PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Day 1 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The BB and Brady led Patriots will NEVER Draft a WR in the First Found." So glad we can put that cliche to rest.:cool:

I'm sorry but these Giants' fans reactions to the Daniel Jones pick are priceless

Reactions From Giants Fans Everywhere As Daniel Jones Pick Was Announced Are Hilarious (VIDEOS)
Most were clamoring for a QB for years, now that they draft one they are up in arms. If they took Haskins there would be joyfulness. They feel more comfortable abiding my the lists from the men on the TV. Meanwhile most fans saw Haskins play 1 or 2 games chucking the ball up to Parris Campbell. Duke had 0 draftable players besides Jones on offensive side of ball.

Most were clamoring for a QB for years, now that they draft one they are up in arms. If they took Haskins there would be joyfulness. They feel more comfortable abiding my the lists from the men on the TV. Meanwhile most fans saw Haskins play 1 or 2 games chucking the ball up to Parris Campbell. Duke had 0 draftable players besides Jones on offensive side of ball.

This wasn't a knock on Jones, but the Giants fans are upset because they could have had him at 17 or traded up to get him. They could have had Allen AND Jones in the 1st round. Instead, the Redskins ended up with the best draft of the NFCE last night with Haskins falling to them and getting Sweat.

This wasn't a knock on Jones, but the Giants fans are upset because they could have had him at 17 or traded up to get him. They could have had Allen AND Jones in the 1st round. Instead, the Redskins ended up with the best draft of the NFCE last night with Haskins falling to them and getting Sweat.
Yeah very well may have been true. But if you have your heart set on your new franchise QB and you love the guy, are you willing to play with fire? Imagine the gut punch if the Redskins hid their hand well and took Jones at 15. That would be mighty tough to live with.

Imagine the gut punch if the Redskins hid their hand well and took Jones at 15. That would be mighty tough to live with.

That's why the Giants should have traded up from 17 to 11-14. It wouldn't have cost them much.

Hey. I was wrong for the first time since 1996 I guess. Not the pick I would have gone for, but all the guys I really wanted at the spot had come off the board. I'm just assuming they felt he was far and away the best WR available. I thought there were other big WR's like Boykin or Baker who could fill the bill just as well.

Personally given the board, I would have traded out of the spot, but then again we don't know if they tried and no one gave them value for the spot. I hope he turns out to be great, but the fact is the REAL draft for the Pats is ALL about tomorrow. From those 5 picks I want to see a DT, DE, TE, OL and Andy Isabella.

It also makes me think that Josh Gordon is much LESS of a sure thing this season than I thought.

Maybe the Pats want N'Keal Harry to learn from Gordon on the Field and not off it. Harry kinda built like Gordon. Pats seem to be going after Bigger WR's D Thomas 6'3 - Flash Gordon 6'3 - Maurice Harris 6'3 and now N'Keal Harry 6'2 Hmmmmm Bigger is better??:cool::D

Gee why wouldn't they pick Jones over Haskins??
Haskins... 22-1 record70% completion 174 QB rating 54/9 TD/Int ratio
Jones ....17-19 record 59% completion 122 QB rating 52/29 ratio
Washington has to be the happiest team today and Haskins gets to face the Giants twice a year.......
And I can't wait for Team Manning try to sabotage Jones to prolong Eli's career.....

On the radio today, I heard audio from A) the draft party at whatever stadium they play at. It had to be censored. Basically nothing but screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOs and ****!s
Then another audio from a fan watching on tv who went on a epic rant. WHYYYYY???? WHY????? You could have had Josh Allen who will be wearing a gold jacket!!! Gettlemen you're SO STUPID!!!!! repeated ad infinitum.

My 2 cents:

Kyler Murray B+
Nick Bosa A+
Quinnen Williams A+
Clelin Ferrell B
Devin White A+
Daniel Jones C+
Josh Allen A+
T. J. Hockenson A+
Ed Oliver A+
Devin Bush A-
Jonah Williams A+
Rashan Gary A-
Christian Wilkins A+
Chris Lindstrom A-
Dwayne Haskins A+
Brian Burns A
Dexter Lawrence A-
Garrett Bradbury A-
Jeffery Simmons A+
Noah Fant A+
Darnell Savage Jr. B-
Andre Dillard A
Tytus Howard B
Josh Jacobs A
Marquise Brown A
Montez Sweat A+
Johnathan Abram A
Jerry Tillery DT A+
L. J. Collier A
Deandre Baker A+
Kaleb McGary A
N'Keal Harry A+

I would give Raiders a B-. They drafted good players but they could have done a better job. Maybe get the same players and more picks.

I don't like GB and Giants draft so far. B for both. Reach for players is never a good idea.
Draft ratings are funny to me.

When you go back in 5 years and look at the draft you wouldn’t come close to redrafting the way it was originally done. Most first rounded end up not being among the best 32 players in that draft and most of the top 10-15 definitely don’t end up top 10-15.

So are we judging the draft based upon how it looks compared to the predraft grades which ultimately price to be way off, or based upon what the player is going to be in our opinion?

If it’s the former, it’s pointless. “X is a good pick because the people who predict the draft and end up being really wrong say he should have gone higher.”
If it’s the later then the typical first round ouch should be a C and half of them are D or F because they were overdrafted.

Not really criticizing your ratings just saying it’s a strange exercise.

