as it would suck to lose him - a guy like Jonathan Jones, in the last year of his contract, could fetch some big capital in a trade right now. He is s legit slot corner with exceptional speed in a contract year.

Dawson is gone, IMO. Good point re: Jones.

Dawson is gone, IMO. Good point re: Jones.
I can't possibly see how they can justify keeping Dawson over Crossen.

I just want to remind everyone that the Patriots were not playing their starters, for the most part, either.

Reminds me of the first preseason game of the 2011 season when the D suddenly felt much faster and more aggressive than the the year before. There were several posts about it.

I think this is a better D, though. Especially if Andre Carter doesn’t get hurt again.

I finally think we will have the aggressive fast defense we have always wanted. This is finally the year BB shows the world how great a D coordinator he is.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots