PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I'll focus on the positives since most will probably dissect the negatives over and over again.

• Mac Jones took another step today. For the most part, he was flawless with what he was given. The strip sack was on Wynn and the INT was on Bourne. He had another throw that could have been INTed, but overall he was on the money for most of the game. And he showed people that he can throw down the field. I am sorry Jones detractors, I don't see that Jones has a pea shooter for an arm. He doesn't have the best arm strength out there, but the deeper ball he threw today were on the money.
  • The o-line is getting better. They still are not great. But I think when Brown comes back and is healthy, they have enough pieces to put mix and match a decent line. I would still put Owenu outside. I think Wynn is done. I am not sure he can even kicked inside and be trusted at this point. But I think they can find a way to protect Jones. The inside of the line did a great job opening holes for the running game.
  • Harris and Stevenson can be a good two headed monster if used right. They still need a receiving back, but those two can do a lot of damage on the ground.
  • I know they didn't get any sacks, but I think the pass rush put enough pressure in a lot of key spots to make Prescott shakey. Unfortunately by the end of the game, they were gassed.
  • This team is a great red zone defense. The plays they made in the red zone today were amazing. I didn't like how they played on pass defense between the 20s especially early in the game where they played a lot of soft zone. But they stopped drives they had no business stopping in the red zone.
  • The run defense definitely has gotten significantly better. The Cowboys have the best RB combo in the league and held them to 3.9 YPC and early in the game, they totally shut down the Cowboys' running game.
  • Not exactly news, but Judon is an elite defender that teams need to scheme against.

Last edited:
Agholer drop in OT was terrible. If he makes the catch there's room to run for a big gain. Big difference between him and CeeDeeLamb. We overpaid for a guy who's done nothing for us. I hope BB gets over the idea of not drafting a top notch wide receiver. That was a big difference in our offense today. No question Meyers and Bourne played well but they are not in the same class as Dallas WR's. Mac showed he can throw the long ball.

The same Meyers and Bourne who also had key drops that cost the Patriots. One killing a drive and the other leading to a pick six.
Agholor also had a big catches earlier in the game that extended a drive.

The Pats have attempted to draft "top notch" Wide Receivers. They've not had success. BB focuses his 1st round picks mostly on the LINES and LB. With a pretty high success rate. Before you start yammering on about the Steelers or Metcalf, it's been talked about ad nauseum, here and the Patriots have won 6 SBs without that "DIVA" WR. Maybe they'll need to change, but currently there are other issues on Both Lines that need to be addressed.

Directly prior to the start of OT, I told my buddy that Mcdaniels would call for a run on 1st and 2nd downs and then pass on 3rd.

And thats the way it went.

When will Kraft get the net that the Pats have a losing record in these hideous uniforms?

It was obvious they ditched these after 2003 because of this. Why the heck were they brought back in 2018 and made the primary uniforms for 2020?
Because we knew some lean years were ahead of us. If I remember correctly we can get rid of these after 5 years? Expect them to be gone after the 2024 season.

This game should at least bury the notion that Mac can't throw.
Would love to see his arm strength develop though that throw to Bourne couldve easily been INT due to the lack of juice

What i don't understand is why we spent a record amount on FA to be a 2-4 team. BB and the rest of management obviously over estimated where we could go.

Defense is not the problem; the Dallas O is fantastic - they are up there with Tampa & LA. They can run the ball as well and cause turnovers on D - if they keep Big Mike locked in locker room there is a better than good chance they make the NFCCG.

Mac is fine - playing like the 3rd best QB in this draft. He is holding the ball too long in the pocket, but his ability to come back after that awful Pick 6 was beyond admirable. I think he can be a better than average QB for us
I don't mind spending the money. Probably had their eyes set on a rookie QB so you wanna surround him with talent , which they have and I think that is part of the reason why Mac has looked better than the other rookies. It just hasn't translated to wins due to poor OL play and this team being the anti-clutch. Plus most of the contracts aren't long term so they hopefully won't have us in a poor cap situation in a year or 2 when they are hopefully ready to be a winning team.

Mac is fine - playing like the 3rd best QB in this draft. He is holding the ball too long in the pocket, but his ability to come back after that awful Pick 6 was beyond admirable. I think he can be a better than average QB for us

Which rookie QB is playing better than he is? Maybe Lawrence. Maybe. He has been far from perfect but at worst he has been the 2nd most impressive QB in this rookie class.

The OL and secondary are bad and Bill seems to have whiffed on his big money playmakers (Smith, Agholor). Veteran playmakers like McCourty, HT, Slater are no longer making plays. Coaches make too many puzzling decisions. Lots of holes and that’s why they’re 2-4.

Real talk.

I give BB until 2022 to show that he can be a contender again. EDIT - This means getting to the playoffs and not embarassing themselves

If he doesnt, I think it would be time for new blood. And I dont mean Chris Griffin Jr.

The moment our td was nullified and Mac fumbled the following play is when our offense died. They lost faith in the oline right after that play and tried putting in Wynn when they should've stuck with the starting line. We just needed more from our offense today and for our wrs to make those catches in the fourth/ot.

I give props to our short yardage and redzone defense but outside of that was not good. Barmore and Judon did an admirable job but everyone else was pretty ineffective. All of our linebackers struggle to get off of blocks and just tackling in general. I miss the Hightower that used to be a difference maker. Hightower used to be an elite blitzer but he can't even do that anymore.

Yes it was an entertaining game, but make no mistake about it: we were dominated. The refs kept us in this game. I would say the refs were our friend if they didn't remove Meyer's td. Did Meyers make a deal with the devil for success but in the fine print said no tds? This is getting ridiculous. How many more losses until we are eliminated from playoff contention? We are playing with training wheels as if we have games to spare. Unleash our offense. If Mac gets hurt than resign Cam. Cam is capable of losing just as much but without style points.

1. Mac Jones continues to impress.
2. I like the rotation of Harris and Stephenson.
3. Judon, Barmore, Jackson, Dugger, and Uche make up a promising core on defense.
4. Mac Jones needs more weapons around him. The lack of a 3rd down RB is especially noticeable.
5. We should have given Agholor and Smith’s money to Thuney and Gilmore.
#5 is right on the money stuff. Those two would make a big difference.

Because we knew some lean years were ahead of us. If I remember correctly we can get rid of these after 5 years? Expect them to be gone after the 2024 season.
They can easily tweak them just by bringing back the silver pants for home or away games. Rams have made tweaks to their jersey this year making another alternate.

Bobby doesn’t have any excuses.

The agular drop absolutely destroyed us and probably cost us this game.

1.) Jones, barmore and Stevenson were really good draft picks,

2.) Jones is surrounded by the worst set of skill position players in the nfl! It is Meyers and the bad clowns show. Bourne and agular drop too many passes! Henry is average. Smith is a waste of time.

3.) our defense was on the field for 40 minutes this game. They deserve nothing but props for their work today.

4.) I am feeling really good about this team going forward.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back