PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post-Game Thread: NE@SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good and some not so good.

The defense couldn’t cover a running back or a tight end
49ers wide receivers were targeted 15 times and picked up only 4 catches for 52 yards, including one insane grab by former Patriots WR Chris Harper for 19 yards over CB Malcolm Butler. The cornerbacks had an excellent day.

All other Patriots coverage was a disaster. 49ers tight ends and running backs picked up 12 receptions for 154 yards and 2 touchdowns on 15 targets. All three incompletions were to TE Vance McDonald.

The Patriots linebackers continued to struggle getting into space to eliminate the wheel route to running backs, while Devin McCourty had a rare off day in coverage.
5 instant observations from the Patriots 30-17 victory over the 49ers

edelman was targeted 17 times ! wow.
There was no other typically every down receiver - Amendola and Mitchell play limited snaps. Edelman runs option routes which accounts for all the deep throws. You run what the defense gives.

Steelers Mike Tomlin critical of officials during Browns' game

Tomlin the scumbag crying again...after a WIN! What a goddamned POS jerkoff this azzole is...

Whining about perceived no-calls amidst a blowout in his teams favor. And for the turd cherry on top of the proverbial cake, both teams had realatively even numbers in terms of penalties and yardage.

Tomlin is a pathetic tool posing as a head coach. It's idiots like him running their mouths about officiating that contribute to this phenomenon where referees over-regulate these games now, rendering them borderline unwatchable and driving down ratings.

Last edited:
Anytime Brady throws 17 balls to Edelman and he only catches 8 of them, then regardless of the overthrow, this needs more explanation.
Deep balls due to option routes - on any play the route run depends on presnap read.

Tomlin still isn't as bad as John Harbaugh.

Anytime Brady throws 17 balls to Edelman and he only catches 8 of them, then regardless of the overthrow, this needs more explanation.

Hill addressed that:
QB Tom Brady focused way too much on WR Julian Edelman
In the first half of the game, Brady was 6 of 8 for 43 yards and a touchdown when throwing towards Edelman. He was just 2 for 9 for 34 yards in the second half when throwing to Edelman. Brady finished the day 0 for 6 on passes to Edelman that traveled 15+ yards down the field, meaning that all of Edelman’s production came closer to the line of scrimmage.

It’s pretty clear that the Patriots missed WR Chris Hogan and TE Rob Gronkowski and their ability to stretch the field.

Petty & Goff next.

Two more trainwreck QBs to experiment and figure things out on defense. Some progress today.
I think both can be good young QBs, Petty has a great arm and some good touch on his passes. Jets ALWAYS get up for our Pats and always play us well. Not expecting a blow out (HOPING the Pats blow them out though). Rams are better than the Jets. No EASY games the rest of the way.

Quite a stat there.

But White was huge today receiving and rushing after the catch
bulldozing guys for the goalline and 3rd down line.

Here's White's nice looking numbers:
6 63 10.5 1 25 6

Ya no clue why a Bay area guy would throw 17 times to another Bay area guy the first time they've played in the Bay area together.

I wish I lived in the Bay Area.

Quite a stat there.

But White was huge today receiving and rushing after the catch bulldozing guys for the goalline and 3rd down line.

Here's White's nice looking numbers:

6 63 10.5 1 25 6

For me, the biggest thing he did was put his head down and power through tackles for a first down and his TD. His best game for me.

Nice to be 8-2 and get back in the win column. Not a perfect performance, but the defense definitely played better toward the later stages of the game and it sure was nice to see Dion back and nice to see Malcom contributing!!!!

Fixed it for ya :)

Wheel routes are this teams death blow

On the one wheel route that really hurt the Pats early on, Hightower got caught up in a pick and that's why he was so far out of position. I can't really fault him for that one, although I agree that covering these routes remains a concern until the Pats prove they can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes