PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Yeah he had some great games against powerhouse teams like Appalachian State and Florida A&M and got progressively worse as the season wore one (2022). When I hear things about him having the size and arm strength of the prototype NFL QB I’m not floored. Maybe he’s the next John Elway, no idea just doesn’t jump off the pages for me
McCarthy reminds me of a mix of Brady, winning pedigree and attitude.
Aaron Rodgers arm strength and mobility.
Alex smith, projects the football plays within a system.

I don’t think Harbaugh is blowing smoke when he says he loves the kid.

McCarthy reminds me of a mix of Brady, winning pedigree and attitude.
Aaron Rodgers arm strength and mobility.
Alex smith, projects the football plays within a system.

I don’t think Harbaugh is blowing smoke when he says he loves the kid.
I just hope our decision makers agree with me.

I think about what Wolf and Mayo said they need a leader who stays cool under pressure and is even keeled and doesn’t point fingers.

Are any of these QBs known to be hot heads or anything less than a team leader?
Cause we can wipe them right off our board.

Pop, Bourne, Henry, Hooper, Rham that's our best skill group right now.

We need LT way more than WR right now.
Cousins....Good Sat. morning. Not a big Wolf Fan just FYI........The breakfast feast was two eggs over medium infused with shredded Mexican cheese, crisp hickory smoked bacon, a brioche English muffin with butter (tried those yet?...yum) and an apple cinnamon muffin and to top them off with steaming hot cocoa with a touch of peppermint mocha and cranberry grape juice.

Left Tackle (great job on that so far Mr. Wolf) !!! There is an under the radar left Tackle that is available, meanwhile we can Draft another for the pipeline. This has to be a better venue than Trent Brown. He's listed as a Guard so he can play that position as well. That's why he is under the radar.
Andrus Peat-Saints
"Trevor Penning’s poor performance to start the season pushed him back into the lineup at left tackle, and Peat finished the year as New Orleans’ best option to protect Derek Carr’s blind side.
2023 stats
It’s tough to evaluate stats for offensive linemen, but here’s one: Pro Football Focus charting found that Peat allowed just two sacks on 476 snaps in pass protection, with all but 61 of them coming from the left tackle spot. That’s impressive.
But he allowed 30 total pressures and was penalized 6 times (twice for false starts, the rest for offensive holding) — his worst numbers since the 2016 and 2017 seasons, respectively. Coincidentally, those years were the last seasons Peat lined up exclusively at left tackle instead of left guard prior to 2023. Only 2 sacks allowed.

Peat turned 30 in November, and if his body holds up he could play three or four more years in the NFL. But, again, what is he worth to the Saints? He’s arguably their most important pending free agent."

OR......Maybe go after the after-mentioned .Trevor Pennington Saints. Two years out of a small school Northern Iowa for cripes sake. 6'7" AND 325 AND RUNS A SUB 5.0 40. .Can we fix him in a Trade?
"If Trevor Penning hasn’t been issued a failing grade during his time with the New Orleans Saints, a solid “incomplete” would be sufficient.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

The Saints spent their 2022 first round pick (19th overall) on the hulking offensive line out of Northern Iowa. Penning was the highest rated tackle in the FCS with an over 6-foot-7 frame at 325 pounds. He turned in a 4.89 time in the 40 while flashing elite athleticism and strength.

His rookie season was derailed before it began. Penning tore a ligament in his left big toe in a preseason game against the Chargers just 10 snaps into the contest. The injury required surgery. Penning returned November 16 against Carolina, but suffered a Lisfranc fracture in his right foot, meaning he would be back to full health until June.

The 2023 season began with great hope as essentially Penning’s redshirt rookie season but the massive prospect was benched after five regular season games. His struggles at left tackle were immense, and Penning participated in only 13 offensive snaps the remaining 11 weeks of the season. 4 sacks and 7 penalties.

So what went so wrong? Where is the disconnect?

Penning’s status is the big elephant in the room. Do the Saints spend a high 2024 draft pick on a future left tackle? Is a replacement at that position a must?"

Not having that 2nd pick and the Commanders tanking down the stretch is gonna be aggravating in hindsight.

