PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots rookie jersey numbers

Petty isn't the right word. Petty implies they did it on purpose to spite Gronk. If you have to put a negative spin on it, I think the worst you can say is they're indifferent. Like, they're gonna run their operation and they're not going to get sentimental about every good player that's come through.
True - they've reissued 93 (Seymour) and other guys. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate and I know they don't retire numbers anymore. Just felt petty to me as Gronk himself didn't leave NE on the best terms.

True - they've reissued 93 (Seymour) and other guys. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate and I know they don't retire numbers anymore. Just felt petty to me as Gronk himself didn't leave NE on the best terms.

I won't speak to the motivations of people I don't know, so hey, you could be right. I just think of Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. In this case I don't think it's "stupid" per se, but perhaps just apathetic. I don't think they're trying to say anything with this choice.

Two seasons is plenty for holding of on reissuing 87. That can be seen as an acknowledgment of his greatness during his time in Foxboros. Being outraged is ridiculous, especially given Gronk’s words and actions starting with that dumb motocross appearance in the off-season before the 2019 season.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Barmore, Stevenson and McGrone have awful numbers.

There is a correlation between having a good number and playing well. Damien Harris disappointed me not switching back to his college number 34. Awesome number for a RB. 37 looks hideous. Terrible move on his part.

Look good, play good. It’s that simple.

Last edited:

There is a correlation between having a good number and playing well.

Barmore has Adam Butler's old number...And didn't Brandon Bolden wear #38 before he left for Miami?

McGroan is lucky to have a number at all.

It looks like maybe these were decided on before Devin Smith was released two weeks ago. With Smith taking up 82 at the time and 89 retired, the only traditional WR numbers (prior to the new rule this year) not issued would have been 11, 12, and 87. I'm guessing they might be wishing they had changed the initial plan and given Smith's 82 to Nixon once it became available.

Ben Coates wore #87.....

Barmore has Adam Butler's old number...And didn't Brandon Bolden wear #38 before he left for Miami?

This exactly. It reminds you of terrible players. This is why athletes fight over certain numbers great players wore.

I would have been ok with #87 still in the equipment room drawer, at least until there was another stud TE to give it too, much like #54 and #24 history with the team.

There is a correlation between having a good number and playing well. Damien Harris disappointed me not switching back to his college number 34. Awesome number for a RB. 37 looks hideous. Terrible move on his part.

Look good, play good. It’s that simple.
Maybe Harris wants to bring back the Shaun Alexander energy.

Yeah he took a number as TO said recently were for guys that were about to get cut. Teens for WR’s and forty’s for LB’s was code for you’re not making the team.

Devin White wearing 45 looks terrible. Looks like random guy signed off the practice squad.

Last edited:
I would have been ok with #87 still in the equipment room drawer, at least until there was another stud TE to give it too, much like #54 and #24 history with the team.
The first time we reissued #54 after Bruschi, it was an offensive lineman. We've also let plenty of scrub corners wear #24 since Law. Not sure it really works the way you're describing.

#87 should never be worn by another Patriot’s player. Gronk will be a 1st ballot hall of famer, possibly the 2nd greatest Patriot ever, and possibly the best TE of all time. Maybe that doesn’t matter Belichick.

#87 should never be worn by another Patriot’s player. Gronk will be a 1st ballot hall of famer, possibly the 2nd greatest Patriot ever, and possibly the best TE of all time. Maybe that doesn’t matter Belichick.
I find it hard to envision Bill giving two chits about who gets what number.

Hightower has earned #54....and the last few CB's to wear #24 have done a pretty good job too....

Tedy Bruschi was arguably a bigger piece of the Patriots, and two years after he retired Brian Waters was wearing #54. This is the third year Gronk is off the team. You can't hold these numbers hostage forever.
Bruschi may be my favourite player ever aside from Brady, but he wasn’t the best LB in the history of the league. Gronk is at another level. First ballot Hall of Famer and best TE in NFL history. This is much, much to soon to make the decision on 87, especially since other numbers are available.

I find it hard to envision Bill giving two chits about who gets what number.
I disagree. Belichick’s a football historian. He knows the history of great players and numbers retired better than anyone. It wasn’t lost on him that 87 was just given out to a late round draft pick.

I disagree. Belichick’s a football historian. He knows the history of great players and numbers retired better than anyone. It wasn’t lost on him that 87 was just given out to a late round draft pick.
I know you're not wrong about the historian part. I look at how he handled the air pressure thing. I dunno, ask Tom. I don't think he controls it with the iron fist that many of us (me included) like to envision. Of course, he could be flipping Gronk off with it, too. You ain't all that, just yet. See, I gave your number to some kid that may not even make the team. Shove that up your motocross azz, you mouthy prick.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back