PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

The organization needs to do something to get us relevant and back in contention again. Something is brewing... I feel like some sort of trade is going to happen.. BB is making these moves for a reason.. as you said patience is the virtue..
Panic isn’t the something they need to do.
The team is in a rebuilding process. Year 1 resulted in a playoff berth, year 2 was a step back. What they will do is what they always do, try to make the best of the resources they have across the entire roster, based upon what’s available to them. You can look at every position or unit on the team and at some point it was dominant, best in the league and at other points it was a weakness. That’s how you build a team, find the strengths you can maximize and work to mitigate and overcome the weaknesses.
OMG we don’t have a RT so we need to go sign the biggest name at that position or use a #1 pick there is myopic. I understand it’s lazy analysis so it’s popular but you have to fit an entire team together. The players that sign later in FA aren’t lesser players, they are players that initially overpriced themselves and didn’t get a bite. Better then when the price comes down than to have overpaid day 1

You said they shouldn't show urgency to sign bad deal. Why are those deals bad? Those are just big money deals. What makes them bad?
You think they should show urgency to sign bad deals?

Lazard went off on us in the game in Lambeau last year...

Also one of Rodgers binkies.

I thought he was someone Bill might have liked. We might be the other team.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Teams without a starting LT making significant money or on a rookie deal:

pats
colts
bears
bucs

The bucs have cap problems & the colts have huge investments at OL already. Hopefully brown is still in play.

Man it is going to be so amazingly funny if Rodgers bails on the Jets

I thought he was someone Bill might have liked. We might be the other team.
More great news in the division for us. Great!!!!
Someone on here mentioned a post about CB not being as important as WR....

Man it is going to be so amazingly funny if Rodgers bails on the Jets
He loves attention, I’d be shocked if he retires and decides not to play for a team with the largest news network in prob the entire country.

Since we cut Bailey and haven't re-signed Palardy - I'm feeling a 4th round Punter coming.

I think the slow WR market bodes well for Meyers returning. And I'd also be happy to grab Gesicki or Shultz.
Then, re-sign Harris & Peppers & Ekuale - all of them should come back on very low, team-friendly deals.

3 years $51M for a guy I've never heard of despite being fairly good with recognizing names. My God.
He’s a good player and will make an impact on that team.
I may opinok jets
I like Gesicki, but he can't block a lick and neither can Hunter Henry, so it'd probably be a bad allocation of resources, those two guys are redundant players (even though I think Gesicki is better as a receiver).
That said id still take
Since we cut Bailey and haven't re-signed Palardy - I'm feeling a 4th round Punter coming.
rbis
I think the slow WR market bodes well for Meyers returning. And I'd also be happy to grab Gesicki or Shultz.
Then, re-sign Harris & Peppers & Ekuale - all of them should come back on very low, team-friendly deals.
Sprinkle in a trade for Jeudy and I like what we are building.

It may actually work out that way - Mills returning to FS to fill the DMac role.
Especially with all the Joneses looking to perhaps lock down the starting CB positions. The only unknown is if Jon Jones goes back to Slot, then they might get another legit outside CB. Leaving Marcus as a nickel/backup in Slot & CB. But Jack looked ready to win the CB2 job.
Bryant can take a hike.

It may actually work out that way - Mills returning to FS to fill the DMac role.
Especially with all the Joneses looking to perhaps lock down the starting CB positions. The only unknown is if Jon Jones goes back to Slot, then they might get another legit outside CB. Leaving Marcus as a nickel/backup in Slot & CB. But Jack looked ready to win the CB2 job.
Bryant can take a hike.
Mills who is their biggest corner I believe leaves a gaping hole on the outside for a team that’s in desperate need of a big body on the perimeter.

This FA class is kind of crappy, which it seems made the two you mentioned skyrocket in value. That's a big risk on Edmunds, particularly since Buffalo's D around him was so good - makes his job easier.
This is exactly the thing. And people have been saying this about the FA class for months now. We all want them to sign talented players. They have the cap room. But as soon as you ask some one, who do you want to sign? No one has an answer.

At this point, we have to hope the Patriots scouted enough young vets on their 2nd contract who might help us. They are out there. But they don't deserve max $18m contracts.

Other than LT Orlando Brown (who is not even that great player), no one is deserving of an $18m contract in free agency.

I think the pats are set up nice to make a run at Orlando if they want him

Gilmore wasn't an All-Pro when the Patriots gave him the bag. He had made one Pro-Bowl as an alternate in 5 years in Buffalo at that point. Edmunds has made two.
Welp, that's good info. Edmunds is certainly not trending that way, as he hasn't made it the last 2 years. But he has warts in his game, unlike Gilmore. Edmunds provides exactly what the Patriots needed, but he freelances, he's undisciplined, and can't get off a block (it's a mistake to pay $18m for that).

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back