PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official Patriots Draft Day 3 Thread - Rounds 4-7

2z0joh.jpg
If Twiggy Thornton shows up at training camp this year weighing 200 lbs, I'll get off his case. But for him to be 6'3 and only 180 lbs, he deserves all the FLAK that goes his way until he fixes his body for the pros.

Anorexia should be a problem for teenage girls with daddy issues, not for your outside WRs in the NFL.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: TBR
CBS with their grades:

17. Patriots: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon​

Grade: A

I had him ranked as the top corner in this draft. For him to fall this far is amazing to me. The Patriots traded down and still filled a major position of need. Nice job.

46. Patriots: Keion White, EDGE, Georgia Tech​

Grade: C-

Patriots EDGE all the way. Huge, thick, powerful hands. Tested well but doesn't play to that level on the field. Can be slippery getting upfield or stiff and stagnant when he takes on blocks. Can he win fast enough in the NFL? No offense?

76. Patriots: Marte Mapu, LB, Sacramento State​

Grade: B-

Safety who'll play LB in the NFL. Found the football often in coverage too. Big hitter with range. Plus athlete. A little redundant with Kyle Dugger on that defense. And still no offense?

107. Patriots: Jake Andrews, C, Troy​

Grade: B

Andrews is a mean battler at center with some burst. Understands angles/leverage very well, particularly for the ground game. Low center of gravity. Played guard before his final season. Must add sand in his pants in pass pro to deal with bull rushers. A little early but a very Patriots pick.

112. Patriots: Chad Ryland, K, Maryland​

Grade: F

Accurate kicker but doesn't have a big leg. I get kickers can be drafted but trading up for a kicker in the fourth round?

117. Patriots: Sidy Sow, OG, Eastern Michigan​

Grade: A

Ultra-experienced, big, balanced, athleticism specimen at guard who's rarely out of position or off balanced. Combo-blocking machine. Hand work is good. Hard to find a flaw to his game. Bit surprised no offense weapon has been added yet.

144. Patriots: Atonio Mafi, G, UCLA​

Grade: C-

Enormous, phone-booth blocker and will devastate smaller rushers at the next level. Only problem is he doesn't have lateral quickness whatsoever and his balance needs work.

187. Patriots: Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU​

Grade: B+

Boutte's testing numbers were bad, which is likely why he sunk this far. After the catch, he combines balance with plus cutting skill to knife through the defense. Not a major separator. Low-risk, possibly high-reward WR for Patriots who works best underneath.

192. Patriots: Bryce Baringer, P, Michigan State​

Grade: B-

Arguably the best punting prospect in the class. Big, booming leg, which occasionally leads to him outkicking his coverage. Lacks touch on shorter kicks.

210. Patriots: Demario Douglas, WR, Liberty​

Grade: A-

Small, decently compact slot WR who runs good, not amazing routes. Explosive after the catch. Very tough to corral. Flashes a bigger catch radius than his size would indicate. Very Patriots pick.

214. Patriots: Ameer Speed, CB, Michigan State​

Grade: D+

Oversized outside CB who wins with physicality at the line. Decent explosiveness. Long speed is an issue.

245. Patriots: Isaiah Bolden, CB Jackson State​

Grade: C+

Jackson State had a lot of talent at cornerback, which forced Bolden to play out of the slot quite a bit. He has great length and speed to transition to a more traditional boundary role for a player with his traits.
This is fake news, this board told me every pick should be an F.

If Twiggy Thornton shows up at training camp this year weighing 200 lbs, I'll get off his case. But for him to be 6'3 and only 180 lbs, he deserves all the FLAK that goes his way until he fixes his body for the pros.

Anorexia should be a problem for teenage girls with daddy issues, not for your outside WRs in the NFL.
200w.gif

Interesting, the scouting reports all have him with a HUGE leg, made 60 percent of his career kicks of 50+ yards, video of him kicking 62 and 66 yarders.
He does have a huge leg and routinely kicks 60 yarders or high 50s… The guy who did his assessment from CBS is on crack

Just got back from a birthday party with my kids to see that we took two more big, fast corners. I love it! I was speculating earlier in the day that we might have some interest in Ringo as a fast, physical press man corner so that we could move Gonzales around. That would free him up to play slot or even deep safety so he can use his speed and anticipation and ball skills to just go make plays. Speed and Bolden fit the mold. Extremely intriguing!

Patriots 7th round draftee Isaiah Bolden had a leap out of the gym pro day. 4.31 hand timed 40, 38" vertical, and 10'9 broad jump. An explosive athlete at 6'2 205 lbs. Very nice size. Can he play football? who knows, but he's definitely an athlete.

source:
Coached by Deion Sanders.
I wondered why he transferred from FSU to Jackson State. Found a story that mentioned that he transferred “shortly after Deion Sanders was hired”. He played three years for Deion. Hope he learned from him.

Overall, I liked this draft. Wr with yac ability is something I really wanted.

They didn’t go with the players I wanted in the first couple of rounds but I thought this was a great draft overall. I wanted Bijan Robinson to drop to them, but I expected Atlanta to take him, and they did. I wanted them to pick Zay Flowers, but not if some of the players I had off the board when they picked were available, and as it turned out Gonzalez dropped to them, and he was the better pick for them. ( I thought both Witherspoon and Gonzalez would be gone at #14.) Like Barmore a couple of years ago I didn’t expect Keion White to still be there at #46, and with Guy getting close to the end of his career he was a great pick in the 2nd round. I had no idea who Mapu was, but I respect Jeremiah’s opinions and he had him as his favorite player in the draft, and he adds depth at big nickel.. I thought the Jake Andrews pick was another smart pick as David Andrews has been battling injuries the past couple of years, and grooming a center and adding depth there was necessary. I’m fine with the ST kicker picks because they needed to replace both of them. I liked the Sidy Sow pick, but I don’t think Malfi will make the team. Likewise I liked the Boutte and Douglas picks at WR, but not the Speed pick at corner. Bolden is an exceptional athlete, we will see if they can find a way to keep him around,

Overall they added high end talent at positions of need. They added good depth on the OL, a couple of WR prospects who could end up sticking, and two kickers to replace Folk and Bailey. The Patriots just got younger, faster, more athletic, deeper, and filled a number of needs, this was a very good draft.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back