PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that surprised, given what we were seeing in pre-season. We were trending this way. (that is, toward an UGLY first game.) I thought it would be closer, but I did call it a MIA win in the predict-the-score thread.

A GDT of insane overreaction really helps soften the blow though, thanks for that. We're not just bad right now, having trouble getting the O straight or whatever, we're the bottom offense in the NFL.

It was not a game you can get super-thrilled about describing the bright spots of.
They started 0 and 2 last year and went on a run. pats had a lot of ugly September's with Brady too.

Some of our problems can easily improve throughout the season. What bothered me was our lack of urgency. We are down three scores and have the nerve to waste clock. Our scoring drive in the 3rd took nearly 8 minutes. We should have gone deep much sooner and there were plays to be made such as that deep miss to Agoholor. One of Agoholor or Bourne should be on the field at all times imo.

Our defense as a whole wasn't that bad. One bad play before the half is what stood out. Also Myles Bryant is annoying with those missed tackles and not intercepting gift balls. I also think it was a mistake to not play Jennings today.

I am more worried about the damage to Mac long term.

If this continue the whole season, you might as well start looking for his replacement because he won't recover from not having someone to develop him. Fat man is not it.

One thing that stood out to me as the game went on was Mac’s accuracy with short passes seemed to get pretty poor. I found that sort of odd.
I was about to say it's seemed weird to me going back a couple games into the preseason, that everybody seemed to think he was regressing, wonder if there's a physical injury component, then I saw this...
Annnnnd the Bailey Zappe era begins... I KID I hope...

I believed 0-4 was a more likely than not start to the season. I still believe that.

Really, the referendum on BB’s decisions/fit moving forward leading this team will come in the remainder of the season after that.

Pats haven’t been spectacular in the first part of the season for a while so not cause for panic.

That said, offense looks completely broken…which is exactly why many questioned the strategy of MP and JJ leading it.

I hate this, but my gut is that we have a 4-6 win team .

The question is…why did we need to spend massive $$$ last year for this product?

I suspect RK will be asking similar questions shortly but we’ll see.

Some of these offensive playcalls are very concerning. The 2nd and 17 run, the 3rd and 4 inside run.

We have our work cut out for sure. It's week one so of course still plenty of time to iron out certain things out like the playcalling / turnovers / etc.

Main concerns for me are refusing to play Bourne for whatever reason and whether that continues. Refusing to bench Bryant for whatever reason and whether that continues. Strange getting benched, not good for your first round pick. Phillips status for next week and moving forth

Looks like Bourne was serving some sort of stfu penalty, but who knows.

As for playcalling: somebody tell me, were we too conservative or not conservative enough? Pick 1. Take more risks, do more predictable things. Which is it?

So why is our best receiver only getting 2 snaps?
If you mean Bourne, how come Meyers has always outplayed him?

Is it too early to start talking about the Will Anderson Jr sweepstakes?
Probably trading the pick for a couple of 4ths and some 3rd round project. J/K… i think. Lol

Since there will be plenty of people focusing on the negatives, I will point out some of the positives.

The Pats’ defense only gave up 13 points today. The defense looks to be pretty good even without JC Jackson and a revamped LB Corp. I mean they still need to work on some things, but a positive sign for that side of the ball.

Dugger looks like he is getting to the next level. He looks to be a Pro Bowler.

Judon looks to be closer to the first half of last year’s form compared to post bye week last year.

The run defense was great today. Consider it was a major liability last year, that is a huge positive. Granted Miami is not a great running team.

Looks like Jake Bailey is back to his All Pro form. The placements of his punts were perfect.

It is the first game of the season. You look at the first week of the season every year and there are teams that get blown out that make it into the playoffs and teams that look like world beaters the first week and miss the playoffs. It is a long season and there are a lot football to be played.
Miami has a LOT of speed at RB this year, their durability is suspect.

Looks like Bourne was serving some sort of stfu penalty, but who knows.

As for playcalling: somebody tell me, were we too conservative or not conservative enough? Pick 1. Take more risks, do more predictable things. Which is it?
Play calling seemed fine, though I'm sure we would have liked to run more had we not spotted Miami 14 points. Mac made too many bad throws: throwing into triple coverage, going too far down field on short downs, lofting passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes