PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats-Titans pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would much rather watch the patriots win a game than lose a game. I have watched a number of Superbowls that were great games but the patriots lost and every single one of those games ****ing sucked.

****y

OT but a FYI for my good buddy JimNance...."already pulled a Kermit the frog at midnight in the oasis," means he CROAKED...while listening to Maria Muldaur on his ear buds...hope that clears up any miscommunication...I'm more cornfused than ever though

OT but a FYI for my good buddy JimNance...."already pulled a Kermit the frog at midnight in the oasis," means he CROAKED...while listening to Maria Muldaur on his ear buds...hope that clears up any miscommunication...I'm more cornfused than ever though

Yes, I'm suddenly experiencing clarity where confusion had been.

Not all injuries are created equal, and that’s a big reason why. And you’ve identified part of the explanation. We‘ve lost a lot of players to injury, but exactly who are they? Gilmore…. but he essentially was never part of this team anyway. Brown, White, Jones…. good players, but Brown is back at the moment, and Bolden and Bryant have done a reasonable job trying to cover for the others’ production. Who else? Winovich. Uche. Cowart. Anderson. Those aren’t your core guys. Keene and Jennings might not have even made the roster if it weren’t for IR. The IR has been used more for roster management for those guys - bumps and bruises that guys may usually play through - than real injuries.

Other teams have lost actual core guys. I suppose some of this is BB roster-building — more middle class players so the team won’t be relying on fringe talent for replacements when stars get injured. But that’s not all it. We can all identify players on this team whose loss would sink this ship. I will not speak any further for fear of jinxing anything, just to say that other teams’ injuries have cut more to the bone this year than ours have to this point.
But you should also count Dont’a as injured for the first 3-6 games.

CV19 opt out year recovery counts as an injury in my book.

also you discount Brown’s injury as ‘Brown is back at the moment”; but his absence was the largest part of the OL poor play for 8 weeks that lead to at least 2 losses, if not more.

Yes, I'm suddenly experiencing clarity where confusion had been.
full-metal-jacket-gif-2.gif

The Pats should win this game fairly easy, the titans pretty much lost anyone that mattered on offense at this point, I am not even sure who they are going to throw to. He could be low scoring unless Tanny gets pick happy, but pats should get this one.

Attrition is to be expected, more so with a 17-game regular season and the Pats also have lost important contributors for periods of time (White, etc.). So when people try to put an asterisk next to Patriot wins over short-handed teams like the Browns, Falcons and hopefully Tennessee, I pay no attention. New England has had a built-in excuse for mediocrity all season long starting a rookie quarterback and look what they've done with it. So, if the Titans are, indeed, a top-flight team with great coaching, they should find a way to be competitive Sunday and I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it close despite key players being out.

...and losing 2 of the 3 starting CB's when CB depth was a supposed weakness going in to the season; losing #1 and #2 RB's for several games; having to shuffle to OL due to injuries for the first half of the season, etc. Funny how none of this is headline news now.

Agree completely. Every team has significant injuries, if you can’t overcome them you don’t win the Lombardi, so injuries aren’t an excuse. And you are right that Belichick’s cap and roster construction is all about being able to function pretty much regardless of who goes out. This makes fans nuts when they see players they live leave in free agency, and binkies get cut so he can fill out their special teams roles, but ultimately he’s right even though this means losing some good players. The Patriots were able to overcome their early season injuries and are a deep and strong team heading into the playoff stretch, and while that isn’t a guarantee of success it does give them the best possible chance, especially at this point in their development
Not sure I would compare the pats injuries to the titans. lol We didnt lose Gilmore, he never played this year. The titans on offense right now, lost 3 of their best players, now do that to the pats and see how the offense would be? I mean I dont care, everyone goes through injuries and they cost games at times, but comparing the pats to the titans on the injury front is silly.

...and losing 2 of the 3 starting CB's when CB depth was a supposed weakness going in to the season; losing #1 and #2 RB's for several games; having to shuffle to OL due to injuries for the first half of the season, etc. Funny how none of this is headline news now.
Except during that time the pats were losing. Are you folks really listing Gilmore? He never played this year. The pats have about 20 safeties and corners. lol not sure depth was ever a weakness. But yeah when the pats had those injuries they lost, so not sure your point, they didnt overcome the injuries, the players got healthy. The titans were winning when they had all their players too.

