PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Packers beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Packers ... 443 yds
Patriots ... 271 yds

Yet somehow we were in it.
You have pick 6, a TD that shouldn’t have counted and a drop in the end zone. And you have a close game

Last edited:
Should have gone for it on 4th down. No way they were going to hold. Zappe needs to get rid of the ball. Some head scratching offensive playcalls
LOL do you think this coaching staff has the balls to go for it on 4th down? Of course not, they are well aware that they are incompetent so they coach afraid.

Everyone knew including the packers on what they would run in that final series.
they were sold out for the stretch hand off which they were calling every time they ran it first up the middle. Fake that and
hit a short pass the opposite way. You just can't run a play the defense is expecting in that situation.

Play not to lose and you lose. Way too conservative in ot thats one we shoulda won. nonetheless glad we came to play today and this gives me some hope we can make a run if mac is back in a week or 2 .

Glad we finally got bryant off pr, immediate results. Now get his ass off the defense.

Jack jones is a player, secondary is formidable. Give credit to rodgers he was good when he needed to be

Good to see cannon out there and effective

Onto detroit, that ones a must win.

I think from this point forward Mac better bring his A game every single week or Zappe is nipping at his heels to put him on the bench… This kid showed a lot of composure in a very difficult situation and actually move the ball a lot better than Mac against tougher competition in a tougher environment….. Hope his ankle heals well so he can come back and prove himself
99 yards doesn't impress me much. Then again Matt Patricia was calling plays. Zappe needs to improve his field awareness significantly before I give him more credit, he held the ball too long several times and got sacked because of unawareness of pressure while in the pocket.

Bright side was Jones in punt returns and Jack Jones for the most part
Wynn needs to be benched permanently
Zappe did very well in his first start
I thought Zappe was pretty bad. He had the 2 play actions with wide open receivers. Besides that, he did nothing. No pocket awareness.

Moral victories don’t really matter but it was encouraging.
Agreed.

Thumbs up to
Cannon, Rham, Strange, the coverage (tough situation for them vs AR), the coaching

Wishes
That 2n5 in OT gains 2-3 yards…

If it didn't work, it was the wrong call. In particular, the second run was a very bad call. The Packers were all over that. That would have been the perfect time for play action. Take a chance. What's the worst thing that can happen... oh wait - it did. :(
pick six or strip sack. Maybe Bill believed Zappe was not ready

The worst thing that can happen, he throws an int and there's the game, he fumbles, there's the game.
I mean Harris or Stephenson could have fumble too. You can’t be afraid of everything.

You could have go for it with Mac and he could have also thrown a pick. at some point you have to trust your guys and take some risks.

LOL do you think this coaching staff has the balls to go for it on 4th down? Of course not, they are well aware that they are incompetent so they coach afraid.
In OT, after a great D and ST, I think you run on 3rd down as well. Hope to get even 3 yards, and go again at 4th.

Great from the rookie given everything. Team played mostly well.

That said, 1-3 and I hate moral victories. We are now last in division!
I hate moral victories they are what bad teams hang onto

I love how people think guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL is the reason they lost.
The D gave up points every time they pats took the lead.

did very well in his first start

Well technically not a start, I wonder how he would have done if he got starter's reps. His first start will be next week. After the Tua stuff Hoyer is sitting 1 game, which was usually Pats protocol to begin with.

Actually a bit intrigued for next week, Lions defense is bad bad.

99 yards doesn't impress me much. Then again Matt Patricia was calling plays. Zappe needs to improve his field awareness significantly before I give him more credit, he held the ball too long several times and got sacked because of unawareness of pressure while in the pocket.

Yeah zappe was fine with a clean pocket, especially for a rook. But the minute that started pushing back those were some happy feet.

Not into moral victories but overall they played well. Defense wasn’t able to close the game out but it’s Rodgers so you can’t begrudge them too much.

Zappe wasn’t bad considering the circumstances. But it was pretty clear that we were looking at a rookie out there, specifically some of the sacks and the two delay of games in a row. Unfortunate that we couldn’t pull it out.

Post game thoughts
1. This game reminds me a lot of how we started the season last year. Fought valiantly, couldn’t come up with the win but showing improvement that could post dividends later in the year.
2. The rookie class is starting to show its quality. Strange has been good all year, Jack Jones was good in his first start, Marcus Jones helped in the return game and Zappe was the first rookie to throw a td this season. The last two draft classes already are looking better than the drafts before that.
3. Pats really committed to the run with Mac out. This team should stay a run first squad when he gets back.
4. Losses are disappointing but I do think this team has shown gradual improvement week to week that will lead to wins.
5. I’d really like to see this team trade one of the receivers (if not two). There are already too many mouths to feed and I want Thornton to get a chance when he comes back.
6. Marcus Jones needs to take Myles Bryant’s slot corner snaps.
7. I don’t understand how Hunter Henry went from a dependable target last year (especially in the red zone to a non factor).

Of the three losses this was BY FAR the least disappointing. I’m not sure what some of you were expecting, a 3rd string rookie QB from Western Kentucky going into Lambeau Field & defeating the mighty Aaron Rodgers? In that scenario the score usually ends up something like 31-10. I thought our team played extremely well considering all that was stacked against them. Can we be a bit more positive? We’re still rebuilding, I wasn’t expecting more than 7-8 wins. We had 20 years of out-of-this-world success, 4-5 down years is to be expected. I’m proud of the way our guys fought tonight, hell of an effort. The Pats will rise again :)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back