PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OFFICIAL First Round Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The draft is a gamble. Look back over the past ten drafts and see who we got in the second round. We've had lots of picks, including four (IIRC) in 2009, and few have worked out. It's not a certainty that a player without medical red flags will be a player for us. Jack is a legit stud. I'd risk a whole lot of uncertainty to pick up a guy with that type of talent.

Didnt we draft Chung and Vollmer 2009?

Years later ends up being a good draft..

Gotta wonder how many of these people calling for the Pats to pick Smith or Jack would lead the charge of criticizing BB in 5 years if the players wash out.

"Remember when BB wasted two 2nd round picks on Jaylon 'IR' Smith and Myles 'Didn't Do' Jack when we could have drafted player X or player Y"?

Both, of course, who turned out to be exceptional pros....

Im not one of them..

I loved the Easley pick in 14, and id love to nab Jaylon Smith this year.

Sometimes the reward is worth more than the risk. If it blows up in our face, we'll be fine.

Some of these guys I feel like they get enjoyment out of BB being wrong.

It's mostly irrelevant. Smith will be a possibility in the 3rd or 4th I believe. Jack will be gone to an AFC contender long before the Pats even sniff a pick. Almost every team will have picked twice before the Pats pick once barring a major trade up and I just don't see that.

So then it becomes a prayer that his knee does indeed blow up in less than 2 years because if it doesn't, well, he'll be a major thorn in the Pats side.

Didnt we draft Chung and Vollmer 2009?

Years later ends up being a good draft..

I believe we did. Those two guys are pretty symbolic of what the draft nets you. Chung has been an enigma for us. He's been up and down every year. Vollmer is consistently injured. So if we're going to suggest that is a success, then I think taking a gamble on a player shouldn't be so hard to swallow.

I believe we did. Those two guys are pretty symbolic of what the draft nets you. Chung has been an enigma for us. He's been up and down every year. Vollmer is consistently injured. So if we're going to suggest that is a success, then I think taking a gamble on a player shouldn't be so hard to swallow.

Chung was a disaster his first stint here, but hes more than made up for it with his second stint. Border line elite.

Give me any one of Derrick Henry, Jonathan Williams, CJ Prosise, Alex Collins, Le'Raven Clark, Jerald Hawkins, Chris Jones, Sean Davis, Austin Johnson, or Hassan Ridgeway tonight and I'll be happy. That said, I'm not expecting any of them knowing how this team drafts.

There is some good talent there but my opinion on this draft has not changed much.

After about 8-9 picks the next 100 are a lot closer together than usual as far as value.

I don't see much point in a big trade up.

My trade up guys though are right now (with a 2nd and 3rd) are these guys with some perhaps generously being on this list.

Alexander - CB
Myles - LB
Ragland - LB
Robsinson - DT
Bullard - DT/DE
Shepard - WR
Clark - OT
Spriggs - OT

These are the guys i like the most for value and skill. A lot of other players are projected ahead but i think these ones stick out from the pack.

Also i should note i have a strict "don't trade up for RBs almost ever" policy.

All in on Jaylon Smith and jack? Yeah both of them would probably never play a meaningful down. That'd be the ultimate fu all right. Jacks knee could blow up "at any time".

thats what they said about gronk

Wouldn't mind picking Jack at all here in the second. We have two seconds, let gamble a bit baby! How about a Jack and Derrick Henry 60/61. That's a heck of a day.

Wouldn't mind picking Jack at all here in the second. We have two seconds, let gamble a bit baby! How about a Jack and Derrick Henry 60/61. That's a heck of a day.

If we want jack, we have to give both our seconds to CLE, I don't see him falling anymore then another 5 spots. Its unbelievable how far he's already fallen. Jack is a much better prospect then even Easley.

If we want jack, we have to give both our seconds to CLE, I don't see him falling anymore then another 5 spots. Its unbelievable how far he's already fallen. Jack is a much better prospect then even Easley.

If you look at the NFL draft trade value chart, you see 60 + 61 = almost the perfect amount for the 33rd pick.
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 9.51.04 AM.png
I pray they make the move, I don't care about the risk. This guy would be the Ultimate chess piece for Belichick and Patrica, and and the best possible insurance in case we can't sign both Hightower and Collins.
I don't think many people here scouted Jack because they didnt ever think he would fall into range of us.
With that being said, I don't think many people truly understand how special of a player and athlete he is also. He can play any position on the field and truly excels in coverage. Just look at a little tape from this year, and youll quickly see.

Last edited:
Reports say Jack can play in the NFL right away but his career may be shortened by the knee issue, which is supposedly congenital.

Reports say Jack can play in the NFL right away but his career may be shortened by the knee issue, which is supposedly congenital.

Gronk or any player could be done in just one play, thats the name of this game.

What % of 2nd rounders play more then 4-5 years anyways. If we can get a high impact player for 4-5 years in him I would do it anyways. We're in win now mode.

What % of 2nd rounders play more then 4-5 years anyways. If we can get a high impact player for 4-5 years in him I would do it anyways. We're in win now mode.

Agreed, I think a shortened career like that is a good reason to drop a player out of the first round, but shouldn't rule him out in the second if you think he has potential to start from day one, and shouldn't rule him out in the third at all.

Although there's also a matter of whether or not he'll be able to practice fully for those 4-5 years. If he can practice as often as anyone else, then sure, take him. But if the knee injury will require him to miss practice time to manage it, then I'd bump him down a lot further. That's what happened to Da'Quan Bowers a couple years ago. He went from a potential top-3 pick to the second round because of a degenerative knee issue. But since he couldn't practice regularly, he never really developed as a player, and ended up being a waste of a pick even in the 2nd.

Trade 60 & 61. Select Miles Jack

91. Braxton Miller
96. Best DT still available (DT's really fell yesterday, I think theres a good chance of grabbing someone this late.

If we came out of the first 3 rounds like this, I would be jumping in joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back