Except during that time the pats were losing. Are you folks really listing Gilmore? He never played this year. The pats have about 20 safeties and corners. lol not sure depth was ever a weakness. But yeah when the pats had those injuries they lost, so not sure your point, they didnt overcome the injuries, the players got healthy. The titans were winning when they had all their players too.

Gilmore was the #1 corner when the personnel planning was done over the summer. Jones was #2. Jackson and Mills were tied for #3. The reason the Pats have "about 20 safeties and corners" is to plan for injuries, and have playable depth. So it wasn't a weakness, because that's a core principle of how the team is built. The two #3 guys are now #1 and #2, with other guys filling in as the game plan dictates.

And they were losing then because another core principle of how this team operates is to use the early part of the season to put discipline and roles into place. This is even more the case than just a few years ago, because the summer practice time keeps getting truncated. As the coach has always said, the season starts after Thanksgiving. They don't want to lose, of course, but most important is getting the team functioning well.

If the Titans are losing now, it is because they didn't plan for playable depth like the Patriots did.

Everything you've said speaks precisely to my point; you are supporting my thesis to the letter.

Gilmore was the #1 corner when the personnel planning was done over the summer. The reason the Pats have "about 20 safeties and corners" is to plan for injuries, and have playable depth. So it wasn't a weakness, because that's a core principle of how the team is built.

And they were losing then because another core principle of how this team operates is to use the early part of the season to put discipline and roles into place. This is even more the case than just a few years ago, because the summer practice time keeps getting truncated. As the coach has always said, the season starts after Thanksgiving. They don't want to lose, of course, but most important is getting the team functioning well.

If the Titans are losing now, it is because they didn't plan for playable depth like the Patriots did.

Everything you've said speaks precisely to my point; you are supporting my thesis to the letter.
Like I said, it was not a weakness, not sure what you are arguing. Umm there is a salary cap, planning for injuries only go so far when you lose 3 of your best offensive players. If the pats lose Harris, and their two top receivers, it will be a pretty big struggle the next week. You can only plan so much, when your top players go down, you do not do as well. Injuries have killed seasons before including Patriots seasons. Was it because the pats didnt plan enough?

Does saying it twice make you feel more manly? Let’s see, my guess is you are in your 30’s. Played high school football. Sucked, and now live for those glory days when you sat on the bench at Brockton and got to dream of getting into a game in a big blow out!

for a “newbie” bandwagon fan, you sure do like a lot of my posts
I have found that when a student occasionally gets something, however trivial, occasionally right that positive feedback helps.
Also works well with the mentally disturbed. Keeps them on the rails longer.

In case you haven't figured it out I never said injuries don't happen. I said I'd rather see our best vs their best. That's it.

You responded with another queef post. Take a sip of your soy milk and think about the argument you're in.
Tony, Tony, Tony...

You're soooo 1980, wrapping some weird version of masculinity around fables.

Guys, the Pats have lost Gilmore and Jones for the year. That's 2/3 of the starting CB depth, at a position that most posters here saw as having weak depth when the season started. And somehow, the D is stronger than we've seen in years. Jeez, I wonder why?

I've no sympathy for the Titans, Bills or any other team that has injuries at key positions and poor depth, especially this late in the year. This is about the Pats philosophy (strong middle class) vs. much followed super star strategy that makes quality depth much more difficult. This is a validation of who the Pats are. We can't back down from that.
I keep saying it because I love rubbing it in: BB builds a redundant team. Always. To the chagrin of the "we-need-a-#1-WR!!!!" crowd, BB, quietly builds a team with five different potential targets on almost every play. Harris goes down - not missed. Collins? Uche? Winovich? No problem.

We lost Gilmore (if he had been healthy, he either would still be here or we'd have gotten a lot for him) and Jonathan Jones, and snap, snap, Defense is shut-down quality.

Jonnu Smith out? No problem. Same would be true if it was Henry.

Harry getting more snaps than Bourne last couple of weeks.

Redundant team. He goes into the Ironforge Auction House and laughs at the guys laying out thousands of gold for apiece that's a hair's breadth better than the one he got for 1/10th the price.

And when they pay that much, they have to utilize the star - many targets, ergo, many injuries.

Fantasy be damned, BB knows how to win consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft