PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Brady vs. NFL Federal Court 8/12 Thread (LIVE UPDATES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait so I saw a bunch of posts talking about the dorito dinks testifying, is this a real thing that is likely to happen? This thread has too many pages for me to figure out where the source is.

Unless they are willing to testify I doubt it, especially at Wednesday's hearing. Doubt Berman would order them and if he did I think it would be too short of a notice for Wednesday given that neither live in New York.

• Agree
Reactions: SVN
Has the NFL filed yet? If not, why did the PA file early and give them a chance to adjust their filing?

via reddit on NFLPA filings
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3h12l3/nflpa_comes_out_swinging_tonight/
"I hope they know their audience, because a lot of judges get pissed off by that kind of vitriolic language in the filings."

Kessler's been trying cases since before his defendant was born.

I think he's got it under control.

Has the NFL filed yet? If not, why did the PA file early and give them a chance to adjust their filing?

Good question, truly. I dunno, I guess Kessler's all "Well, what could they possibly say?"

The tone of this filing probably reflects the settlement talks IMO.

Unless they are willing to testify I doubt it, especially at Wednesday's hearing. Doubt Berman would order them and if he did I think it would be too short of a notice for Wednesday given that neither live in New York.
Thanks, that's what I figured, but it seemed to be entertained as a serious possibility earlier in this thread and I wasn't really sure where it was coming from.

What I was implying (poorly) is that all those actions may have already been undertaken, but not revealed publicly. It's also possible that M&J may have agreed to testify without needing to be compelled. Of course, it's also possible that ESPN is once again blowing hot air.
ESPN? Blowing hot air? Nah. :rolleyes:
Not to worry, we're all on the same side!

Thanks. Just printed it out and am going to read it with a Friday night Martini.

You should keep a celebratory cigar and clean up towel on hand as well...

38ede_ORIG-thats_gold_jerry.jpg

via reddit on NFLPA filings
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3h12l3/nflpa_comes_out_swinging_tonight/
"I hope they know their audience, because a lot of judges get pissed off by that kind of vitriolic language in the filings."
Let me put it this way as someone who has lived in NYC for 25 years and who has been right on the money in his read of Judge Berman for the last two weeks: Jeffrey Kessler and Richard Berman grew up speaking the same language. You could see it in the way Berman sparred with Kessler a couple of times on Wednesday; someone who didn't understand what was going on would have thought that Berman was angry when he quipped at one point that he wasn't sure he should ask a question because Kessler was taking so long to answer the last one; he was playing with him. It's a language that Wells just doesn't speak and that Goodell would find foreign. That's not to say that Berman won't skewer Kessler if he takes issue with a point of law in Kessler's brief, but, from what I've seen so far of the brief, that kind of language is a mode of discourse with which they are both familiar.

Daniel Wallach ‏@WALLACHLEGAL 8m8 minutes ago
Daniel Wallach retweeted Daniel Wallach

Court win by Brady & NFLPA comes down to classic contract interpretation law: https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/632333385474572288…. Slam dunk

Daniel Wallach added,

Daniel Wallach @WALLACHLEGAL
"A specifically applicable disciplinary policy controls over general provision that certain behavior might be deemed “conduct detrimental"

Wallach seems to be confident. Anyone able to put this in layman's terms?

There's a section in the CBA which specifically specifies for an "equipment violation which affects the Competitive Integrity of the Game". A first time offense is a fine of $8,268. This is what Brady was suspended for, according to Troy Vincent's letter.

So the point is, if the judge does indeed buy what the NFL is selling, this specific fine would overrule any general idea for a punishment that the league just made up.

Yes, when you write a contract and have two clauses that are in any way contradictory, the clause with specific language takes precedent over the clause with general language. That's contract law 101. The clause for equipment violations is specific, the clause for conduct detrimental is vague. Equipment clause should take precedent in this case.

What Tommy said. Policy trumps provision.

In the normal world anyway. Not sure if we live there anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back