PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
The one positive I will take away from this game is the play of Mac Jones. He shows maturity beyond his years.
Yeah… when he’s able to or allowed to uncork one. Outside of that, he’s playing defenses who are giving him looks as if we are in the red zone the entire time. It’s nothing but slants, crossers, and screens with the occasional 9-route up the seam for 15 yards. Unfortunately, with the way the line is playing, he pretty much can’t hold the ball much longer than he does or he’s getting smoked. I legitimately have no idea why we gave big money to Agholor. He has a history of costly drops and another one happened tonight when he had room to run after the catch.

In all, they’re at least competitive in these games. I guess that’s where I’m at now as a fan. The arrow is pointing in the right direction, but this isn’t the year. It will take another season or two to dig our way out of the mediocre to bad drafts from 2014-2019.

The $25M monster tight end duo had 3 catches for 34 yards and a TD.
They started off hot, then disappeared.

Bourne, our best WR the last 2 game. I think he had 3 targets

Why is Harry still on the field?

What sucks is that I was prepared to lose games against teams like this and I was ready for mistakes to be made, because they were rolling with a rookie QB week 1... but after 6 weeks that QB has very rarely been at fault and has often been the guy buoying the entire effort, so to lose anyway is really rough.

It is what it is, though. 4 losses. 3 of those 4 being one-score games. One loss against the defending champs, one against a definite title contender, one that really should've been a win if the RB doesn't randomly fumble inside then 10 when you only need a chip-shot field goal. It's not like they're getting the barn doors blown off, they're hanging in there against powerhouse teams.

They might not be a 10+ win team this year but I am still hopeful that they'll figure themselves out soon and win some of these close ones. Rest of the slate is Jets (1-4), Chargers (4-2), Panthers (3-3), Browns (3-3), Falcons (2-3), Titans (3-2), Bills (2x) (4-1), Colts (2-4), Jaguars (1-5), Dolphins (1-5). Based on the level of play displayed against Tampa and Dallas, if they can just make fewer mistakes, they can win most of those.

Directly prior to the start of OT, I told my buddy that Mcdaniels would call for a run on 1st and 2nd downs and then pass on 3rd.

And thats the way it went.

No, it was a pass to Agholar who dropped it on first down.

You clearly don't have a clue WTF you are talking about. So you shouldn't be calling ANYONE an idiot.

The play calling in OT was aggressive.. Or did you not see the Deep slant that Agholor dropped on 2nd down? That's the coach's fault, according to you.

You also don't seem to understand that Mac has the ability to audible at the line when he wants. He's said as much. SMH.
If he caught that it's a whole different overtime. He had room to run and with a good move had a lot of room to run.
I'll focus on the positives since most will probably dissect the negatives over and over again.

• Mac Jones took another step today. For the most part, he was flawless with what he was given. The strip sack was on Wynn and the INT was on Bourne. He had another throw that could have been INTed, but overall he was on the money for most of the game. And he showed people that he can throw down the field. I am sorry Jones detractors, I don't see that Jones has a pee shooter for an arm. He doesn't have the best arm strength out there, but the deeper ball he threw today were on the money.
  • The o-line is getting better. They still are not great. But I think when Brown comes back and is healthy, they have enough pieces to put mix and match a decent line. I would still put Owenu outside. I think Wynn is done. I am not sure he can even kicked inside and be trusted at this point. But I think they can find a way to protect Jones. The inside of the line did a great job opening holes for the running game.
  • Harris and Stevenson can be a good two headed monster if used right. They still need a receiving back, but those two can do a lot of damage on the ground.
  • I know they didn't get any sacks, but I think the pass rush put enough pressure in a lot of key spots to make Prescott shakey. Unfortunately by the end of the game, they were gassed.
  • This team is a great red zone defense. The plays they made in the red zone today were amazing. I didn't like how they played on pass defense between the 20s especially early in the game where they played a lot of soft zone. But they stopped drives they had no business stopping in the red zone.
  • The run defense definitely has gotten significantly better. The Cowboys have the best RB combo in the league and held them to 3.9 YPC and early in the game, they totally shut down the Cowboys' running game.
  • Not exactly news, but Judon is an elite defender that teams need to scheme against.
Agree with all of it, Im actually encouraged because we have a pro QB.