I would’ve been all over dangling that 2 pick in front of Washington for the 3rd pick + both of their 2nd rounders.
Yup. The Denver win was most unfortunate.
Washington was blatantly tanking as soon as they traded away two of their best defenders at the trade deadline. Later in the year, it was clear that Brissett gave them a better chance to win, but they kept throwing Howell out there.

On a side note is Boutte guaranteed to be in the NFL next season?
If he’s not suspended I want to see what he does in camp with our new offensive staff.

I don’t agree that McCarthy has a better arm than Maye.

You can’t really use JJ winning against higher completion without mentioning he had much better teammates, better coaching and was asked to do much less.

McCarthy is more nfl ready if he comes to a team that is as run heavy as Michigan. In college Maye was required to do everything, in college McCarthy’s offensive line and running backs took control of the game for him.

I’ve heard reporters I trust explain Drake’s problems with the blitz as the coach calling plays without any hot routes built in (which I can empathize with based on the Matt Patricia OC year).

In the end it’s all projection and we will see who is right in the future.
Cousins, Best arm in the Draft might be Rattler. He's the sleeper. If he played for Michigan or Georgia he would be top three too.South Carloina had 11 different OL because of injuries and lack of talant and the kid threw for over 3,000 yards with 19TD's and 8 Int with only one top WR Leggett.
He led Oklahoma to a Bowl game and was undefeated in his second year but had a bad game and Lincoln Riley put in Caleb Wiliams and the rest is history. The irony was both OBs left Riley.
Riley did him dirty but Rattler did not complain. He was pulled at QB while the Team was undefeated and he had 1,400 yards in five games and 74.9% completion average and 11 TDs. You can't argue about Caleb but was the difference the first round of the Draft to maybe a third rounder?...Nyet!.
He's 6'1" and 217lbs (same size as Caleb) and won MVP of the Senior Bowl. The negative about early Rattler is that he was immature. He went to a struggling South Carolina Team and brought them to be competitive and played in a pro system which will help his learning curve more than the "Holy Three". He played against SEC competition which your can arguably say was a better conference that Caleb at USC.

DW Toys

P.S. in the defense of Williams against Rattler and Maye, He scrambles better and has the talent of different arm angles, but some of his UNIQUE stuff at USC will fail in the NFL.

Last edited:
Cousins....Good Sat. morning. Not a big Wolf Fan just FYI........The breakfast feast was two eggs over medium infused with shredded Mexican cheese, crisp hickory smoked bacon, a brioche English muffin with butter (tried those yet?...yum) and an apple cinnamon muffin and to top them off with steaming hot cocoa with a touch of peppermint mocha and cranberry grape juice.

Left Tackle (great job on that so far Mr. Wolf) !!! There is an under the radar left Tackle that is available, meanwhile we can Draft another for the pipeline. This has to be a better venue than Trent Brown. He's listed as a Guard so he can play that position as well. That's why he is under the radar.
Andrus Peat-Saints
"Trevor Penning’s poor performance to start the season pushed him back into the lineup at left tackle, and Peat finished the year as New Orleans’ best option to protect Derek Carr’s blind side.
2023 stats
It’s tough to evaluate stats for offensive linemen, but here’s one: Pro Football Focus charting found that Peat allowed just two sacks on 476 snaps in pass protection, with all but 61 of them coming from the left tackle spot. That’s impressive.
But he allowed 30 total pressures and was penalized 6 times (twice for false starts, the rest for offensive holding) — his worst numbers since the 2016 and 2017 seasons, respectively. Coincidentally, those years were the last seasons Peat lined up exclusively at left tackle instead of left guard prior to 2023. Only 2 sacks allowed.

Peat turned 30 in November, and if his body holds up he could play three or four more years in the NFL. But, again, what is he worth to the Saints? He’s arguably their most important pending free agent."

OR......Maybe go after the after-mentioned .Trevor Pennington Saints. Two years out of a small school Northern Iowa for cripes sake. 6'7" AND 325 AND RUNS A SUB 5.0 40. .Can we fix him in a Trade?
"If Trevor Penning hasn’t been issued a failing grade during his time with the New Orleans Saints, a solid “incomplete” would be sufficient.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

The Saints spent their 2022 first round pick (19th overall) on the hulking offensive line out of Northern Iowa. Penning was the highest rated tackle in the FCS with an over 6-foot-7 frame at 325 pounds. He turned in a 4.89 time in the 40 while flashing elite athleticism and strength.

His rookie season was derailed before it began. Penning tore a ligament in his left big toe in a preseason game against the Chargers just 10 snaps into the contest. The injury required surgery. Penning returned November 16 against Carolina, but suffered a Lisfranc fracture in his right foot, meaning he would be back to full health until June.

The 2023 season began with great hope as essentially Penning’s redshirt rookie season but the massive prospect was benched after five regular season games. His struggles at left tackle were immense, and Penning participated in only 13 offensive snaps the remaining 11 weeks of the season. 4 sacks and 7 penalties.

So what went so wrong? Where is the disconnect?

Penning’s status is the big elephant in the room. Do the Saints spend a high 2024 draft pick on a future left tackle? Is a replacement at that position a must?"

We can’t go wrong with either Daniels or Maye. Just get them protection and weapons. They’ll be fine as they develop. Many here don’t realize how great a position we’re in to be able to pick between these 2 QBs. Yes, there are flaws with both, but every prospect has flaws. Hence the term “prospect.” Both are super dynamic for different reasons. Most people criticizing Maye don’t truly understand the context between his ‘22/‘23 seasons & needs to clean up some fundamentals. Daniels should improve upon his mid range throws with AVP, as well as develop strength without compromising speed/twitchiness. If we draft Daniels, many will quickly understand his mental toughness, intelligence & ELITE athleticism. When he starts making plays in OTA’s/training camp, many who were once reluctant will be in awe…Same with Maye; but he may need just a tad bit more refinement, which is not a bad thing. He’s really an Allen/Herbert prototype. Allen wasn’t what he is now his first couple of seasons; he developed and obviously acquired Diggs. Similarly athletic and able to absorb hits. Nothing like Howell; please stop with the lazy UNC/Mac Jones comps; it’s not witty or amusing. Honestly, I would even entertain a trade down with Minnesota or the Chargers unless it included at least 3 firsts & a package with either LT/RT Rashawn Slater, LT/RT Christian Darrisaw, or obviously QB Justin Herbert or WR Justin Jefferson. Although, there are other QBs that I like (McCarthy, Nix, Penix & Rattler). That being said, stay at #3 & take your dynamic young QB, take advantage of his rookie deal with the 5th year option & insert dynamic weapons/protection around him. I’m truly excited for April 2024 and beyond.

Last edited:
Cousin, Slow wind up and release and inconsistent. Bad footwork (teachable). In the NFL how long can you hold onto the ball?
All of the "Holy Three" might have flaws. You or I could be top three if the media hyped us like these guys.

That is what the killer to Maye is for me. Slow wind up and rel....and he is sacked!!!!

I am not a McCarthy Fan but.......He has a quick release. Just everything he does is real smooth.” “He never gets bored with completions,” Daniel Jeremiah said. “Some other guys in his class get in trouble [by] big-play hunting

DW Toys

If you're saying draft "a" QB, that's a red flag for me. You shouldn't take "a" QB at #3 IMO. You have to really like one in particular.
This is your best shot at drafting a difference maker at QB. And if we want to turn this cluster**** around we need a difference maker at QB. All you read is how impressed they are with Maye and Daniels. We will likely have a shot at May, won’t take him, and he’ll be a top 10 QB. Is what it is.

Did Wolf give the front office the rest of the week off after day two of free agency?

It would be nice to see even a small signing to let us know the lights are still on in the front office.

I thought Donovan Peoples-Jones would have immediately been the best X receiver on the team, he just went to the Lions for the minimum.

Rumors of scheduled visits for Mike Williams and Michael Gallup are trickling out but the Pats aren’t on the list.

Wolf should give us something or at least have a press conference so he can face the music.

Did Wolf give the front office the rest of the week off after day two of free agency?

It would be nice to see even a small signing to let us know the lights are still on in the front office.

I thought Donovan Peoples-Jones would have immediately been the best X receiver on the team, he just went to the Lions for the minimum.

Rumors of scheduled visits for Mike Williams and Michael Gallup are trickling out but the Pats aren’t on the list.

Wolf should give us something or at least have a press conference so he can face the music.
This is the packers way.
And when Kraft made the comment that Wolf sees the salary cap the same way he does, I was terrified.

Well now we better be going QB in the first found.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back