Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by captain insano, Aug 8, 2019.
Their making good progress on that front
Hope Harry is ok, Hoyer with probably the best performance of his Patriots career, good night for the receiving team, Stidham looks sharp and capable, defense looked strong with consistent pressure all night. Overall very good for a week 1 Preseason game against a team you just practiced with.
They looked good but I wouldn't get too hyped ...
The Lions are missing many players on the DL ...
But I was pleased with what we have so far ...
Get ready folks cause these guys played just like I coach em!
I was at work and missed the game so can someone tell me why Gost and Dawson got thumbs down from Reiss - or should I guess? Missed field goal(s) and burned for receptions/TDs?
Dawson had a penalty and gave up a 24 yd reception
I think SG missed a kick and had his name spelled wrong on his jersey...bad night right there.
- Jaime Collins seems to be taking the Patrick Chung path, even better the second time around.
- Against all odds, the Patriots WILL have an NFL-quality receiving corps. Ridiculously, I feel confident saying that even though I can't predict who it will consist of.
- Despite a big pass drop, Ryan Izzo had a really good game as a blocker.
- I feel good about every single position on the defense. Starters, depth, flexibility, versatility, everything. That's pretty amazing.
Which team is Tom playing for in 2021?
They'll either keep both or just Stidham if he's come along enough. We already know what we have in Hoyer.
Love opening up the stats on NFL.com and seeing Rivers with 2 sacks in the first half. Hopefully there’s highlights of all the 9 sacks.
Very good start to the preseason for him.
Get ready for tons of back shoulder connections from Brady to Harry.
If Harry was really hurt he would have gone back inside. I'm not too worried. I just hope he is ready for preseason game 2.
LaCosse worries me a lot more. I hope it isn't too serious. I'd hate to be without him and Watson in the first 4 games.
I watched the Detroit broadcast game live via nfl game pass. Those nitwit Detroit commentators knew absolutely nothing about the Patriots players. Yeah sure, It’s just a preseason game, but these guys weren’t even talking about the game. They were just spouting nonsense the entire time.
Those guys were obsessed with college sports.
Didn't see the entire game. In fact I missed most of the first half, but saw most of the 2nd and all the post game highlights.
1. I know Berrios had a productive game, but to my eyes, #9 Olesheski looked more sudden both on routes and in PR's. Anyone else get that? If I were going to invest time in developing a #5 or 6 receiver, right now I think I put my efforts into Gunner.
2. Harris made some good catches, but on those 2 long passes (both of which should have been PI's) he should have caught at least one of them. BTW- those 2 both great deep throws by Stidham
3. LaCosse gave me some hope for the TE position, and then of course he got hurt.
4. I would have preferred to see Skipper go up against TFlowers, but whoever he did go up against, he seemed to have done at least a decent job.
5. While the OL seemed to be pretty good against the pass rush, it didn't seem to open up any great holes on the run. Especially in the first half
6. The defense, which for the most part were back ups and never were's, was AWESOME. Maybe it was just how bad the Lions OL was, but it was pretty impressive all game. So many tough cuts to be made later on.
7 Obi and Brooks didn't make any "impact plays" but they were solid, and didn't look out of place. Almost every completion the Lions made was highly competitive.
8. Winovich, Rivers, and Simon all stood out to me. Collings is going to be a monster. I look for BB to go back to some of the schemes he used to unleash LT back in the day. BTW most of those sacks looked like they were all team generated, meaning one guy forcing the QB into another guy.
9. Danny Shelton made 2 nice plays on the first 2 runs of the game.
10. Looking back on the Lions poor game, I can't help but remember back in 2003 the Pats had a PS game vs Cincinnati They were down 30-0 at half time.....and we all know how that season turned out
11. Stidham was the real eye opener for me. Forget the obvious arm talent. He seems to be processing the field much faster now than he did earlier. His poise in the pocket was what stood out to me. Granted the protection was generally very good, but it still was something to work on.
12. BTW- Hoyer was slinging it pretty well as well. Given how well the D is playing, Hoyer could win 2 of 3 games for us in a pinch. Don't forget he once won 8 games for the Browns.....and that was before every player on the Browns was on pace to get into the HOF. (hey just repeating what I'm hearing)
How did the sacks from Rivers look? Meaning, what happened on the play?
Thoughts on today.
QB - They were going against so-so competition but it isn't like the Pats had established 1,000 yards WRs out there. Hoyer did what he should do against back ups and ran an offense he knows well. Stidham showed some promise and poise but also a few bad things. He did flash at times though. For a guy whose a project that's all you need.
WR - A lot of good things here. Harry Meyers and Berrios all showed well. Right now considering what Berrios showed as a returner he has the inside track over other people lower down the depth chart for the last spot. Thought Meyers had the best day and Harry had the best plays. He looks ready to go and fill some of that big play void left by Gronk. It will be hard to keep both Meyers and Berrios. Teams don't like to carry a lot of experienced WRs into the season. Harris to me is on the outside looking in. He showed some good and some bad and when the lights were on and it was full game speed he showed why he has been in the NFL for 3 years (now 4) without accomplishing much. He's good but is he NFL good? Someone said Meyers didn't show much special as far as being an athlete but he was consistent and played smart. I think that is fair and that can take you far in this league.
RB - There isn't much to read into this spot. Bolden will make team and be the emergency back. He showed again he is capable of filling that emergency roll. Some good runs and catches by him.
OL - Honestly I can't say much here. I'll need to rewatch things a bit as it's too hard to evaluate each individual in real time. Overall it was sloppy but was it sloppy because of a few guys or everyone? I'll see about getting back to that.
TE - This will be a weak spot of the team but it showed some good things. Watson looks good to go and getting 4 games off may be good for him. He's no spring chicken. LaCosse is hopefully going to be okay. He showed himself to be the serviceable player they thought he was overall. Wasn't a completely clean game though. None of the other TEs showed me much of anything and I don't think that will change.
DE - This is going to be tough. Wise and Bennett making it. Simon, Calhoun, Rivers and Winovich all showed something. Clearly they aren't cutting Winovich but what about the other guys? Rivers has been inconsistent in camp but has flashed at times and showed that again tonight. Calhoun has had one of the better camps and Simon is picking up where he left off. They can't keep all of them, particularly with Collins able to fill in in this role. They will need to make a hard choice here.
DT - The Lions didn't get much running in the middle. I think it was a good showing from our DTs. Not much to go on here though. Shelton had a good game. Butler was in there a bit but I don't recall seeing him much so I suppose he got pulled fast. I don't see anyone rising up from this spot to force a tough choice. Maybe Cowart but I don't think he showed enough tonight to enter that conversation. Maybe a PS candidate.
LB - Stacked. Bentley looked good. Collins looked borderline great. I don't know how everyone will get a chance to play. Add in Van Noy Hightower and Roberts who had a decent year last year and this unit will roll.
CB - It wasn't the best night, which is odd for a unit that held the Lions to -2 passing yards in the first half. Williams was hit and miss. Jackson is still having issues with the line between physical and penalty inducing. Dawson looks like a lost cause. Crossen and Ross had some good moments but won't see the field much even if they make it. Overall it was good but not great. The other units on D carried the night.
S - A very solid showing. Brooks made a few plays that have you feeling a bit more confident about if the STer is forced on the field in an emergency. Melifonwu has been having a good camp and it showed up tonight on the field with some very good plays. With the top 3 players locked in they will probably need to make a choice with Meli/Ebner/Brooks. I never considered Ebner truly in danger before tonight.
STs - Berrios made some nice bones here. The Punting battle will be tough but at this point i'm leaning Bailey. Some very good punt defense already. Gostowski stinks. Can they bring Gostkowski back please?
Very rare a team looks that complete, that balanced in the first p/s game.
Usually you're looking at these guys or this group & you have a lopsided game w bit & pieces to look from the good column. Not the case here & that obviously had a lot to w Brady not starting to look at Hoyer/Stidham but credit Bill & co big time. That was very impressive.
I pointed out after the draft I thought Bill made a clear effort to get more physical at the catch point/un general at WR & you saw that tonight. 11, Harry , Meyers & Gordon + RB'S = disaster for NFL D's. We don't need Josh to win another SB but he takes us to another level.
Also pointed out we have a bunch of studs all around the 250 range to rush the passer. The versatility on the front 7 looks pretty legit rn. Even the "bad" plays had some good stuff in them.
Tons of good stuff from some of the young(er) players. Froholdt, Williams, Rivers, Stidham, Meyers etc...
Fun game, wish I knew what was real and what was stuff that just looked good because of the situation and competition.
I want Meyers to be for real soooooo bad.
I think the 2 best sacks of the night were Collins' first one and Winovich's first one. Great combination of speed and strength there and both sacks came from individual effort and simply beating the other guy.
Man....our defense looks fun. What a time to be a Patriots fan.
Separate names with a comma.