My 2 cents:

Kyler Murray B+
Nick Bosa A+
Quinnen Williams A+
Clelin Ferrell B
Devin White A+
Daniel Jones C+
Josh Allen A+
T. J. Hockenson A+
Ed Oliver A+
Devin Bush A-
Jonah Williams A+
Rashan Gary A-
Christian Wilkins A+
Chris Lindstrom A-
Dwayne Haskins A+
Brian Burns A
Dexter Lawrence A-
Garrett Bradbury A-
Jeffery Simmons A+
Noah Fant A+
Darnell Savage Jr. B-
Andre Dillard A
Tytus Howard B
Josh Jacobs A
Marquise Brown A
Montez Sweat A+
Johnathan Abram A
Jerry Tillery DT A+
L. J. Collier A
Deandre Baker A+
Kaleb McGary A
N'Keal Harry A+

I would give Raiders a B-. They drafted good players but they could have done a better job. Maybe get the same players and more picks.

I don't like GB and Giants draft so far. B for both. Reach for players is never a good idea.
Given that Jones would have certainly been available at 17 (and still a reach there), passing on Josh Allen to take JOnes means it's an F-.

On the radio today, I heard audio from A) the draft party at whatever stadium they play at. It had to be censored. Basically nothing but screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOs and ****!s
Then another audio from a fan watching on tv who went on a epic rant. WHYYYYY???? WHY????? You could have had Josh Allen who will be wearing a gold jacket!!! Gettlemen you're SO STUPID!!!!! repeated ad infinitum.

Reactions From Giants Fans Everywhere As Daniel Jones Pick Was Announced Are Hilarious (VIDEOS)

Let’s not forget that this is the reaction they would have gotten for taking Tom Brady #6 in 2000.
The pick isn’t a failure until the player proves it on the field.
At this point the only legitimate criticism is that they could have gotten him at 17.
Once he plays there will be plenty of time to criticize if and when they ultimately botched the evaluation.

Duke or not, taking a guy who put up Hackenberg stats #6 overall is a pretty tough pill to swallow man. Half his highlight reel is him running for big gains on teams that were ranked like 7th in the ACC, or making the same lob into the corner of the end zone over and over, or deep balls completed after the corner tripped. It's pretty bad.

Maybe the Pats want N'Keal Harry to learn from Gordon on the Field and not off it. Harry kinda built like Gordon. Pats seem to be going after Bigger WR's D Thomas 6'3 - Flash Gordon 6'3 - Maurice Harris 6'3 and now N'Keal Harry 6'2 Hmmmmm Bigger is better??:cool::D
Don't deny that but with perfect 20-20 hindsight, I would have moved up to 29 and gotten Tillery and then added Boykin or Baker as the big WR if Harry wasn't still there. Then added Isabella or Hardman in the late 3rd. But the fact is we really needed one big difference maker on the DL and we won't have one for THIS year, though we might find and develop one for future years later in the draft.

My only hope now, and its a shrinking hope, is that we pull off a deal to grab Solomon Thomas or Gerald McCoy today or tomorrow. We shall see. All I know is that today will be a LOT more interesting than yesterday

Let’s not forget that this is the reaction they would have gotten for taking Tom Brady #6 in 2000.
At this point the only legitimate criticism is that they could have gotten him at 17.
Once he plays there will be plenty of time to criticize if and when they ultimately botched the evaluation.
Well, except there was evidence from college that Tom could play. This guy? Not so much.

Amen. The immediate reactions, both positive and negative, puzzle me. Let's see what this kid (N'Keal) does and hope for the best.

I get you're talking about someone else, but the point is still valid.

Don't deny that but with perfect 20-20 hindsight, I would have moved up to 29 and gotten Tillery and then added Boykin or Baker as the big WR if Harry wasn't still there. Then added Isabella or Hardman in the late 3rd. But the fact is we really needed one big difference maker on the DL and we won't have one for THIS year, though we might find and develop one for future years later in the draft.

My only hope now, and its a shrinking hope, is that we pull off a deal to grab Solomon Thomas or Gerald McCoy today or tomorrow. We shall see. All I know is that today will be a LOT more interesting than yesterday

ken I am just happy that we have a young WR wrapped up in the wings for next Four maybe Five years. I think this is a definite year to go WR and they are plenty more available.:cool:

ken I am just happy that we have a young WR wrapped up in the wings for next Four maybe Five years. I think this is a definite year to go WR and they are plenty more available.:cool:
And there lies my issue. There ARE plenty more available....and will be next year and the year after. However there are VERY few 300lb athletes who can run 5 second 40's. And there will be very few next year and the year after that. This might have been the deepest DL draft in a decade.....and it seems, at lest at this point, we missed out.

I don't like this pick.

I Love this pick.

I am SO happy that Bill, for a change, didn't settle for fatally flawed mediocrity or non-fits/non-needs at #32 overall.

All of the worthy DTs were gone.
All of the worthy DEs were gone.
Both of the worthy LBs were gone.
We didn't need DB at #32 overall.
Both of the worthy TEs were gone.
We didn't need RB at #32 overall.
And sorry not sorry, but we didn't need QB at #32 overall either.

That left OL with Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner, Greg Little & Cody Ford; and WR with DK Metcalf, AJ Brown & N'Keal Harry. Taylor & Ford are most likely right-side-only guys, so that really left Risner, Little, Metcalf, Brown & Harry.

Bill probably believes that Harry can provide comparable production from the inside but superior production from the outside than Brown, while providing comparable production from the outside but superior production from the inside than Metcalf. So that left Risner, Little & Harry.

Risner checks off a couple more boxes than Little does, including possible Swing Tackle conversion, whereas Little seems better-suited for LT-only duties, and there is absolutely nothing with that either. In fact, if I'm looking to draft an OLman at #56 and Little is still available, then I'm probably running to the podium to turn in his card.

So that left the choice at #32 between Dalton Risner and N'Keal Harry. Is it really prudent, however, to commit high-end capital to the very same position for two consecutive years, and at the expense of other positions that require a more immediate influx of similar capital? I'm happy that Bill decided to be prudent, this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3