If by chance Flores and judge are let go by their respective teams I would make it a priority to get them back in the fold. They would immediately upgrade our group of assistants.

Players left it all out there. Horrible coaching by BB and Josh.
This. Definitely exposed pretty horrific play calling on O…..BB also looking less and less competent post Brady ….hope he turns it around

That’s what you want this year… something to build on for the future. This isn’t a contender
Nah, it's disappointing.

This isn't some bad team - we went 7-9 last year and spent a ton of money on free agents, and our rookie QB is NOT playing like some basic rookie - He's playing really well.

I'm disappointed. The coaching, play calling, lack of week-to-week adjustments, and inability to win games etc. Should not be handwaived in my opinion

I would trade Lawrence for Mac right now if the opportunity was there.
Imagine Lawrence with this coaching staff.

Reactions: sb1
Yes they’ve been “close” in 3 of their 4 losses… but lousy football teams usually are close. That’s why they’re lousy. Not good enough to get over the hump. The difference between a great team and a bad one is usually pretty small in the NFL.

The Patriots offense is close. A healthy Oline and a stud wideout is what they need.

No catches today by N’Keal Harry, a first-rounder who is on his way to being traded or even released.

imagine a CeeDee Lamb opening the field vertically for Mac.
N'Keal Harry has been the Alexandre Daigle of NFL picks.

Henry had a decent game. Not great. But he did make the most of his three catches.

Jonnu Smith has been a waste thus far. They might as well activate Asiasi and see what he can do.

You clearly don't have a clue WTF you are talking about. So you shouldn't be calling ANYONE an idiot.

The play calling in OT was aggressive.. Or did you not see the Deep slant that Agholor dropped on 2nd down? That's the coach's fault, according to you.

You also don't seem to understand that Mac has the ability to audible at the line when he wants. He's said as much. SMH.
If he caught that it's a whole different overtime. He had room to run and with a good move had a lot of room to run.
I'll focus on the positives since most will probably dissect the negatives over and over again.

• Mac Jones took another step today. For the most part, he was flawless with what he was given. The strip sack was on Wynn and the INT was on Bourne. He had another throw that could have been INTed, but overall he was on the money for most of the game. And he showed people that he can throw down the field. I am sorry Jones detractors, I don't see that Jones has a pee shooter for an arm. He doesn't have the best arm strength out there, but the deeper ball he threw today were on the money.
  • The o-line is getting better. They still are not great. But I think when Brown comes back and is healthy, they have enough pieces to put mix and match a decent line. I would still put Owenu outside. I think Wynn is done. I am not sure he can even kicked inside and be trusted at this point. But I think they can find a way to protect Jones. The inside of the line did a great job opening holes for the running game.
  • Harris and Stevenson can be a good two headed monster if used right. They still need a receiving back, but those two can do a lot of damage on the ground.
  • I know they didn't get any sacks, but I think the pass rush put enough pressure in a lot of key spots to make Prescott shakey. Unfortunately by the end of the game, they were gassed.
  • This team is a great red zone defense. The plays they made in the red zone today were amazing. I didn't like how they played on pass defense between the 20s especially early in the game where they played a lot of soft zone. But they stopped drives they had no business stopping in the red zone.
  • The run defense definitely has gotten significantly better. The Cowboys have the best RB combo in the league and held them to 3.9 YPC and early in the game, they totally shut down the Cowboys' running game.
  • Not exactly news, but Judon is an elite defender that teams need to scheme against.
Agree with all of it, Im actually encouraged because we have a pro QB.
They still have twice as many catches as the TE's did all of last year and this is game 6.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back