PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Day 1 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way you & others speak its like no one is capable of grading or putting prospects in the correct tiers.

Like anything else some people are really good at it & some suck.
A large proportion of consensus first round picks fail.

It’s not a matter of “being good at it”.

It’s a matter of an enormous amount of factors that make it virtually impossible to predict what’s going to happen to a college player over his nfl career.

That’s why so picks fail. You gave at your disposal a minute sample of the formula for success at the next level.
Do you really think there is a huge difference in how professional nfl coaches grade a player on tape? They are looking at the same thing with pretty much the same knowledge level.
They make tons of “mistakes” which aren’t really mistakes because you cannot grade development, future effort, desire to excel against tougher competition, commitment to working hard after getting paid, etc, etc, etc.

A large proportion of consensus first round picks fail.

It’s not a matter of “being good at it”.

It’s a matter of an enormous amount of factors that make it virtually impossible to predict what’s going to happen to a college player over his nfl career.

That’s why so picks fail. You gave at your disposal a minute sample of the formula for success at the next level.
Do you really think there is a huge difference in how professional nfl coaches grade a player on tape? They are looking at the same thing with pretty much the same knowledge level.
They make tons of “mistakes” which aren’t really mistakes because you cannot grade development, future effort, desire to excel against tougher competition, commitment to working hard after getting paid, etc, etc, etc.
Andy it's 2019, there's more info out there than ever before. Of course if you do this every year you'll have off years. Everyone misses. No shame in that at all. It's a bit crazy to actually try to accomplish but there are a bunch that are really good at grading prospects.

It's not impossible at all. Literally why I keep a history of my picks.

Gee why wouldn't they pick Jones over Haskins??
Haskins... 22-1 record70% completion 174 QB rating 54/9 TD/Int ratio
Jones ....17-19 record 59% completion 122 QB rating 52/29 ratio
Washington has to be the happiest team today and Haskins gets to face the Giants twice a year.......
And I can't wait for Team Manning try to sabotage Jones to prolong Eli's career.....
This! times a million!!!!! Get to see the scummy Manning family sabotage the Giants as well as further putting their family in a worse light! **** that piece of **** family! They're what's wrong with America.

Did anyone notice on the NFL Network the war room of the Giants just after they have made the 1st pick, right before it has been announced? The broadcast have moved live over there for a moment and it was just like a fight or serious heated discussion just happened with Gettleman on one side of the room and his staff calming down somebody on the other. Surely there was no fun and celebration after Daniel Jones pick. I have never seen anything like this before, and it seems nobody caught this up in the days when little smirk, while watching the phone, is a national story.

Does anyone have link to footage of this? I missed it and would love to watch their misery.

Andy it's 2019, there's more info out there than ever before. Of course if you do this every year you'll have off years. Everyone misses. No shame in that at all. It's a bit crazy to actually try to accomplish but there are a bunch that are really good at grading prospects.

Ok we disagree.

I'm curious if you've gone back evaluated how your picks did..

Am I the only one who was surprised that the Giants took Deandre Baker over the likes of Murphy, Love, and Williams?

I'm curious if you've gone back evaluated how your picks did..

Go take a look at the thread that BobDigital made in the draft forum about Bacon's grades. He holds up very well, historically. Probably the best overall grader I've seen online. That doesn't mean he's infallible -- none of us are -- but he's really done an outstanding job.

And there lies my issue. There ARE plenty more available....and will be next year and the year after. However there are VERY few 300lb athletes who can run 5 second 40's. And there will be very few next year and the year after that. This might have been the deepest DL draft in a decade.....and it seems, at lest at this point, we missed out.
All the first round worthy DL were gone by the time they picked.

All the first round worthy DL were gone by the time they picked.

Yep DL class has no value late 1st to mid 2nd round. After that it makes sense again. But in our spot we would had to reach for a prospect. Not smart.

Dear Lord,

Bless us with Will Grier.

Who is the source?
Sorry I couldn't respond earlier...it was discussed on the NFLNetwork beginning earlier this afternoon...Rappaport believes the deal (Rosen to Miami) has to be done before #48 goes on the clock later tonight.

Is the thread an evaluation of how your picks did in the NFL or just how you did making the picks in general?
I'm really not that smart tbh & a bit confused.
First I'll grade a prospect, twice actually. Once on his position (example, WR - Hands, release, route running etc) & once with my opinion & athletic testing. I'll average both & get a grade.

@BobDigital was nice enough to give feedback on how he thought I did in terms of if I "graded" that prospect "right".

So I think its a bit of both to try to answer your question.

Just saw the bottom bar.

Key Departures: Rob Gronkowski

Someone cutting onions in my house rn.

Whoever it is they must really like him.

And there lies my issue. There ARE plenty more available....and will be next year and the year after. However there are VERY few 300lb athletes who can run 5 second 40's. And there will be very few next year and the year after that. This might have been the deepest DL draft in a decade.....and it seems, at lest at this point, we missed out.
Maybe so. However I am quite happy with the selection of a WR at 32. NOW if we had chosen someone will bust potential like Metcalf at 32 I'd be shaking my head.

But Harry is a top 3 WR prospect. And let's be real...WR was an issue throughout last season. We survived botching the position through good defensive performances down the stretch and a consistently strong running game.

And we had been approaching the same issue this season and fortunately Bill ensured that would not be the case. We'll figure it out at DL. WR was a dire need and Harry is one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes