PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Brady vs. NFL Federal Court 8/12 Thread (LIVE UPDATES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to be a spoilsport, but circumstantial evidence can be enough to convict. Not saying there's enough of it in this instance, but this exuberance over lack of direct evidence is irrational. Expected better of Steph Stradley. The NFL's case has always been built on inference and lack of direct evidence has been known for quite awhile.

I dont think you know what circumstantial evidence is if you think the NFL has any

Walmart Greeter and Inquisitor are the only professions that come to mind.
Even then I wonder...

When I was 16 I worked for a stone mason. He might be qualified for that.

I dont think you know what circumstantial evidence is if you think the NFL has any

Goodell simply "not believing" Brady is not evidence (direct or circumstantial).

Wells' "independent" report doesn't seem to be anything more than an unsubstantiated opinion.

That's all they've got.

If you would take the time to re-read my post, maybe more slowly this time, you would notice that I didn't claim the NFL's circumstantial evidence is sufficient.

If you would take the time to re-read my post, maybe more slowly this time, you would notice that I didn't claim the NFL's circumstantial evidence is sufficient.

But you imply it could be a problem.

But you imply it could be a problem.
No, I didn't. Read again, even slower this time :) I'm just calling out the irrational exuberance about the NFL admitting they had no direct evidence. They never claimed they did. Their case, such as it is, has also been built on circumstantial evidence.

For those who don't like PFT links:

By making it voluntary, Judge Berman may be trying to determine whether Goodell or Brady view the situation as sufficiently important to make them choose to attend. During 18 years of practicing law, I always encouraged clients to show up for everything. Showing up shows the judge that you care about the case, and every little gesture like that can help when it’s time for the judge to dispense justice in cases that can go either way.

That would be ridiculously unfair because Goodell just has to go down the street for an afternoon, Brady needs to take a plane from another state interrupting a crucial Wednesday practice for a game.

I think PFT links are cool again.. ;)

I'm sure it will come sooner than later, but I'm going to ignore/forgive Florio a hell of a lot of future/past snarkiness for his being such an active (and much needed) voice of reason during Deflategate.

Last edited:
That would be ridiculously unfair because Goodell just has to go down the street for an afternoon, Brady needs to take a plane from another state interrupting a crucial Wednesday practice for a game.
It is what it is.

Gabe Feldman ‏@SportsLawGuy 2h2 hours ago
A few points from yesterday's hearing. Much talk re Kessler showing potential compromise by conceding Brady could have been more cooperative
But Kessler also made clear Brady would've cooperated if he knew suspension was possible. So "concession" also consistent w PA's notice arg
Kessler also argued RG only had power to review susp & couldn't add new grounds for discipline, so sole basis for susp is Wells report
Kessler argued destruction of phone irrelevant bc TW had access to every relevant text & TB can't be punished for texts TW never asked for
Kessler: cell phone destruction issue "overblown." Nash: independence of Ted Wells a "red herring" w "no legal significance"
J. Berman: "More probable than not that TB was at least generally aware...." "Not sure I understand what in the world that means"
Nash: fundamental point is that role of assessing the evidence resides with the commish. What matters is what the commish thought.
Nash: just bc no smoking gun doesn't mean there's no evidence of culpability. TB has his version of facts, but RG heard it & disagreed
Kessler: RG can't add to findings of Wells report. Nash: Ct must defer to RG's conclusions, which were based on report & internal appeal
Judge: what is the evidence of the "scheme" bw Brady & others to deflate balls during first half of AFC championship game?
Gabe Feldman ‏@SportsLawGuy 1h1 hour ago
Nash- interp of evidence, notice, Etc were all considered by RG as arb in reaching his decision & law requires deference to these decisions

He'll charter a private jet out of LWB, fly into NJ or LI and limo into the city.

Hate to be a spoilsport, but circumstantial evidence can be enough to convict. Not saying there's enough of it in this instance, but this exuberance over lack of direct evidence is irrational. Expected better of Steph Stradley. The NFL's case has always been built on inference and lack of direct evidence has been known for quite awhile.
Only difference here is there is no proof a crime even took place. The judge actually and surprisingly seems to know that point.

Only difference here is there is no proof a crime even took place. The judge actually and surprisingly seems to know that point.
I don't disagree :)

Yes .But I dont know what he is going to rule on. The arbitration or the sham he realizes the investigation was.

Preseason game. I hope Brady chooses to attend. If it makes the odds of a ruling in his favor 2% more likely, it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes