PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots rookie jersey numbers

#87 should never be worn by another Patriot’s player. Gronk will be a 1st ballot hall of famer, possibly the 2nd greatest Patriot ever, and possibly the best TE of all time. Maybe that doesn’t matter Belichick.

He would have had his number retired here if he hadn't forced BB to trade him to Tampa Bay. By reactivating when he did, he would have put the Pats way over the cap and he knew it and used it as leverage in forcing a trade to Tampa Bay (otherwise the Pats would have just traded him to the highest bidder, in which case he would have re-retired, voiding the trade).

In the end, he out BB'ed BB, and that's probably not sitting well with BB.

If you are going to retire numbers, I find it difficult to argue the line should be higher than Gronk.

If you are going to retire numbers, I find it difficult to argue the line should be higher than Gronk.
In a sport where there are 99 two-digit numbers issued and 80 players in training camp, retiring uniform numbers is a bad idea.

Not a Bad Idea like, “Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, when am I going to make it back to Haiti?” But a bad idea nonetheless.

Well in case anyone has a number 1 jersey they could just buy a zero and sew it alongside and save some money (thats the Scotsman in me)

Other than the seven officially retired numbers, Tippett's unofficially retired 56, Brady's 12, Edelman's 11, and Devin Smith's 82 (released two weeks ago; Nixon the only possible option to have taken it since then), there's only one other number not on the roster right now.

It looks like Thuney's 62 may be getting a year off.

In a sport where there are 99 two-digit numbers issued and 80 players in training camp, retiring uniform numbers is a bad idea.

Not a Bad Idea like, “Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, when am I going to make it back to Haiti?” But a bad idea nonetheless.
So you are going to reissue 12? My comment was conditional on numbers being retired. The other problem is running out of numbers. Unless we use three digits.

So you are going to reissue 12? My comment was conditional on numbers being retired. The other problem is running out of numbers. Unless we use three digits.
Yes I would. I would have no retired numbers at all in the NFL unless the league moves to 3 digit numbers. It’ll eventually lead to a slippery sloe and you’ll wind up in the situation we’re currently in, where lesser players than Gronk have retired numbers. Besides, there are much better ways to honor Brady. Put his jersey with his name on it under each of the banners hanging in the stadium, for example.

There are an infinite number of natural numbers, so why stick with one or two digits. Pats could then retire as many numbers as they wanted to.

There are an infinite number of natural numbers, so why stick with one or two digits. Pats could then retire as many numbers as they wanted to.

"No one should every wear number 527 ever again once Wingding MacAdoo retires!"

I’m surprised how much adults care about numbers. I care about winning. Literally wouldn’t care one bit if the rookie PK had taken 12. Assigning a number to a random player who’ll never amount to much doesn’t undo years of production of a beloved former player.

Winning games is what counts. Numbers are for what ? Your Instagram accounts ? Back to thesis statement : surprised at how much posters care…

There's only so many numbers guys. If we retired every number a great player from a Patriots dynasty run wore, we'd have like six numbers left available at this point. We've had a lot of good f***ing players the last 2 decades.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back